Did I mention that the Foxes are now 15 YEARS OLD?!?

Old February 25th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_4_]

Default Did I mention that the Foxes are now 15 YEARS OLD?!?

A 1993 GT convertible, and a deer took out my left-side mirror. No problem
whatsoever getting a replacement.

A 1993 LX hatchback with a bad smog pump, and a replacement installed the
next day.

Now, I've been through a mess o' parts over the past 15 years, but I am
becoming more and more impressed with the availability of replacement parts
(or upgrades!) for the Foxes. I know that the day is coming when various
parts will become harder to find, but right now is a great time to be a Fox
Mustang owner.

I also know that Ford built well over 1,000,000 Foxes between 1979 and 1993,
but they are becoming scarcer every year. I was thinking, as I was following
my daughter (driving CFrog) home from the shop (driving TFrog), that it must
now be a rare sight, indeed, to see TWO Fox Mustangs in traffic, one behind
the other.

dwight
www.tfrog.com

Old February 25th 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Deputy Dog[_2_]

"dwight" > wrote in message

that it must
> now be a rare sight, indeed, to see TWO Fox Mustangs in traffic, one
> behind the other.

Even rarer to have a father driving one and daughter driving the other.

Dave

Old February 26th 09, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

Deputy Dog wrote:

> "dwight" > wrote in message
>

> that it must
>> now be a rare sight, indeed, to see TWO Fox Mustangs in traffic, one
>> behind the other.
>>

> Even rarer to have a father driving one and daughter driving the other.
>
> Dave

And the father trying to goad her into a race at the stop light LOL!

--

"APEWS is an organization based in a suburb of Toronto,
Canada and their staff regularly monitors and posts to
Old February 26th 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_4_]

"WindsorFox<[SS]>" > wrote in message
> Deputy Dog wrote:
>>
>> "dwight" > wrote in message
>>

>> that it must
>>> now be a rare sight, indeed, to see TWO Fox Mustangs in traffic, one
>>> behind the other.
>>>

>> Even rarer to have a father driving one and daughter driving the other.
>>
>> Dave

> And the father trying to goad her into a race at the stop light LOL!

Y'know, there was a moment... I actually thought about it. But, hell, she
was driving MY car, after all.

)

Old February 26th 09, 05:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

dwight wrote:

> "WindsorFox<[SS]>" > wrote in message
>> Deputy Dog wrote:
>>>
>>> "dwight" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> that it must
>>>>

>>> Even rarer to have a father driving one and daughter driving the other.
>>>
>>> Dave

>> And the father trying to goad her into a race at the stop light LOL!

> Y'know, there was a moment... I actually thought about it. But, hell,
> she was driving MY car, after all.
>
> )

Uh-huh and you knew who'd be out front with the 5 speed....

Old March 16th 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Backyard Mechanic

YOUR foxes are 15 yo. Even more 'sigh' inducing is that the chassis
appeared in 1979. Do the math.

I see a few driving now and then... usually by someone who was in diapers
or contained in a female body organ when the car was built. Flawed as it
was, the fox platform saved the Mustang and, even if you -rhetorical- dont
like it, Ford gets kudos for that.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old March 16th 09, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-03-16, Backyard Mechanic > wrote:
> YOUR foxes are 15 yo. Even more 'sigh' inducing is that the chassis
> appeared in 1979. Do the math.
>
> I see a few driving now and then... usually by someone who was in diapers
> or contained in a female body organ when the car was built. Flawed as it
> was, the fox platform saved the Mustang and, even if you -rhetorical- dont
> like it, Ford gets kudos for that.

the fox platform would have gone away in 1989 if it weren't for the loud
complaints regarding the MX6 platform being used for the new mustang.

Old March 17th 09, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_4_]

"Brent" > wrote in message
> On 2009-03-16, Backyard Mechanic > wrote:
>> YOUR foxes are 15 yo. Even more 'sigh' inducing is that the chassis
>> appeared in 1979. Do the math.
>>
>> I see a few driving now and then... usually by someone who was in diapers
>> or contained in a female body organ when the car was built. Flawed as it
>> was, the fox platform saved the Mustang and, even if you -rhetorical-
>> dont
>> like it, Ford gets kudos for that.

> the fox platform would have gone away in 1989 if it weren't for the loud
> complaints regarding the MX6 platform being used for the new mustang.

I didn't think I needed to qualify my statement with "the YOUNGEST of the
Fox Mustangs" is now 15 years old.

The '79 was an afterthought, a response by Ford to replace the Mustang II
that was anathema to Mustang enthusiasts. Cobbled from the current Fairmont
(?), the Fox Mustang came out to lukewarm reception. Oddly enough, Ford
tweaked it just enough over its first 10 model years that it became the Bang
for the Buck performance car on the market! Go figure.

Meanwhile, Ford desparately wanted to dump the Mustang, or, failing that,
transform it into something more along the lines of its mid-80s offerings
(read: front wheel drive). The choice left to us was simply the Fox Mustang
or nothing.

Obviously, I chose the Fox Mustang! Then I came back and chose it again and
again and again.

I find it ironic that, having lived through the near-death of the Mustang, I
see the new models being touted as some sort of Ford flagship badge. Too
funny. We forced them to keep building the thing, and now they're all proud
of it.

Ford owes me a dollar.

dwight

Old March 17th 09, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-03-17, dwight > wrote:

> "Brent" > wrote in message
>> On 2009-03-16, Backyard Mechanic > wrote:
>>> YOUR foxes are 15 yo. Even more 'sigh' inducing is that the chassis
>>> appeared in 1979. Do the math.
>>>
>>> I see a few driving now and then... usually by someone who was in diapers
>>> or contained in a female body organ when the car was built. Flawed as it
>>> was, the fox platform saved the Mustang and, even if you -rhetorical-
>>> dont
>>> like it, Ford gets kudos for that.

>> the fox platform would have gone away in 1989 if it weren't for the loud
>> complaints regarding the MX6 platform being used for the new mustang.

> I didn't think I needed to qualify my statement with "the YOUNGEST of the
> Fox Mustangs" is now 15 years old.
>
> The '79 was an afterthought,

No. I just pulled a book off my shelf. I am looking at clay dated
20-may-1976. It's the '79 hard top. On the facing page is a photo of a
mock up dated 13-july-76. It's clearly the Fox Mustang based Capri hatch
back. Book is "Mustang! The complete history of america's pioneer
ponycar" By Gary L. Witzenburg published by Automobile Quarterly in
1979.

> a response by Ford to replace the Mustang II
> that was anathema to Mustang enthusiasts.

It had run its course. It was being replaced because it was done. Ford
doesn't really care about enthusiasts except for their money. The
Mustang II made money, for Ford it was successful.

> Cobbled from the current Fairmont
> (?), the Fox Mustang came out to lukewarm reception.

That's because they didn't have a V8 that year. Still sold
Still sold 370,116 units. I don't think that's "lukewarm"

> Oddly enough, Ford
> tweaked it just enough over its first 10 model years that it became the Bang
> for the Buck performance car on the market! Go figure.

Actually it's when technology caught up to the emissions era that
started bringing performance back in the mid 80s. by '89 the car was
peaking.

> Meanwhile, Ford desparately wanted to dump the Mustang, or, failing that,
> transform it into something more along the lines of its mid-80s offerings
> (read: front wheel drive). The choice left to us was simply the Fox Mustang
> or nothing.

Again, Ford cares about sales (and not getting squished by the
government).

> Obviously, I chose the Fox Mustang! Then I came back and chose it again and
> again and again.
>
> I find it ironic that, having lived through the near-death of the Mustang, I
> see the new models being touted as some sort of Ford flagship badge. Too
> funny. We forced them to keep building the thing, and now they're all proud
> of it.

Ford wasn't going to retire the Mustang name. They were just going to
call what became the probe "Mustang".

Old March 17th 09, 11:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_4_]

"Brent" > wrote in message
> On 2009-03-17, dwight > wrote:

>>> the fox platform would have gone away in 1989 if it weren't for the loud
>>> complaints regarding the MX6 platform being used for the new mustang.

>> I didn't think I needed to qualify my statement with "the YOUNGEST of the
>> Fox Mustangs" is now 15 years old.
>>
>> The '79 was an afterthought,

> No. I just pulled a book off my shelf. I am looking at clay dated
> 20-may-1976. It's the '79 hard top. On the facing page is a photo of a
> mock up dated 13-july-76. It's clearly the Fox Mustang based Capri hatch
> back. Book is "Mustang! The complete history of america's pioneer
> ponycar" By Gary L. Witzenburg published by Automobile Quarterly in
> 1979.

Ford always looked several years down the road, always had new models in the
works. That was never an assurance that a future model would actually see
production, it was just SOP.

>> a response by Ford to replace the Mustang II
>> that was anathema to Mustang enthusiasts.

> It had run its course. It was being replaced because it was done. Ford
> doesn't really care about enthusiasts except for their money. The
> Mustang II made money, for Ford it was successful.

The Mustang II ran its course in five model years? But the Mustang
languished in the Fox era for fifteen! In hindsight, the Fox was the
neglected child. Ford spent as little as possible keeping the Foxes fresh,
spent as little as possible on advertising and marketing, and only kept it
alive because the Mustang community forced them to.

>> Cobbled from the current Fairmont
>> (?), the Fox Mustang came out to lukewarm reception.

> That's because they didn't have a V8 that year. Still sold
> Still sold 370,116 units. I don't think that's "lukewarm"

No, you're right. But chalk a lot of those sales up to the fact that it was
no longer the Mustang II.

>> Oddly enough, Ford
>> tweaked it just enough over its first 10 model years that it became the
>> Bang
>> for the Buck performance car on the market! Go figure.

> Actually it's when technology caught up to the emissions era that
> started bringing performance back in the mid 80s. by '89 the car was
> peaking.

And, at about the time that the performance folks were jumping on the
Mustang, Ford began to take it seriously again. Hence, the SN95, instead of
again threatening to pull the plug.

>> Meanwhile, Ford desparately wanted to dump the Mustang, or, failing that,
>> transform it into something more along the lines of its mid-80s offerings
>> (read: front wheel drive). The choice left to us was simply the Fox
>> Mustang
>> or nothing.

> Again, Ford cares about sales (and not getting squished by the
> government).
>
>> Obviously, I chose the Fox Mustang! Then I came back and chose it again
>> and
>> again and again.
>>
>> I find it ironic that, having lived through the near-death of the
>> Mustang, I
>> see the new models being touted as some sort of Ford flagship badge. Too
>> funny. We forced them to keep building the thing, and now they're all
>> proud
>> of it.

> Ford wasn't going to retire the Mustang name. They were just going to
> call what became the probe "Mustang".

That's the same thing, isn't it?

dwight