Mystery part number

Old November 18th 05, 08:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Mystery part number

I have a tough one. I have a 1993 Miata, with the 1.6L (obviously).
There is a hose that runs from the thermostat housing down teh front of
the block, and connects to an "elbow" or "barb" or "tube" that comes
out of the block. What is the part number for that "elbow," "tube," or
"barb."

I have seen pictures and web pages that reference that hose assemply.
The parts book at the dealership shows the hose and the two spring
clips to hold it in place. However, no one has been able to find a part
number.

The problem that I have, which seems to be not uncommon, is that the
"elbow" has been eroded and is leaking. I have used Permatex as a
temporary solution, simply because the piece was easily removable by
hand, so I figure it is not under extreme pressure like the main
cooling system. But, I need the proper replacement part.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it, as would the parts manager
of my local dealership.

Old November 18th 05, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"AMStar" > wrote:

>I have a tough one. I have a 1993 Miata, with the 1.6L (obviously).
>There is a hose that runs from the thermostat housing down teh front of
>the block, and connects to an "elbow" or "barb" or "tube" that comes
>out of the block. What is the part number for that "elbow," "tube," or
>"barb."
>
>I have seen pictures and web pages that reference that hose assemply.
>The parts book at the dealership shows the hose and the two spring
>clips to hold it in place. However, no one has been able to find a part
>number.
>
>The problem that I have, which seems to be not uncommon, is that the
>"elbow" has been eroded and is leaking. I have used Permatex as a
>temporary solution, simply because the piece was easily removable by
>hand, so I figure it is not under extreme pressure like the main
>cooling system. But, I need the proper replacement part.
>
>If anyone can help, I would appreciate it, as would the parts manager
>of my local dealership.

Maybe try ordering it from trussvillemazda? They deal with large
numbers of parts.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old November 18th 05, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

trussvillemazda.com and gomiata.com sells complete hose kits (9 hoses for
90-93) for about $75.
call them to see if you can buy the specific hose that you want separately
but you may just want to replace them all... i recently blew a hose and was
charged $45 for the two heater hoses, plus labor, plus 2 gallons of
antifreeze (where did they put all that antifreeze?)... upon inspection they
were not even correct fit. makes $75 seem cheap to me for a oem custom fit
set.

oups.com...

Old November 18th 05, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

ps. trusvillemazda.com also sells the replacement firewall grommets for the
the two heater hoses that run throught the firewall... these probably
should be replaced too.

Old November 18th 05, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Christopher Muto wrote:
> trussvillemazda.com and gomiata.com sells complete hose kits (9 hoses for
> 90-93) for about $75.
> call them to see if you can buy the specific hose that you want separately
> but you may just want to replace them all... i recently blew a hose and was
> charged $45 for the two heater hoses, plus labor, plus 2 gallons of
> antifreeze (where did they put all that antifreeze?)... upon inspection they
> were not even correct fit. makes $75 seem cheap to me for a oem custom fit
> set.

I think that he is talking about the metal piece that the hose attaches
to, though after 13 years, I agree that it would be a very good idea to
replace all of the hoses if they are original.
Same goes with the engine belts.

That sucks that they got the hose sizes wrong on your car, but not
shocking. I guess it might have been cheaper to have the car towed to
the dealer, but when a hose bursts on the road, you gotta do what you
gotta do. :-/

To the original poster, I don't have the part number but I might have
the part itself. Do you have a picture of it?
If I have it and it is in good condition, I would sell it to you for a
very low cost.

Pat
Old November 18th 05, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I don't have a picture of it. And, if I did, the picture would not be
very good, since the part was corroded away.
Basically, it is a small tube, or pipe, that has a 90 degree turn, not
really a bend, in it. It connects to the engine block to the right of
the water pump, and to the small hose running to the "T" off of the
thermostat housing.

I am sure that your part would be much better than mine, but I am
probably not the only one who needs this part, or will need it. So, I
will probably take you up on your offer, but this part still needs a
number.

Old November 18th 05, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"AMStar" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I don't have a picture of it. And, if I did, the picture would not be
> very good, since the part was corroded away.
> Basically, it is a small tube, or pipe, that has a 90 degree turn, not
> really a bend, in it. It connects to the engine block to the right of
> the water pump, and to the small hose running to the "T" off of the
> thermostat housing.
>
> I am sure that your part would be much better than mine, but I am
> probably not the only one who needs this part, or will need it. So, I
> will probably take you up on your offer, but this part still needs a
> number.

My manual shows a small hose connecting to what is termed the "outlet pipe".
It is bolted to the block. Is this possibly what you are after?

Old November 18th 05, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

If memory serves, the part is not available as a single part. It was pressed
into another expensive part.
The problem is to remove the remains of the rusted or broken tube, and
replace it. One method that has been used is to thread the castomg, and use
an appropriately sized threaded pipe oe fitting.
oups.com...

Old November 19th 05, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I think the 'outlet pipe' is the upper connection of the hose in question
(at the base of the thermostat) I think he's looking for what it connects to
at the lower end, right?

Chris
92BB&T
99BBB

Old November 19th 05, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

the part in questions may be what is discussed on the bottom of this page,
under the 'solution' section...
http://www.miata.net/garage/cooling_system.html
"a 90-degree metal barb for connection of the rubber bypass line at the
water pump inlet."

oups.com...