69 help find seats

Old December 13th 04, 07:09 PM

Default 69 help find seats

Id like to find some mach 1 buckets or a high back seats with head
rests that will bolt right into my 69 coupe. I keep an eye on ebay and
have checked stangnet. Does anyone make reproductions of classic seats?
anyone have any sites I can check?

Thanks,

Old December 13th 04, 10:30 PM
Spike

Aside from aftermarkets like Reccaro, Flofit, Scat, pretty much, as I
understand it, any Mustang seat from a later model (ie install 2001
Mustang GT seats in 65 FB) will work if you use the brackets from the
old seats. That's where I am leaning to get something a lot more
comfortable than the originals. And later model seats are generally
available on ebay at, for the most part, reasonable prices, including
power adjust (which is what I want for the driver's seat). On Tom
Schmidt's Mustang (google it) page there is a listing of such
projects, with reference to someone who has done it and posted the how
to on a web site.

On 13 Dec 2004 10:09:56 -0800, wrote:

>Id like to find some mach 1 buckets or a high back seats with head
>rests that will bolt right into my 69 coupe. I keep an eye on ebay and
>have checked stangnet. Does anyone make reproductions of classic seats?
>anyone have any sites I can check?
>
>Thanks,

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Old December 17th 04, 11:09 PM
Spike

The problem with those listed sites, which are quite good, is that
they have seat reupholster kits, and some seat parts for repairs, but
I have yet to see some actual complete seats which are not aftermarket
like Recarro, Flofit, Scat, etc.

There is an ad in the back of Mustang Monthly for an outfit that buys
bare Flofit seats and does the upholstery themselves for about $1500.
Had a nice article on their seats in the magazine's seat swap
pictorial. They upholster them to look like the older styling (ie
seams in correct directions, etc).

Just about any year seat will bolt in if you use your original
brackets. For example use 2001 GT seats in a 65 works. So do the seats
from 1985, and 1990. Check the wrecking yards for late model Mustangs.
Just be careful. You do NOT want a seat someone died in. The smell
never quite goes away. Google to Tom Schmidt's Mustang Page and look
in the left hand column for How To. Included is a link to a seat swap
it might pay you to check out.

Another place to check is Hemmings magazine or online, for ads from
outfits which deal strictly in Mustangs/Mustang parts. You'll likely
pay premium prices though. (Go to www.hemmings.com and do a search for
your year/make/model, and look at the ads which are interspersed
between the ads for cars.)

A local owner has a very nice set of seats in his 65 FB from a late
model Toyota Celica.

As for ebay... be careful there. The seats you get may not be as great
as they appear in a picture(s). You often can't tell if the seat back
has been weakened by some 600 pounder, etc.

Re-upholstery kits are now available up through about early 70s, so,
if the frame is good, and the upholstery bad or color wrong, you can
redo that portion. The more recent the seat, the more expensive to
redo.

Finally, you might check with local/regional Mustang clubs. Someone
may have swapped out their seats for something they liked better, and
may be looking for a buyer for the old seats.