Speedometer/Transmission Related(?) Problem

Old May 2nd 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Speedometer/Transmission Related(?) Problem

I have a 1994 Buick Century wagon w/6cyl engine. The car has 47,000 on
it and up until last week ran perfectly. Then I noticed that the speedo
was acting erratically, jumping back & forth and then completely
stopping. Well, now the transmission is acting up. It shifts very hard
into 2nd, particularly when cold. After a long run on the hiway, its
fine. After stopping at a light, then accelerating, it feels like its
starting in 2nd gear. Can the fact that the speedometer cable failed
have anything to do with this? Thanks for any input! The Doctor

Old May 2nd 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"The Doctor" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a 1994 Buick Century wagon w/6cyl engine. The car has 47,000 on
> it and up until last week ran perfectly. Then I noticed that the speedo
> was acting erratically, jumping back & forth and then completely
> stopping. Well, now the transmission is acting up. It shifts very hard
> into 2nd, particularly when cold. After a long run on the hiway, its
> fine. After stopping at a light, then accelerating, it feels like its
> starting in 2nd gear. Can the fact that the speedometer cable failed
> have anything to do with this? Thanks for any input! The Doctor

Not real familiar with that model, but many do use the same sensor for the
speedometer that is also used for the tranmission control module. That VSS
(vehicle speed sensor) is probably screwed into the back of the speedometer
or on the transmission tail housing. If it is on the transmission then the
sensor is mostlikely bad. If it is on the back of the speedometer, the cable
from the trnsmission that drives it might be the problem

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old May 2nd 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Sensor is in trans, if the pcm sees no or poor signal it defaults to a 2 or
3rd gear limp mode.
oups.com...

Old May 3rd 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks for the info! Can you purchase the sensor from Autozone or would
this be a GM only part? Thanks!~The Doctor

Old May 3rd 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Probably a GM part, but call Autozone first.......you might get lucky.

Old May 3rd 06, 08:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

The Doctor wrote:
> I have a 1994 Buick Century wagon w/6cyl engine. The car has 47,000 on
> it and up until last week ran perfectly. Then I noticed that the speedo
> was acting erratically, jumping back & forth and then completely
> stopping. Well, now the transmission is acting up. It shifts very hard
> into 2nd, particularly when cold. After a long run on the hiway, its
> fine. After stopping at a light, then accelerating, it feels like its
> starting in 2nd gear.

Can the fact that the speedometer cable failed
> have anything to do with this?

Thanks for any input! The Doctor

==========
==========

~~RANDOM THOUGHTS~~

There should not be a speedo cable on that car.
The speedo is electronic.
When it fails, you have 3rd gear starts.
The symptoms are exactly those of a bad VSS.
A VSS is a Vehical Speed Sensor.
It's on the drivers side, top, end of the tranny.
It's hard as hell to change without getting burn't sometimes.
Sometimes, it's easy to do without getting burn't.
Sometimes, changing it, fixes all those same symptoms.
Scanning the computer would verify a bad VSS.
AutoZonedOut stores can't do it.
I can.
The VSS is a magnetic driven pickup sensor.
The VSS pulses a signal to the computer.
The VSS "triggers" off of a cogged gear inside the tranny.
Sometimes that ring will get loose.
Sometimes this will cause the VSS to give a bad reading.
Sometimes this ring must be changed to get a VSS reading.
Not always.
Not alot.
Just sometimes.
Though, honestly, rarely so.
Your transmission is a 4T60E
The 4 stands for 4 gears forward.
The "T" stands for transverse. (sideways)
The 60 is the series.
The "E" is for electronic.
I work on trannies.
Shep does not.
Shep thinks you have a RWD.
RWD stands for rear wheel drive.
FWD stands for front wheel drive.
You have a front wheel drive.
Now Shep knows that too.

~~End of Random Thoughts~~

suggestions...........
be sure the electricle connector is good and that the wires at the
connector are'nt bare and maybe shorting out. It's very common
on older vehicals. (heat dries, cracks the insulation)
You may be able to fix the problem with some elect. tape.

~:~
Marsh Monster
~:~

Old May 3rd 06, 08:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Kevin wrote:

> Not real familiar with that model, but many do use the same sensor for the
> speedometer that is also used for the tranmission control module. That VSS
> (vehicle speed sensor) is probably screwed into the back of the speedometer
> or on the transmission tail housing. If it is on the transmission then the
> sensor is mostlikely bad. If it is on the back of the speedometer, the cable
> from the trnsmission that drives it might be the problem
>

> --
> Kevin Mouton
> Automotive Technology Instructor

============
============

There is NO tail housing on that transmission.

It is EXTREMELY not probable that ANY vss is screwed into the
back of ANY speedometer.

where do you teach, I mean, what State?

I don't want to be hiring anyone you've got so confused that I have
to spend an extra year training to forget what you've taught them.

~:~
Marsh Monster
~sips his shroomtea......some do.....some teach~

Old May 3rd 06, 11:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Marsh Monster" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Kevin wrote:
> >
> > Not real familiar with that model, but many do use the same sensor for

the
> > speedometer that is also used for the tranmission control module. That

VSS
> > (vehicle speed sensor) is probably screwed into the back of the

speedometer
> > or on the transmission tail housing. If it is on the transmission then

the
> > sensor is mostlikely bad. If it is on the back of the speedometer, the

cable
> > from the trnsmission that drives it might be the problem
> >

> > --
> > Kevin Mouton
> > Automotive Technology Instructor
> >

> ============
> ============
>
> There is NO tail housing on that transmission.

I didn't say there was. Never claimed to be familiar with the vehicle in
question.

> It is EXTREMELY not probable that ANY vss is screwed into the
> back of ANY speedometer.
>

> where do you teach, I mean, what State?
>
> I don't want to be hiring anyone you've got so confused that I have
> to spend an extra year training to forget what you've taught them.
>

> ~:~
> Marsh Monster
> ~sips his shroomtea......some do.....some teach~

I don't know everything, no one does and neither do you. I'm still learning,
you are just being belligerent.. Many GM vehicles in the past did have the
VSS on the back of the Speedometer. And many Fords did have it on the
transmission. The car in question could even have it in the differential
housing or use the wheel speed sensors. Sorry I didn't take the time to list
all the possibilities.

I've probably forgotten half of all I ever learned which is probably twice
as much as you'll ever know.

There is a waiting list of repair shops wanting to hire more of my graduates
so you want have to worry about getting any, and I teach in Louisiana.

Nuff said.

Keep smiling, I am.

Old May 4th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Marsh you are the best, after being an Olds SM for 12 years from 86 to 96 I
finally realized that, that was great!
ups.com...

Old May 6th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

..
..
INLINE
..
..
=======
=======
Kevin wrote:
> "Marsh Monster" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Kevin wrote:
> > >
> > > Not real familiar with that model, but many do use the same sensor for

> the
> > > speedometer that is also used for the tranmission control module. That

> VSS
> > > (vehicle speed sensor) is probably screwed into the back of the

> speedometer
> > > or on the transmission tail housing. If it is on the transmission then

> the
> > > sensor is mostlikely bad. If it is on the back of the speedometer, the

> cable
> > > from the trnsmission that drives it might be the problem
> > >

> > > --
> > > Kevin Mouton
> > > Automotive Technology Instructor
> > >

> > ============
> > ============
> >
> > There is NO tail housing on that transmission.

> I didn't say there was. Never claimed to be familiar with the vehicle in
> question.

YES!!!! YOU...did say there was.
If you can post in open forum that it's "probably" "on the transmission
tail housing".......then you damn well DID say the unit had one!!

> > It is EXTREMELY not probable that ANY vss is screwed into the
> > back of ANY speedometer.
> >

> > where do you teach, I mean, what State?
> >
> > I don't want to be hiring anyone you've got so confused that I have
> > to spend an extra year training to forget what you've taught them.
> >

> > ~:~
> > Marsh Monster
> > ~sips his shroomtea......some do.....some teach~
> >

> I don't know everything, no one does and neither do you. I'm still learning,
> you are just being belligerent..

I don't know everything either. And I'm NOT engaging in being
belligerent!!!!
I AM however engaged in correcting BAD INFORMATION being given by
someone that SHOULD know better than to go posting erroneous info
in a usenet forum that could lead a DIY'r to go chasing his head after
his
arse because of YOUR incorrect info!!!!!
Now....call me belligerent if you want, but don't negate the fact
that you're
the one that posted the mis-information on the topic.

Many GM vehicles in the past did have the
> VSS on the back of the Speedometer. And many Fords did have it on the
> transmission. The car in question could even have it in the differential
> housing or use the wheel speed sensors. Sorry I didn't take the time to list
> all the possibilities.

Well......looks like you finally did what you should have done in the
first place
TEACHER...........you researched the unit enough to learn that the unit
you're
giving advise on is a FWD vehical. Maybe you should have done that
BEFORE
you made your first post. OR.....is that how you're teaching your
students
also.......by guessing?
Well......anywhoo...at least NOW you realize it doesn't have a
tailhousing.
lmao

> I've probably forgotten half of all I ever learned which is probably twice
> as much as you'll ever know.

Maybe you should learn how to research what your spewing forth on!!!!!!
I mean.....you are teaching others......it would be good for you to
understand
that the first step to diagnostics is researching the thing you're
fixing to
diagnose!!!!!!! Then.....you could start all them wanna be techs out
on the
right track and they wouldn't turn out like you.....a guess'r.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And.....as far as to what I know.......well.....it's damn sure obvious
that I
know more than you on this one stud. I didn't have to research, I
knew!!!

> There is a waiting list of repair shops wanting to hire more of my graduates
> so you want have to worry about getting any, and I teach in Louisiana.

Yeah......well......everyone needs trainees. lmao
Matter of fact, I've hired a few tech school grads in my time,
had a few that were on the apprentice program, where they spent
part of their class time at MY shop and recieved course credit for it.

The first thing you have to tell them is.......
FORGET everything they taught you.....cuz you need to know how to
do it right.!!

fact, not fiction!!!

> Nuff said.

yep...nuff fer sure.

> Keep smiling, I am.

smiling......hell......rotflmfao

> --
> Kevin Mouton
> Automotive Technology Instructor
> "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
> Red Green

~:~
MarshMonster
~:~