Young Mr.Warman, another stumper for you.....Transmission and ABS, alternator

Old November 30th 04, 05:17 AM
John Riggs

Me too. I would have bet that some heavier electronics would have done
nicely to keep things in line...and a lot cheaper too.

Old November 30th 04, 04:21 PM
C. E. White

I have seen one weird alternator related problem that might
be worth investigation. Years ago I had an alternator that
lost one of the diodes in the rectifier bridge. This caused
some weird vibrations and some strange growling from the
belt (it was a v-belt, not a serpentine). The alternator
would charge the battery if you ran at speed, but it was
"weak" at low speeds.

Ed

Old December 1st 04, 06:52 AM
Jim Warman

I'm surprised that there are still stores that accept returns on electrical
parts...... I'm even more surprised that people shop there. Imagine..... Joe
Doofus has a problem in his car..... the framistan is fried...... he
installs a new framistan from "Arts Eager to please parts". JDs problem
fries the new framsitan. JD takes the newly pooched part back to Arts and,
in frustration, takes his car to the shop (where the framistan is replaced
after the initial problem is fixed). Billy-Joe Beergut has a pooched
framistan with no other problems. He picks a new one up at Arts and that
doesn't fix his problem...... in frustration, he returns the already faulty
framsitan and takes his car to the shop..........

Seriously, there are ramifications to the process and, in the end, Art is
the guy that's going to get shafted... since he's such a nice guy, it will
be a loss to the community. I haven't seen a store that will accept
electrical returns PERIOD for a long time. You're lucky....