help me - CV dying or...?

Old December 19th 04, 02:03 AM
Nate Nagel

Default help me - CV dying or...?

Hi all,

got a bit of a problem. Was heading over to my friend's garage today to
work on my old cars when I started hearing an occasional click from the
trusty 944. Well I threw it up on the lift and couldnt find anything in
the front end (I initially suspected a ball joint, which would have been
a Big Deal, but the ball joints are rock solid) but the wheel bearings
were real loose so I tightened them up and also took the calipers off
and cleaned and lubed everything in case it was a brake binding noise.
Took a spin around the block, no noise, happy. Left to go home, about
halfway home the noise comes back with a vengeance. It sounds exactly
like a bad CV joint. So when I got home I put it in neutral and blocked
the front wheel, crawled under the back and started wiggling stuff.
EVERYTHING is sloppy, every joint and the tranny output flanges too. I
suspect it is in the right rear but won't be able to confirm until I can
get the car up in the air again.

Question is - could it be something in the transaxle that sounds like a
CV? or is the CV joint the only thing that could fail and make that
distinctive click of death? I can throw a right halfshaft in it as soon
as I can get one no problem but if it is the tranny I need to start
working on plan B right away...

thanks,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 19th 04, 04:11 AM
Anthony

Nate Nagel > wrote in news:X9adnX_Oov-bTlncRVn-
:

> Hi all,
>
> got a bit of a problem. Was heading over to my friend's garage today

> work on my old cars when I started hearing an occasional click from the
> trusty 944. Well I threw it up on the lift and couldnt find anything

in
> the front end (I initially suspected a ball joint, which would have

been
> a Big Deal, but the ball joints are rock solid) but the wheel bearings
> were real loose so I tightened them up and also took the calipers off
> and cleaned and lubed everything in case it was a brake binding noise.
> Took a spin around the block, no noise, happy. Left to go home, about
> halfway home the noise comes back with a vengeance. It sounds exactly
> like a bad CV joint. So when I got home I put it in neutral and

blocked
> the front wheel, crawled under the back and started wiggling stuff.
> EVERYTHING is sloppy, every joint and the tranny output flanges too. I
> suspect it is in the right rear but won't be able to confirm until I

can
> get the car up in the air again.
>
> Question is - could it be something in the transaxle that sounds like a
> CV? or is the CV joint the only thing that could fail and make that
> distinctive click of death? I can throw a right halfshaft in it as

soon
> as I can get one no problem but if it is the tranny I need to start
> working on plan B right away...
>
> thanks,
>
> nate

If all the joints have play...you've found the problem...toss a half-
shaft in it and be done...may as well change both while you are in
there....save you the same trouble in a month.
There seems to always be some slop in the spider gears of a rear
gear...so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Old December 19th 04, 03:47 PM
Nate Nagel

Anthony wrote:

> Nate Nagel > wrote in news:X9adnX_Oov-bTlncRVn-
> :
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>got a bit of a problem. Was heading over to my friend's garage today

>>work on my old cars when I started hearing an occasional click from the
>>trusty 944. Well I threw it up on the lift and couldnt find anything

> in
>
>>the front end (I initially suspected a ball joint, which would have

> been
>
>>a Big Deal, but the ball joints are rock solid) but the wheel bearings
>>were real loose so I tightened them up and also took the calipers off
>>and cleaned and lubed everything in case it was a brake binding noise.
>>Took a spin around the block, no noise, happy. Left to go home, about
>>halfway home the noise comes back with a vengeance. It sounds exactly
>>like a bad CV joint. So when I got home I put it in neutral and

> blocked
>
>>the front wheel, crawled under the back and started wiggling stuff.
>>EVERYTHING is sloppy, every joint and the tranny output flanges too. I
>>suspect it is in the right rear but won't be able to confirm until I

> can
>
>>get the car up in the air again.
>>
>>Question is - could it be something in the transaxle that sounds like a
>>CV? or is the CV joint the only thing that could fail and make that
>>distinctive click of death? I can throw a right halfshaft in it as

> soon
>
>>as I can get one no problem but if it is the tranny I need to start
>>working on plan B right away...
>>
>>thanks,
>>
>>nate
>>

> If all the joints have play...you've found the problem...toss a half-
> shaft in it and be done...may as well change both while you are in
> there....save you the same trouble in a month.
> There seems to always be some slop in the spider gears of a rear
> gear...so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

Update: there's nobody open on Sunday that stocks halfshafts for a 944.
So I am waiting for my friend to call me and see if he can pick me up
at the Porsche shop and I'm just going to drop it off and let them deal
with it.

I really hate it when I can't fix stuff myself :/

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

both dying now, Mary and Bert excused the brave rains among younger frame [email protected] General 0 January 17th 05 02:35 PM
just dying around a bowl about the camp is too rude for Marion to creep it [email protected] General 0 January 17th 05 12:07 PM
DANA 35 dying Ben Jeep 4 January 4th 05 04:08 AM
1984 Laser: Dying at Normal Speeds Jonathan Grobe Chrysler 12 November 19th 04 08:58 AM