Cam belt break down on A4 - DON'T BUY AUDI ANYMORE !!!

Old July 20th 04, 04:06 AM
John Smith

Default Cam belt break down on A4 - DON'T BUY AUDI ANYMORE !!!

Audi Germany says the cam belt needs replacing at 120,000 KM. Well, our A4
belt broke down at 113,000 and caused for thousands of dollars damage. Audi
New Zealand (who serviced teh car throughout its lifetime) is now saying
that 100,000 KM is considered HIGH MILEAGE for an Audi and doesn't want to
share the cost....

Old July 20th 04, 08:32 AM
Ronny

"John Smith" > wrote in message
> Audi Germany says the cam belt needs replacing at 120,000 KM. Well, our A4
> belt broke down at 113,000 and caused for thousands of dollars damage.

Audi
> New Zealand (who serviced teh car throughout its lifetime) is now saying
> that 100,000 KM is considered HIGH MILEAGE for an Audi and doesn't want to
> share the cost....

If you had the car serviced at an Audi dealer and its a full service history
then they have no come back, unless they advised you change the belt at last
service and you said no.

What model Audi is it, I suspect its an 1.8T as there renown for snapping
cam belts...?

60k miles is the Audiworld users recommended change time, and 80k if you
have a V6 model.

You will have bent a few valves, just take it to a independant garage, if
its a 1.8 then your looking at a days labour and the price of a new set of
valves. If its a V6 then its quite a bit more expensive.

Ronny

Old July 20th 04, 12:03 PM
R@L

"John Smith" > wrote in message
> Audi Germany says the cam belt needs replacing at 120,000 KM. Well, our A4
> belt broke down at 113,000 and caused for thousands of dollars damage.

Audi
> New Zealand (who serviced teh car throughout its lifetime) is now saying
> that 100,000 KM is considered HIGH MILEAGE for an Audi and doesn't want to
> share the cost....

It's not very brave to poste this message under a false name.
Reader nor Audi can verify whether the story is true or not.

Ronald

Old July 20th 04, 01:01 PM
Robert Smits

Aha! Didn't even see that myself.... Thought the newsreader would use the
same email details as the email program. It's changed now!
My name is Robert Smits, the Audi is my wife's: Helen Hendren. And don't you
worry: they DO know who we are!
Sorry for the inconvenience!

. ..

Old July 20th 04, 08:51 PM
Pete

"John Smith" wrote
> replacing at 120,000 KM. Well, our A4
> belt broke down at 113,000 and caused for thousands of dollars damage.

Audi
> New Zealand (who serviced teh car throughout its lifetime) is now

saying
> that 100,000 KM is considered HIGH MILEAGE for an Audi and doesn't

want to
> share the cost....

Keep fighting with them. They should at least pay for part of the
repairs. Premature timing belt/tensioner failures on the 1.8T engine is
a well known issue, at least in the US, where Audi recommends 105K mile
or even 120K mile change intervals for these parts, but most of us who
are "in the know", replace them every 60K miles or every 4 years,
whichever comes first. If you search the A4 B5 forum on AudiWorld.com
you'll find a ton of cases like yours.

Good luck with everything. Be sure to also replace the water pump while
you're getting the other stuff replaced.

Cheers,

Pete

Old July 21st 04, 11:02 PM
Robert Smits

Great information. I will check these things out. We will have a meeting
with Audi NZ today.
Thanks all for your help up to now!
Robert