Ion vs. Chevy Cobalt: same car?

Old October 24th 05, 12:21 AM

Default Ion vs. Chevy Cobalt: same car?

I might be in the mrket for a new car next year and two of the
reasonable choices in my price range are the Saturn Ion and the
Cevrolet Coabalt. (Of course another option is to buy a bigger, safer
higher-end vehicle used, but I want to go new if I can; I've fought
most of the used car battles over the years, though for the most part
I'm satisfied with my current Saturn SL2, bought used with 30K miles in
April 2003.)

Anyway, I've been looking into both cars online and I was struck by the
many similarities or identical features between the two, even
considering they are both compacts made by GM. Then of course I read
that they are built on the same platform and the light bulb went
off....

What if any are the key differences between the Ion and the Cobalt? Is
anyone out there in the sane boat as me: looking at both cars and
scratching your head? Anyone driven both?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Eric M

Old October 24th 05, 12:27 AM

wrote:
> I might be in the mrket for a new car next year and two of the
> reasonable choices in my price range are the Saturn Ion and the
> Cevrolet Coabalt. (Of course another option is to buy a bigger, safer
> higher-end vehicle used, but I want to go new if I can; I've fought
> most of the used car battles over the years, though for the most part
> I'm satisfied with my current Saturn SL2, bought used with 30K miles in
> April 2003.)
>
> Anyway, I've been looking into both cars online and I was struck by the
> many similarities or identical features between the two, even
> considering they are both compacts made by GM. Then of course I read
> that they are built on the same platform and the light bulb went
> off....
>
> What if any are the key differences between the Ion and the Cobalt? Is
> anyone out there in the sane boat as me: looking at both cars and
> scratching your head? Anyone driven both?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric M

Sorry for the typos above. Yes I speak English and no I am not drunk;
just need to force myself to review the message before I hit
"send."....

BTW the gas mileage for both gives me pause. I will likely get the
automatic tranny, which only yields 24/32 per EPA. That seems a bit low
to me for a car this size with a 4-cylinder engine....ERM

Old October 24th 05, 01:17 AM
Steve Mackie

Car and Driver seems to prefer the Cobalt over the Ion. I would say go look
over the "fit and finish" and "touchy feely" of both cars in person. From my
first impressions I would prefer the Cobalt over the Ion, but that's my
opinion. Other people will probably say "same ****, different pile."

Steve

oups.com...

Old October 24th 05, 03:24 AM

Steve Mackie wrote:
> Car and Driver seems to prefer the Cobalt over the Ion. I would say go look
> over the "fit and finish" and "touchy feely" of both cars in person. From my
> first impressions I would prefer the Cobalt over the Ion, but that's my
> opinion. Other people will probably say "same ****, different pile."
>
> Steve

Thanks. It is amazing the difference in the reviews for what is in many
ways almost the same car. I'd still like to see better gas mileage for
a car this size with a four-cylinder, but if I decide to go through
with my plan to buy a new car early next year I will look closely at
both the Ion and the Cobalt---and might consider the Saturn L-series,
if it still comes with a four-cylinder, which does not appear to be the
case.

That's at the high end of my price range, but I have this dream of
getting a quality new car, taking great care of it, paying it off and
then riding off to Paradise in it, without major problems, for a few
years after that, Just because it's never happended to me or anyone I
know so far, does not mean it can't happen now....

Regards,
Eric M

Old October 24th 05, 06:52 AM
Art

My wife rents cars from National several times per month on company trips.
The Cobalt was the first car that she thought was decent. Normally she
dreads the GM stuff she has to choose from. From what I've read, GM spent a
few hundred bucks extra per car to reduce noise, vibration and harshness.
About time. Notwithstanding, Consumer Reports was less then thrilled.

My father has a L300 wagon with the 6. Quite frankly, I cannot believe how
bad it is. The steering is numb and the engine has no power at the low end
unless you use mid grade gas. The AC evaporator fan is incredibly noisy
when it is running high speed. The rear seats are uncomfortable. His is
all optioned up with leather.

I would look at the PT Cruiser which has an excellent repair record,
comparable to imports, and Toyota. Also the quality of the Focus has
improved dramatically. A friend of mine has one and loves it.

oups.com...

Old October 24th 05, 08:25 AM
blah blah

> My father has a L300 wagon with the 6. Quite frankly, I cannot believe how
> bad it is. The steering is numb and the engine has no power at the low end
> unless you use mid grade gas. The AC evaporator fan is incredibly noisy
> when it is running high speed. The rear seats are uncomfortable. His is
> all optioned up with leather.
>
> I would look at the PT Cruiser which has an excellent repair record,
> comparable to imports, and Toyota.

Oh so its terrible and expensive to maintain?
Screw the 3.0's and PT Loser's. The only rare Limited edition PT is the
non Limited edition. Chryslers are a b*tch to work on, just like working
on 3.0's in Saturns....

Eric, step up a little from the Cobalt (man that really doesnt roll of
the tongue) and take a look at a 2.2L Malibu. Its a bit more in base
price but you do get more car for the money and you get about the same
MPG. Just stay away from the 3.5L.
Old October 24th 05, 05:08 PM
Art

I test drove a Malibu Maxx. Not a bad ride but check out the rear roof
shade. If they haven't fixed the design it is ridiculously cheap. Details
like that are why people give up on GM cars. Instead of fixing the details,
GM spends a billion on a new platform. I can't figure it out. Just sweat
the details and people would like the cars they have.

"blah blah" > wrote in message

>> My father has a L300 wagon with the 6. Quite frankly, I cannot believe
>> how
>> bad it is. The steering is numb and the engine has no power at the low
>> end
>> unless you use mid grade gas. The AC evaporator fan is incredibly noisy
>> when it is running high speed. The rear seats are uncomfortable. His is
>> all optioned up with leather.
>>
>> I would look at the PT Cruiser which has an excellent repair record,
>> comparable to imports, and Toyota.

> Oh so its terrible and expensive to maintain?
> Screw the 3.0's and PT Loser's. The only rare Limited edition PT is the
> non Limited edition. Chryslers are a b*tch to work on, just like working
> on 3.0's in Saturns....
>
> Eric, step up a little from the Cobalt (man that really doesnt roll of
> the tongue) and take a look at a 2.2L Malibu. Its a bit more in base
> price but you do get more car for the money and you get about the same
> MPG. Just stay away from the 3.5L.

1994 Chevy s10 tailpipe driving me nuts fred Driving 8 July 17th 05 06:28 AM
Cracked Dashboard on Late-model Chevy Cavalier Daniel J. Stern Driving 13 May 28th 05 04:24 AM
Cracked Dashboard on Late-model Chevy Cavalier [email protected] Technology 18 May 28th 05 04:24 AM
CHEVY CAVALIERS Honda Hater Technology 6 May 10th 05 03:43 AM
Buying 1955 Chevy 210 4-door, comments wanted Alex Antique cars 1 December 2nd 03 04:12 PM