'92 SL1 cooling fam wont come on

Old April 16th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default '92 SL1 cooling fam wont come on

In article .com>,
says...
> They are simple little cars but as for well enginered they should have
> a Rebuild Engine light that comes on after 200,000km I have always used
> 100% synthetic oil in all my cars and have had wonderfull luck but my
> SC1 had to rebuild the engine @ 205,000. My 3 Chryslers had over
> 350,000kms and my Hyundai had close to 400,000 oh and my Crown Vic went
> to 400,000 so in short the engine is crap.

Lots of people are well past 200,000km (124,274 miles) on their S-
series Saturns. BTW SC1 equals SOHC. If you want to bash the cheap SOHC
engine be my guess but dont lump all of Saturn together like a bigot. I
dont care what Make of car you buy, every car company produces bad
models and good models. You're opinion comes from owning the cheapest
engine Saturn offerd.

If you need a 3rd clutch in a car with only 257,000km (159,692miles) on
it then I'd say its not the Saturn that is the issue. The one s-series
that was in my family (hard driven-94-twincam-manual) had over 140k
miles on it before being sold and the ONLY serious issue was it needed a
new heatercore because the conventional green coolant was old and ate
through the aluminum tubing. I've seen plenty of GM vehicles well past
1,100,000km (700k miles) with not much more than a few alternator
replacements.
Old April 16th 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

well for your information the 1.9L SOHC and the DOHC had the same
bottom end (Short Block) and the same rings they only changed the
cylinder head to give them the extra power. Plus the DOHC engine was
renowned for having alot of the heads crack around 100,000km. I could
go on forever with all the problems with my Saturn as well as horor
stories from freinds that have one. Dont get me wrong this car is fun
to drive when I can actualy drive it. Being a licenced Macanic is
definatly a plus if you own one cause they cheap and easy to fix, they
just need alot of fixing.

Old April 16th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Now about those wires?Do the green and grey wires go to the left or on the
right ?....Mark
oups.com...

Old April 16th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

MARK wrote:
> Well , ok , I was juist concerend that it might be over heating.I try to
> take care of my cars , although this is
> my sons car, I have been fixing it,and am new to Saturns.We bought it for
> $300.00 It needed a clutch, cv joints and thats was it.It has 184K miles on
> it, sun roof and looked good.I have found the car to be very well engineered
> and pretty simple to work on SO FAR.....LOL.....Mark
> PS: on the back of thge motor there are 2 sensors of some kind, one has 2
> wires going to it(one yellow) na dthe other has 1 wire .What is the correct
> postion of these wires?... Mark

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on the car. My 94 SC2 now has
203,600 miles on her. She is my daily driver, and gets me through my
100 mile per day commute here in Colorado.
As far as everything going to crap after 200,000 miles...same thing
happens with other cars...I have even had brand new cars from the
dealer that had motor problems straight from the plant. None of them
are perfect, or come close. And with things getting worse...major
layoffs at GM and Ford...I don't expect any major improvements anytime
soon.
I paid $800 for my car 15 months ago with 155,000 miles on it. Of
course I put some money into it (and a ton of elbow grease!)...after
driving to Michigan from Colorado 3 times in 2 months last summer. I
like getting things replaced before they fail.

I will gladly replace my entire motor when the time comes, than be
stuck with a car payment. For the gas mileage and safer ride, I will
keep driving my S-series and probably add another this summer.

Another place to find great help, if you haven't found it already is
saturnfans.com. They are awesome over there too, and helped me learn a
ton about my car.

Lori
Evans, Colorado
94SC2 Red
A Saturn fan for life...cause my life depends on it!

Old April 16th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

> Plus the DOHC engine was
> renowned for having alot of the heads crack around 100,000km.

SOHC engines had the head cracking issue, as far as I'm aware. In the 13
years I've been a Saturn owner, I've never heard of a cracked DOHC head (and
I've read this newsgroup most of that time too).

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

oups.com...

Old April 17th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

The computer determines when to turn the fan on. Its based NOT on what
you see on your dash panel - that is connected to the top sensor.
The computer uses the lower sensor (with the two wires) to determine
when the engine is hot.
Is your car equiped with A/C? When you turn on your A/C and the
compressor engages the fan should come on. Otherwise your fan could
be bad. I have gone through two cooling fans in two SC Saturns.

I have also replace the engine's coolant temperature sensor on both of
those Saturns. Each time they thanked me with a 5mpg increase in
milage.

Old April 18th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Well, thanks alot for the info.MAybe I'm just used to it coming on in my
other vehicals when it gets past half way.I checked the fan, the fusses and
realys and they all work.Im just amazed that it just goes to half way and
not father without the fan coming on... does that sound crazy?...lol....
Mark
ups.com...