what could it be?

Old June 23rd 05, 04:32 AM
Father of the Year

I forgot to mention that I am not here on this board to help people fix
their cars, I am here to get help. My expertise is in other areas. Unlike
you Dave....I found this one quite funny after
you said, Did you help him with his question?
Nope! So anyway, how's it feel not being able to raise the kids because
your a moron? Good thing you are paying your way though! I looked at some
of you advice:
Can anyone shed some light on the universal coolant?
Thanks, Ted

Yes, It is called Water. You mix it with Prestone antifreeze! They must have
been out of it at the time.

Yep you are a genius and I am sure the kids you had with your wife are
really yours.

"David" > wrote in message

> "Father of the Year" > wrote in
> message ...
> > That's right, if you AIN"T got what it takes to be helpful, just

criticize
> > and put people down.
> > Blaming the tech does not fix the problem nor does it answer his

question.
> > Might I suggest to you Alex a few new, more appropriate newsgroup for

you

Old June 23rd 05, 05:13 AM
Joe

One thing's for sure. You won't get it fixed by listening to what people
say. Talk is cheap.

First step is to buy a volt ohm meter. You might want to buy a battery
charger too, unless you have an easy way to get these batteries replaced
free. Whatever's most convenient for you. Then let's talk about it.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 23rd 05, 06:05 AM
KWS

It might help if you tell us a few things about your situation:

How long did you have the car prior to this episode of changing batteries?

When you first had the problem, why did you change the battery? Were you
told by someone that it was either "dead" or it "wouldn't hold a charge". If
so, can you describe what type of testing resulted in this diagnosis?

When the battery was changed as a result of the first question; was it
replaced with a brand new battery? I will refer to this replacement battery
as the "first" battery.

When the battery was changed the "second" time, did you have the person who
sold you the "first" battery confirm it had failed? What did they tell you
about the battery?

Same questions regarding the "third" battery.

How old is the Chrysler; how many miles does it have on it?

Maybe with a little more information, someone will be able to help you.

Regards,

Ken

Old June 23rd 05, 03:40 PM
David

"Father of the Year" > wrote in
message ...
>I forgot to mention that I am not here on this board to help people fix
> their cars, I am here to get help. My expertise is in other areas.
> Unlike
> you Dave....I found this one quite funny after
> you said, Did you help him with his question?
> Nope! So anyway, how's it feel not being able to raise the kids because
> your a moron? Good thing you are paying your way though! I looked at
> some
> of you advice:
> Can anyone shed some light on the universal coolant?
> Thanks, Ted
>
> Yes, It is called Water. You mix it with Prestone antifreeze! They must
> have
> been out of it at the time.
>
> Yep you are a genius and I am sure the kids you had with your wife are
> really yours.

Maybe, maybe not. But I have mine!

Old June 23rd 05, 10:44 PM
bookie29

my car was used when i bought it a year ago. the first time it happened it
started about 4 days after i bought it. "they" said that the battery was
dead so i bought another battery. then it happend again they said it was
the starter so i bought a new starter. now its happening again. when it
happened the second time i took it auto zone to check my battery and it
was good. my car has about 110,000 miles on it right now bc of traveling
back and forth from MS to NC. but i have a technician come to my house and
he said its probably the battery or the alternator but not for sure till he
get his "tools" to see the problem. so till he comes back with his tools he
will let me know for sure. he works with electrical stuff on cars. i hope
he can give me a definite answer.

Old June 23rd 05, 11:03 PM
Bill Putney

bookie29 wrote:

> ...i have a technician come to my house and
> he said its probably the battery or the alternator but not for sure till he
> get his "tools" to see the problem. so till he comes back with his tools he
> will let me know for sure. he works with electrical stuff on cars. i hope
> he can give me a definite answer.

Sounds like a good plan since all of our crystal balls are in the shop
right now. 8^) (you didn't quite explain the *three* batteries, but
that's OK)

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old June 24th 05, 01:27 AM
Art

Do you have another late model car with an embedded chip in they key?
According to my Toyota Avalon owner's manual, those keys can interfere with
each other and need to be kept away from the ignition when the car is
started or the car won't start.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 24th 05, 05:24 AM
KWS

So you replaced the battery that was originally in the car when you bought
it with another battery. That "first" battery apparently is good; at least
AutoZone seems to think so.

When you brought the battery to AutoZone, was it dead (requiring a
re-charge)?

When the car refuses to start, do other things electrical continue to work.
For instance, do the interior lights work, does the radio play, do the
headlights work?

If the battery is indeed alive (as evidenced by the folks at AutoZone and
stuff working as I described above), I would vote for something in the
primary starter circuit being bad. It's probably not the starter, since you
replaced it. First place I would look would be the ignition switch or
appropriate fuse. Next choices would be the neutral/park switch if it's an
automatic and I would work my way from there. Your technician buddy with his
trusty multimeter likely understands how to do this.

All the best,

Ken

lkaboutautos.com...

Old June 28th 05, 06:54 AM
BobbyG

First of all, you'll need a volt meter. Hook it up to positive & negative
on Battery, without engine running, if the battery is fully charged it
should read 12 to 13 volts. now start the engine and you should now have
around 14 volts. If not alternator is N/G. If alternator checks out ok,
then my guess is there is a short in your starter, draining your
battery,replace the starter, and your problems should be over. I've seen
this happen many times.From your discription I believe the starter is the
problem,but the alternator test is quick and simple, so check that first.
Good Luck