Temp gauge reads cold

Old January 20th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Temp gauge reads cold

James1549 wrote:
> << as a cool engine means cool oil that will not
> lubricate very well and the engine wear will be about 10x normal. >>
>
> I will never agree with that part of your statement! James

The viscosity of the oil blend is established and tested by the oil
manufacturer based on its expected operating temperature. If the
temperature is below that point, the viscosity will be higher and the
oil will not lubricate as well, causing increased (and completely
unnecessary) wear of the engine components. I've seen engines fail
after being operated for 10-20k miles with a leaking thermostat that
should have lasted another 100k miles. On Saturns, the timing chain
will sometimes fail after extended operation at cool temperatures.
Thermostats are cheap so put one in if you need one. I agree with
others, though, that the original poster needs a CTS, not a thermostat.

--
Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
and IBM Web Browser v2.0.5
Old January 20th 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Personally I would purchase from the dealer. But if NAPA or another
store is closer, go for it. Replace the AIT sensor at the same time, I
think they are the same sensor. James

Old January 21st 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Kevin M. Keller wrote:
> "James1549" > typed until their fingers bled, and came up
> with:
>

>>Personally I would purchase from the dealer. But if NAPA or another
>>store is closer, go for it. Replace the AIT sensor at the same time, I
>>think they are the same sensor. James
>>

> I missed the early part of this thread that gave the year of the car...
>
> in OBD1 Saturns ('91-'95) there are 2 temp sensors in the head - a 2 wire,
> that is the same as the IAT sensor that goes teh the PCM, and a 1 wire that
> only runs the guage. OBD2 )'96-'02) have 1 sensor of the 2 wire variety
> that goes to the PCM, which then sends that same signal on up to the guage.
> Sooo - if you have a "91-'95, and it is running fine, no rush to replace
> that sensor.

Thanks for clearing that up. I've been looking for that extra sensor
that is supposed to be the same part as the CTS, with no luck (this is a
1998 model).

By the way, I put in a new brass coolant temp sensor from Kragen (Napa
was closed and Saturn is 80 miles away) last night. Today, the temp
went up to about 1/4 after the engine warmed up. That's more like what
I'm used to. Hopefully that will clear up the cruddy mileage we've been
getting lately, too.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I love this newsgroup!
Old January 21st 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

> Thanks for clearing that up. I've been looking for that extra sensor
> that is supposed to be the same part as the CTS, with no luck (this is a
> 1998 model).

98's dont have 2 CTS's.

> By the way, I put in a new brass coolant temp sensor from Kragen (Napa
> was closed and Saturn is 80 miles away) last night. Today, the temp
> went up to about 1/4 after the engine warmed up. That's more like what
> I'm used to. Hopefully that will clear up the cruddy mileage we've been
> getting lately, too.
>
> Thanks to everyone for the help. I love this newsgroup!

A CTS that fools the computer into think it is still cold will run rich.
A rich running engine will also run cooler.
Old January 21st 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

that extra sensor is at the front grill area.. that box that holds your
air filter look in fron and below it.. you'll see it attached to the
intake plastic horn that goes to the filter box..
I would replace it also.. for it will influence your milage.
In cool weather my saturn (97) runs just a tad over 1/4 and in the
summer just a tad over 1/2. When my sensor was bad my rpms were also up
when cold around 1500 -1800 now when cold they are at about 1100 then
when she warms up drops to 900

Old January 21st 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

" > typed until their fingers bled,
and came up with:

> that extra sensor is at the front grill area..

NO. That is the Intake Air Temperature sensor. It is identical to the
Coolant Temperature Sensor.

In '91 to '95 S-series Saturns, there is a 2nd Coolant Temperature sensor
that runs the guage on the dash. It is different that the other 2 sensors,
in that it only has 1 wire coming off of it.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com