Just installed locker

Old May 7th 05, 08:54 PM
Eric

Default Just installed locker

A friend of mine just sent me his "slightly used" Powertrax locker for my
Dana 35 (yes, Bill, I'll send you links of broken axles ;-)!) I was going
to call the shop today to see how much it would cost to install it, and
decided to just do it myself instead. Well, it took FOREVER. Really
because the instructions stunk (didn't seem like they were for the right
locker -- downloaded from the website). And there were a few... catches.

For example, I couldn't use my thrust washers. I had all but given up on
the install (couldn't get both couplers in there -- one at a time; both at
the same time, with side gears, without, etc.) when I called up my friend
and he said he didn't use his thrust washers. Not intentionally -- he just
forgot to use them. So I took the thrust washers off of the side gears, and
voila, everything fit. And when I say "fit", I mean it was very difficult
just to get the two couplers in. Once installed, everything lined up the
way it should, with the proper clearances.

Will there be problems with not using the thrust washers? Do I need to get
new, but wafer-thin ones? My stock ones were thin to begin with, but were
still too thick to use.

Eric
99 TJ SE

Old May 7th 05, 10:52 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I think I already have your video at:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews/powertrax/02.mpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 8th 05, 12:16 AM
Nick

No, you'll be fine without the thrus washers... Their not ment to be used
with the powertrax. For the first month, lay off the gas on tight turns...
Check your gears and change your fluid after that. twisty roads are gonna
throw you around a bit, and you'll notice your jeep shifting around a bit
when you let off and get on the gas, but you'll love the locker.
Nick
--
http://members.cox.net/nnote/

Old May 8th 05, 03:46 AM
Eric

I noticed the tire squeal around corners already... I have noticed the
shifting as well (took a quick trip to the parts store after installing).

I'll be wheeling it tomorrow -- nothing too hardcore, but I can't wait to
test it out.

As for fluids, any idea what to use?? I went with 85w-140 (that's good for
limited slips). I believe it was Valvoline. I'd have to go check to be
sure... But I've heard conflicting stories on what to use.

Eric
99 TJ SE

Old May 8th 05, 03:48 AM
Eric

I watched it a few times and didn't see a break.....

Although, I have to say, I can see the problems with c-clips now. Always
heard people bashing them, but had never seem the guts of my diff (other
than fluid changes). Now I know why....

Eric

Old May 10th 05, 07:43 AM
Steve

Your friend has ABS. You don't. You have the wrong locker. The side gear
sockets in your carrier are a bit too wide (you should have noticed some
rotational play in the locker) and the interior of your carrier is a bit
too narrow (hence no room for the required thrust washers). It fits,
sort of, but it will be noisy and you will wear your carrier and locker
prematurely. On the bright side, it will eventually provide the excuse
you need to upgrade to an 8.8 or a 44.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old May 10th 05, 08:10 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

And there seems to be a difference in carriers between '93 and '93:
http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0101.exe Along with your ABS
warning: http://www.billhughes.com/dana35locker.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old May 11th 05, 03:21 AM
Eric

According to Powertrax's website, we should be using the same locker (P/N
2311S2).

ZJ, Rear Axle, 1993-2000 (his is a 93 or 94, can't recall), Dana 35 Uses
LockRight 2311 S2.
TJ, Rear Axle, 1994-2000 (my TJ's a 99), Dana 35, Uses LockRight 2311 S2.

http://www.powertrax.com/jeep1lr.pdf

Mind you, I've seen some sites (such as that linked by Bill) that specify a
difference. I wonder why a distributer would be providing something the
manufacturer doesn't...

Eric

Old May 11th 05, 03:44 AM
Eric

After further research it appears that the Dana 35s pre 93/94 with ABS had a
different carrier than those without ABS. However, all D35s AFTER 94 have
the same size carrier, regardless of whether you have ABS or not (i.e. they
all have the ABS-sized carrier).

At least that's what the almighty google is telling me. ;-)

Eric

>>> 99 TJ SE

Old May 12th 05, 03:18 AM
Eric

I read that -- so how do I know if I have the right part? You go to 10
websites and half will say one thing, the other half something else. Who is
right??

Eric