96 SL 2 has a boring noise

Old May 16th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default 96 SL 2 has a boring noise

The mechanic told my friend her 96 SL2's noise came from the A/C
compressor. The repair fee is even more expensive than the car. But till
now, everything works fine. Even A/C also works very well. Does she need
to get the problem fixed? What's the exact reason of so much noise? Thanks
a million in advance.

Old May 17th 06, 08:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"Leeinwind" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> The mechanic told my friend her 96 SL2's noise came from the A/C
> compressor. The repair fee is even more expensive than the car. But till
> now, everything works fine. Even A/C also works very well. Does she need
> to get the problem fixed? What's the exact reason of so much noise? Thanks
> a million in advance.

More description of the noise is needed. Many things could be making noise.
Alternator noise is common right before the alternator dies.

Ken

Old May 17th 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Wed, 17 May 2006 03:24:20 -0400, "NapalmHeart" >
wrote:

>"Leeinwind" > wrote in message
alkaboutautos.com...
>> The mechanic told my friend her 96 SL2's noise came from the A/C
>> compressor. The repair fee is even more expensive than the car. But till
>> now, everything works fine. Even A/C also works very well. Does she need
>> to get the problem fixed? What's the exact reason of so much noise? Thanks
>> a million in advance.
>>

>More description of the noise is needed. Many things could be making noise.
>Alternator noise is common right before the alternator dies.
>
>Ken

A/C compressor can get pretty noisy before they fail and it is not
uncommon at all. If you are mechanically inclinded, you might consider
changing the compressor yourself as they can be had rebuilt for less
than 200 bucks and then pay someone to recharge system. You do not
wnat to go to a dealer to get this fixed price wise.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old May 17th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Now I'm almost sure the noise comes from the A/C compressor. How long could
my friend still use her A/C? Would it last this summer? Is it helpful to
charge oil into the compressor? Thanks a million.

Old May 18th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Wed, 17 May 2006 17:27:36 -0400, "Leeinwind"
> wrote:

>Now I'm almost sure the noise comes from the A/C compressor. How long could
>my friend still use her A/C? Would it last this summer? Is it helpful to
>charge oil into the compressor? Thanks a million.

Depending on how bad the noise is, not likely and adding more oil will
raise head pressure and speed its desime. I have seen them seize up
and snap the drive belt when they get bad enough (it happened to a
freind a few years ago)
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old May 18th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"Leeinwind" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Now I'm almost sure the noise comes from the A/C compressor. How long
> could
> my friend still use her A/C? Would it last this summer? Is it helpful to
> charge oil into the compressor? Thanks a million.

The first thing you really need to do is be 100% sure where the noise is
coming from. Replacing parts in a search of a diagnosis is an expensive
proposition.

Ken

Old May 18th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Wed, 17 May 2006 21:45:00 -0400, "NapalmHeart" >
wrote:

>The first thing you really need to do is be 100% sure where the noise is
>coming from. Replacing parts in a search of a diagnosis is an expensive
>proposition.

AC compressor wear and noise is pretty common with age and easy to
acsertain too. No sense in looking for other gremlins that do not
exist and planting false hopes.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old May 18th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

So what could I do now? It has been checked by another friend who is also
pretty sure the noise coming from the A/C compressor.

Old May 18th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Thu, 18 May 2006 10:31:39 -0400, "Leeinwind"
> wrote:

>So what could I do now? It has been checked by another friend who is also
>pretty sure the noise coming from the A/C compressor.

Replace it or wait tell it lets go and hope it does lock up first. If
it is a bearing the noise will be constant more or less but if it is
in the compressor internals, it will get loader as it get warmer
outside and pressure in compressor rises. Both are terminal but the
bearing is more li9kely to seize up suddenly one day.
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old May 19th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Whenever I hear a boring noise in my car, it's usually the mother-in-law.

lkaboutautos.com...