1600 Single port engine?

Old August 31st 05, 08:24 AM
Bart Bervoets

Default 1600 Single port engine?

Stripped down a rusted beyond repair brazilian bus, found on the back
a tag saying 1600, but the engine is a single port.
I assumed they never made a 1600 single port but only went to 1500.
So now, can anyone tell me what i have here and if i should do it up?

Bart Bervoets
Old August 31st 05, 09:11 AM
Juper Wort

"Bart Bervoets" > wrote in message
> Stripped down a rusted beyond repair brazilian bus, found on the back
> a tag saying 1600, but the engine is a single port.
> I assumed they never made a 1600 single port but only went to 1500.
> So now, can anyone tell me what i have here and if i should do it up?
>
> Bart Bervoets

Bart.
My 73 bay has a 1600single port. Less likely to have cracked heads & seems
to have more lower end grunt.

James

Old August 31st 05, 03:22 PM
Jan Andersson

Bart Bervoets wrote:
> Stripped down a rusted beyond repair brazilian bus, found on the back
> a tag saying 1600, but the engine is a single port.
> I assumed they never made a 1600 single port but only went to 1500.
> So now, can anyone tell me what i have here and if i should do it up?
>
> Bart Bervoets

Yes they made 1600 single ports too, but they never made it to all
market areas. I hear they are common in the USA. We never got those, I
think. We got single port 1200, 1300, and 1500. All our 1600's were dual
port, as were the late model 1300's. 1200 remained single port at least
until 1988, the last model year I have worked on.

Jan
Old September 1st 05, 03:08 AM
Mel P.

Any 1500 SP engine can be made a 1600 just by increasing pistons to 85.5 mm
(or whatever size the 1600 have).

--
Mel

77 Revived Bug & 70 Ghia Cabriolet
www.geocities.com/mpernice
PARTS FOR SALE: http://www.geocities.com/njvwclub

Old September 1st 05, 07:51 AM
Bart Bervoets

Mel P. wrote:
> Any 1500 SP engine can be made a 1600 just by increasing pistons to 85.5 mm
> (or whatever size the 1600 have).

Thanks for the input, i decided to keep the engine as a future rebuild
candidate.

Bart Bervoets