Clutch slipping - looking for reputable shop in Richmond, VA

Old April 15th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.honda

Default Clutch slipping - looking for reputable shop in Richmond, VA

My '97 Civic Ex is experiencing clutch slippage so I'm looking for a
reputable shop to do the repair work.

Has anyone had experience with "Wallace Automotive" in Richmond, VA?

I've been told that some "bearings" and the "clutch plate" needs replacing.
I've taken it to a couple of places and they've told me that it will take a
day or two (8-10 hrs) for about a $1,000.

Is this reasonable?

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
- Pat

Old April 15th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.honda

Pat Dreiding wrote:

> My '97 Civic Ex is experiencing clutch slippage so I'm looking for a
> reputable shop to do the repair work.
>
> Has anyone had experience with "Wallace Automotive" in Richmond, VA?
>
> I've been told that some "bearings" and the "clutch plate" needs replacing.
> I've taken it to a couple of places and they've told me that it will take a
> day or two (8-10 hrs) for about a $1,000.
>
> Is this reasonable?
>
> Suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> - Pat

Why not tell us the history, the mileage, and what's been tried? (like
the 5 W's)

Maybe you don't need a shop at all?

'Curly'
Old April 15th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.honda

"Pat Dreiding" > wrote in news7Y%f.384
$V73.172@trnddc06:

> The car has 123K miles. When doing a semi-hard acceleration, the

engines
> RPMs increase, but the car doesn't goes faster. After a few

secounds it
> slowly start accelerating. You can "feel" the clutch slip.
>
> Are you familiar with any shops in Richmond?
>
> Thanks,
> - Pat
>

> "'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote in message
>> Pat Dreiding wrote:
>> >
>> > My '97 Civic Ex is experiencing clutch slippage so I'm looking

for a
>> > reputable shop to do the repair work.
>> >
>> > Has anyone had experience with "Wallace Automotive" in Richmond,

VA?

>> > I've been told that some "bearings" and the "clutch plate" needs

> replacing.
>> > I've taken it to a couple of places and they've told me that it

will
> take a
>> > day or two (8-10 hrs) for about a $1,000.
>> >
>> > Is this reasonable?
>> >
>> > Suggestions appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > - Pat

>> Why not tell us the history, the mileage, and what's been tried?

(like
>> the 5 W's)
>>
>> Maybe you don't need a shop at all?
>>
>> 'Curly'

Are you revving it too hard before the clutch has fully engaged? In
my experience OEM Honda clutches slip badly and aren't for racing.
When they heat up they'll slip even more. I once took my Civic on a 3
hour drive to Virginia Beach beatin the **** out of it the whole way,
and when I finally got there my car just stopped going even though I
was stepping on the gas because the clutch was slipping 100%. Had to
roll it off the interstate and then wait about 10 minutes for the
clutch disc to cool off before I could move again. I could smell it
burning (clutch material smells kinda like burning hair, but worse).
Got it switched to a performance clutch and flywheel and I can do
some serious clutch popping and hard launches with no problems.

If you go for a hard launch (or any kind of launch) and you feel the
clutch slipping let off of it right away (don't rev it harder).
Chances are it will get progressively worse. Take it easy on your
clutch for a while.
Old April 15th 06, 09:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.honda

"Crystal" > wrote in message
7.131...

> Are you revving it too hard before the clutch has fully engaged? In
> my experience OEM Honda clutches slip badly and aren't for racing.
> When they heat up they'll slip even more. I once took my Civic on a 3
> hour drive to Virginia Beach beatin the **** out of it the whole way,
> and when I finally got there my car just stopped going even though I
> was stepping on the gas because the clutch was slipping 100%. Had to
> roll it off the interstate and then wait about 10 minutes for the
> clutch disc to cool off before I could move again. I could smell it
> burning (clutch material smells kinda like burning hair, but worse).
> Got it switched to a performance clutch and flywheel and I can do
> some serious clutch popping and hard launches with no problems.

In years gone by 'woman owned and driven' meant that you were looking at a
car that wasn't abused. That phrase hasn't meant that for quite awhile.
{;^)

Old April 15th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.honda

"Brian Smith" > wrote in

> "Crystal" > wrote in message
> 7.131...
>>
>> Are you revving it too hard before the clutch has fully engaged?

In
>> my experience OEM Honda clutches slip badly and aren't for racing.
>> When they heat up they'll slip even more. I once took my Civic on

a 3
>> hour drive to Virginia Beach beatin the **** out of it the whole

way,
>> and when I finally got there my car just stopped going even though

>> was stepping on the gas because the clutch was slipping 100%. Had

>> roll it off the interstate and then wait about 10 minutes for the
>> clutch disc to cool off before I could move again. I could smell

it
>> burning (clutch material smells kinda like burning hair, but

worse).
>> Got it switched to a performance clutch and flywheel and I can do
>> some serious clutch popping and hard launches with no problems.

> In years gone by 'woman owned and driven' meant that you were

looking
> at a car that wasn't abused. That phrase hasn't meant that for

quite
> awhile. {;^)

Driving slow makes me nervous unless I have a good stereo system to
mellow me out.
Old April 15th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.honda

"Pat Dreiding" > wrote in message
> My '97 Civic Ex is experiencing clutch slippage so I'm looking for a
> reputable shop to do the repair work.
>
> Has anyone had experience with "Wallace Automotive" in Richmond, VA?
>
> I've been told that some "bearings" and the "clutch plate" needs
> replacing.
> I've taken it to a couple of places and they've told me that it will take
> day or two (8-10 hrs) for about a $1,000.
>
> Is this reasonable?
>
> Suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> - Pat

That price sounds pretty high. I recommend you shop around some more - it
will probably save you a few hundred dollars. There aren't many corners to
cut that would lower the price, but some independent shops charge what they
figure they can do it for rather than the "book" rate.

A clutch job involves removing the transmission and replacing the clutch
disk, the pressure plate that clamps the disk to the flywheel when the
clutch pedal isn't depressed, the throwout bearing that lets the pressure
plate turn while the fork (operated by the pedal) doesn't turn, and the
pilot bearing in the flywheel that supports the end of the gearbox input
shaft. The flywheel surface is lathed to make it flat again.

We did the clutch in my son's Integra a couple months ago. The aftermarket
parts were about $250 and the job was an all day affair for us amateurs,
with the usual struggle to get the gearbox in place afterward. (I strained a
muscle in my jaw from clenching my face - it hurt for three days!)

Mike

Old April 15th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.honda

I appreciate everyone's inputs. The car is a 97' Civic EX with 123K miles.

The questions I need answered a

1. Does anyone has a suggestion for reputable repair shop in Richmond, VA?

2. Has anyone had experience with "Wallace Automotive" in Richmond, VA?

3. Is $1,000 a reasonable charge for Clutch plate and Bearing replacement?

Thanks again,

Old April 15th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.honda

"Pat Dreiding" > wrote in

> I appreciate everyone's inputs. The car is a 97' Civic EX with 123K
> miles.
>
> The questions I need answered a
>
> 1. Does anyone has a suggestion for reputable repair shop in Richmond,
> VA?
>
> 2. Has anyone had experience with "Wallace Automotive" in Richmond,
> VA?
>
> 3. Is $1,000 a reasonable charge for Clutch plate and Bearing
> replacement?
>
> Thanks again,
> - Pat
>

> "'Curly Q. Links'" > wrote in message
>> Pat Dreiding wrote:
>> >
>> > My '97 Civic Ex is experiencing clutch slippage so I'm looking for
>> > a reputable shop to do the repair work.
>> >
>> > Has anyone had experience with "Wallace Automotive" in Richmond,
>> > VA?
>> >
>> > I've been told that some "bearings" and the "clutch plate" needs

> replacing.
>> > I've taken it to a couple of places and they've told me that it
>> > will

> take a
>> > day or two (8-10 hrs) for about a $1,000.
>> >
>> > Is this reasonable?
>> >
>> > Suggestions appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > - Pat

>> Why not tell us the history, the mileage, and what's been tried?
>> (like the 5 W's)
>>
>> Maybe you don't need a shop at all?
>>
>> 'Curly'

$1000 is a bit much. I got a brand new lightweight flywheel, performance
clutch disc, plate, plus bearings for about 400, and then installed a
little less than 400. If he's getting you an OEM clutch plate and
bearing, that's a lot of excess he's charging for labor. Albeit he's
probably going on his pre-calculated "hours" to do the job, charging you
$60 or more per hour. You'd have better luck driving to Barboursville
and visiting High Speed Auto. Ask for Rick. It's a little less than 2
hours from Richmond. If you want directions let me know.
Old April 16th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.honda

"Pat Dreiding" > wrote in

> I appreciate everyone's inputs. The car is a 97' Civic EX with 123K
> miles.
>
> The questions I need answered a
>
> 1. Does anyone has a suggestion for reputable repair shop in Richmond,
> VA?
>
> 2. Has anyone had experience with "Wallace Automotive" in Richmond,
> VA?
>
> 3. Is $1,000 a reasonable charge for Clutch plate and Bearing
> replacement?

The only thing I can comment on is the cost. One thousand bucks is way, WAY
too much.

Do you have a breakdown of the quote? If so, could you post it here, line
by line?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old April 16th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,alt.honda

"Crystal" > wrote in message
. 97.131...

> Driving slow makes me nervous unless I have a good stereo system to
> mellow me out.

To make the roads safer, perhaps you shouldn't be placed in a position of
having care and control of a vehicle then. {;^)