Synthetic Oil Questions

Old November 2nd 05, 01:15 PM

Default Synthetic Oil Questions

I have always used Mogile 1 oil and have 148k on my 97 sl2.
I did a heck of a lot of research prior than picking abd synthetic and
Mobil 1 won out on all.. and it is the only non detergent syn out
there.
I also use the BEST oil filter I can and if available would use mobile
1's oil filter ($10) a pop. The thing that sold me the most was the
motorhome test that used mobile one in a 440 dodge for 100k miles then
broke down the engine and found NO apprecable wear at all on the
engine. The last car I had use to have an oil pressure gauge and even
at -20 out it would start and go immediatly to 60 psi oil pressure..
wish there was a way to put an oil guage on the saturn but saturn says
no.

Old November 3rd 05, 06:57 AM
Lane

> wish there was a way to put an oil guage on the saturn but saturn says
> no.

No, they won't do it? Or, no, they feel there is no way?

I have oil pressure & oil temp gauges on both of my Saturns and it's not
that difficult to do. I don't know that this would tell you anything useful
on a street-driven car, but if you want to install one, info on what I did
is he http://www.evilplastic.com/94mod4.htm#gauges .

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

oups.com...

Old November 3rd 05, 01:49 PM

Lane wrote:
> > wish there was a way to put an oil guage on the saturn but saturn says
> > no.

> No, they won't do it? Or, no, they feel there is no way?

No they feel there is no way. Of course we were looking to adapt the
current oil sensor to have both and that might be the problem.. May I
ask how and where you connected your electronic sensor to. I have a 97
sl2 stick. Also you have done some excellent things to your vehicles..
they look sharp.
Those dog bones.. did they help the saturn buzz when it is cold?? I
changed the upper mount for it was ripped along the bottom and that
helped 95%. I took one of the bones off and it was metal with rubber
bushings so I was afraid to install the solid rubber ones. Never looked
at the drivers side but I'll be checking it when I check the
transmission mount..

Thanks
Phil

Old November 3rd 05, 02:03 PM
C. E. White

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have always used Mogile 1 oil and have 148k on my 97 sl2.
> I did a heck of a lot of research prior than picking abd synthetic and
> Mobil 1 won out on all.. and it is the only non detergent syn out
> there.

NON-DETERGENT????????? What do you mean? Mobil 1 definitely includes
detergents just like conventional motor oils. Maybe you mean it doesn't
include vicosity improvers?

> I also use the BEST oil filter I can and if available would use mobile
> 1's oil filter ($10) a pop. The thing that sold me the most was the
> motorhome test that used mobile one in a 440 dodge for 100k miles then
> broke down the engine and found NO apprecable wear at all on the
> engine. The last car I had use to have an oil pressure gauge and even
> at -20 out it would start and go immediatly to 60 psi oil pressure..
> wish there was a way to put an oil guage on the saturn but saturn says
> no.

If there is an oil pressure switch, there is a way to add a guage. Just go
to www.jcwhitney.com and search for one.

BTW, The often criticized Consumer Reports oil evaluation (using taxi cabs)
found very little wear when conventional oil was used. They saw no
substantial difference in wear between conventional and synthetic oil when
it was changed regularly.

Ed

Old November 3rd 05, 05:27 PM
blah blah

In article >,
says...

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I have always used Mogile 1 oil and have 148k on my 97 sl2.
> > I did a heck of a lot of research prior than picking abd synthetic and
> > Mobil 1 won out on all.. and it is the only non detergent syn out
> > there.

> NON-DETERGENT????????? What do you mean? Mobil 1 definitely includes
> detergents just like conventional motor oils. Maybe you mean it doesn't
> include vicosity improvers?
>
> > I also use the BEST oil filter I can and if available would use mobile
> > 1's oil filter ($10) a pop. The thing that sold me the most was the
> > motorhome test that used mobile one in a 440 dodge for 100k miles then
> > broke down the engine and found NO apprecable wear at all on the
> > engine. The last car I had use to have an oil pressure gauge and even
> > at -20 out it would start and go immediatly to 60 psi oil pressure..
> > wish there was a way to put an oil guage on the saturn but saturn says
> > no.

> If there is an oil pressure switch, there is a way to add a guage. Just go
www.jcwhitney.com and search for one.

> BTW, The often criticized Consumer Reports oil evaluation (using taxi cabs)
> found very little wear when conventional oil was used. They saw no
> substantial difference in wear between conventional and synthetic oil when
> it was changed regularly.
>
> Ed

Taxi Cabs dont do enough cold start cycles to wear out an engine. Thats
where you get a majority of the wear these days.

Every car will have an oil pressure "light". A oil pressure "gage" is
sometimes not optional. The difference in the sensors would be that one
is a "switch" while the other is a "potentiometer". You can install the
potentiometer type but where are you going to stick the readout? Thats
where the dealer probably had an issue. Personally I think trying to
change that would be a waste of money.

Old November 7th 05, 02:59 AM
Steve Barker LT

The '94 sl1 I had now has 234,000 on it. Never used anythin but an AC oil
filter and straight 30 no name oil. Changed at 3k. Oil's oil if you change
it regular. No need for $ynthetics except to line the makers pockets.

--
Steve Barker

oups.com...