Ion vs. Chevy Cobalt: same car?

Old October 25th 05, 01:57 AM

Default Ion vs. Chevy Cobalt: same car?

Kevin M. Keller wrote:
> typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:
>

> > Also, one more question, if I may: Does the L300 still come with the
> > 4-cylinder engine that everyone raved about? A quick check at MSN Auto
> > indicates the L300 can only be had with the V-6 now.

> The L series is over after the '05 model year. The L200 had the EcoTec 4
> banger in it - the L300 only had the V6.

Ah, that explains it. I shouild have paid closer attention.
Thanks....ERM

Old October 25th 05, 02:13 AM

blah blah wrote:
(SNIP)

> Eric, step up a little from the Cobalt (man that really doesnt roll of
> the tongue) and take a look at a 2.2L Malibu. Its a bit more in base
> price but you do get more car for the money and you get about the same
> MPG. Just stay away from the 3.5L.

Thanks for the advice. The Malibu 4-cylinder might be worth a look. I
was told several times never to buy the old version of the Malibu,
circa 1999, because it had a horrible side-crash-test rating and some
said it also had a propensity to catch fire in crashes, though I never
saw a convincing cite for that.

The 'new' version seems to be better. It's almost the perfect size for
my wants and needs and it has pretty decent standard equipment, but as
always it comes down to money. As noted, I really want to buy new if I
can afford it and a new Malibu with ABS will be just about $20K with
tax, transfer, etc.

Of course I will get a decent trade-in on my 2000 SL2, and maybe I can
negotiate a few hundred off the list price---truth be told, I prefer
Saturn's no-haggling policy, but I'll take what I can get---but it's
still a chuck of change. Cars are just too damn expensive.

Also, getting back to gas mileage: It amazes me the Malibu 4-cylinder
automatic actually gets better mileage on the highway, at least per EPA
tests, than the much smaller and lighter Colbalt or Ion. Whatever
happened to the laws of physics?

Regards,

Eric M

Old October 25th 05, 03:10 AM
blah blah

In article . com>,
says...

> blah blah wrote:
> (SNIP)
> >
> > Eric, step up a little from the Cobalt (man that really doesnt roll of
> > the tongue) and take a look at a 2.2L Malibu. Its a bit more in base
> > price but you do get more car for the money and you get about the same
> > MPG. Just stay away from the 3.5L.

> Thanks for the advice. The Malibu 4-cylinder might be worth a look. I
> was told several times never to buy the old version of the Malibu,
> circa 1999, because it had a horrible side-crash-test rating and some
> said it also had a propensity to catch fire in crashes, though I never
> saw a convincing cite for that.
>
> The 'new' version seems to be better. It's almost the perfect size for
> my wants and needs and it has pretty decent standard equipment, but as
> always it comes down to money. As noted, I really want to buy new if I
> can afford it and a new Malibu with ABS will be just about $20K with
> tax, transfer, etc.
>
> Of course I will get a decent trade-in on my 2000 SL2, and maybe I can
> negotiate a few hundred off the list price---truth be told, I prefer
> Saturn's no-haggling policy, but I'll take what I can get---but it's
> still a chuck of change. Cars are just too damn expensive.
>
> Also, getting back to gas mileage: It amazes me the Malibu 4-cylinder
> automatic actually gets better mileage on the highway, at least per EPA
> tests, than the much smaller and lighter Colbalt or Ion. Whatever
> happened to the laws of physics?
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric M

Physics still apply but they are less obvious

06' 2.2 Cobalt/Ion
Final Drive Ratio 3.63

06' 2.2 Malibu
Final Drive Ratio 3.29

Either one should easily meet or exceed they're rated mpg from the EPA.
Both are about 3100 pounds. The earlier Malibu's didnt use an Ecotec so
its not what you're looking for anyway.

Old October 25th 05, 07:18 AM
Art

Check the weekend ads. You should get the Malibu for invoice. Check out
www.edmunds.com and www.kbb.com to get a handle on what the new car should
cost and what your trade is worth. You might try selling the car privately
although be careful on the form of payment because people can forge bank
checks. Last time I sold a car, we did the deal at the bank and I watched
him get the check. I explained why and he wasn't insulted. I wouldn't be
either.

ups.com...

Old October 26th 05, 12:32 AM
teem

My '03 Ion should get way bettere gas milage,it sucks,had it almost 3
years w/37K now,11 gallon tank & without a/c i'm lucky to get 390
miles.On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:40:50 GMT, SMS

Old October 27th 05, 06:25 AM

Better gas mileage than I get.

I drive an Ion3 5spd and the most I can usually get about 450km (city
driving) which I
believe is about 280miles.

wrote:

>>> That's at the high end of my price range, but I have this dream of
>>> getting a quality new car, taking great care of it, paying it off and
>>> then riding off to Paradise in it, without major problems, for a few
>>> years after that, Just because it's never happended to me or anyone I
>>> know so far, does not mean it can't happen now....

>>Look at the Corolla. Built in Fremont, California in a UAW factory.
>>
>>For the people I know, paying a car off and riding into paradise is the
>>rule, rather than the exception. The problem is more that they get a
>>little tired of having the same car for ten years.
>>
>>I've been looking at small sedans with the following criteria:
>>
>>Minimum of 40 mpg hwy
>>Maximum of 9 seconds, 0-60
>>Maximum street price of $14K
>>ABS
>>Manual
>>No hyrids
>>Minimum of "G" for IIHS front crash test.
>>Minimum of "A" for IIHS side crash test (there are no "G's" in this
>>segment)
>>
>>The only vehicle that meets this criteria is the Corolla, though the new
>>Civic may also meet it, but it hasn't been crash tested yet.
>>
>>The Ion doesn't do as well as the Cobalt in crash testing. In fact the
>>Cobalt is top-rated for safety, in its segement.

1994 Chevy s10 tailpipe driving me nuts fred Driving 8 July 17th 05 06:28 AM
Cracked Dashboard on Late-model Chevy Cavalier Daniel J. Stern Driving 13 May 28th 05 04:24 AM
Cracked Dashboard on Late-model Chevy Cavalier [email protected] Technology 18 May 28th 05 04:24 AM
CHEVY CAVALIERS Honda Hater Technology 6 May 10th 05 03:43 AM
Buying 1955 Chevy 210 4-door, comments wanted Alex Antique cars 1 December 2nd 03 04:12 PM