how to check transmission oil level

Old July 9th 05, 09:12 PM
Glenn

Default how to check transmission oil level

Would somebody on the news group give me direction on how to check and
change the gear oil in my 1971 standard beetle.
Thanks Glenn

Old July 9th 05, 09:21 PM
Jan Andersson

Glenn wrote:

> Would somebody on the news group give me direction on how to check and
> change the gear oil in my 1971 standard beetle.
> Thanks Glenn

There is one or two drain plugs in the bottom of the transmission. Some
models have two, some only one.
The plugs are in the lowest point of the transmission case. A 17mm allen
head socket is needed. OR two 17mm nuts welded together.

The fill plug is on the side of the transmission case, about half way.
Same 17mm allen key.

Fill it up slowly until oil starts overflowing from the fill hole.
You're done.

Jan
Old July 9th 05, 10:59 PM
One out of many daves

Please make sure the vehicle is first level before filling! ;-)

Old July 9th 05, 11:32 PM
73_Ghia

If you want to check an already full transaxle, make sure the car is level
both front to back _and_ side to side, remove the 17MM plug on the side of
the transmission and insert your finger into the (fill) hole where the plug
was. as soon as your finger clears the threads on the inside of the trans,
dip your finger slightly and remove it. There will be a bit of gear oil on
the tip of your finger if the oil level is at the correct level.

Tracy

Old July 10th 05, 01:30 AM
Glenn

Thanks for all of the tips The old oil is out and the new in and all is well
it was low on oil.
What a great car.
Glenn
link.net...

Old July 11th 05, 03:35 PM

I just have one thing to add. For future reference, before you pull the
drain plugs, make sure you can get the fill plug out FIRST. It should
be obvious as to why.