55 oval carb question

Old November 22nd 04, 03:58 PM
Bill Spiliotopoulos

You don't need a new carb, stay with the original. A carb with 51K on it is
in good condition, you won't find a better one.
Stay with the original carb, unless it is obviously damaged.
If it's a carb problem, then all you have to do is clean it and readjust it.

Also check that the vacum diaphragm on the distributor is working properlly.
Remove the distributor cap, and attach a 50ml sylinge on the carb end of the
vacum hose. Use the sylinge to create vacum. You should see the points plate
in the distributor moving according to the vacum you apply. If it doesn't
move, either the point's plate binds and needs cleaning or the vacum
diaphragm is shot.

Check the advance mechanism first, then the carb, then for vacum leaks in
the inlet manifold.

Bill,
'67 bug.

. com...

Old November 22nd 04, 04:44 PM
Howard Nelson

"Bill Spiliotopoulos" > wrote in message
> You don't need a new carb, stay with the original. A carb with 51K on it

is
> in good condition, you won't find a better one.
> Stay with the original carb, unless it is obviously damaged.
> If it's a carb problem, then all you have to do is clean it and readjust

it.

> Also check that the vacum diaphragm on the distributor is working

properlly.
> Remove the distributor cap, and attach a 50ml sylinge on the carb end of

the
> vacum hose. Use the sylinge to create vacum. You should see the points

plate
> in the distributor moving according to the vacum you apply. If it doesn't
> move, either the point's plate binds and needs cleaning or the vacum
> diaphragm is shot.
>
> Check the advance mechanism first, then the carb, then for vacum leaks in
> the inlet manifold.
>
> Bill,
> '67 bug.

Thank you very much for this helpful approach. I will try these things in
that order and report back to the group with my findings (may not be soon).

Howard Nelson 55 type 1 OEM

---