Civic AC weak?

Old June 12th 05, 12:11 AM
Nobody

Default Civic AC weak?

Upstate NY...hot and humid. My 2005 Civic EX's AC is worthless without
recirc on...is this normal?
Old June 12th 05, 12:55 AM
Cal Vanize

Nobody wrote:

> Upstate NY...hot and humid. My 2005 Civic EX's AC is worthless without
> recirc on...is this normal?

We just spent a week in FL. My wife's 2003 EX A/C did great without
recirc. My '98 is a little weak, but only under the worst conditions
(95f+ and silly humidity) do I need to hit recirc.

Old June 12th 05, 04:24 AM
duckbill

You likely have a very valid concern. Here are a few thoughts to consider
and a little background.
What are the length of your trips and are you driving city or highway?
What is the color of your car? If your driving in city traffic and have a
dark colored car you better keep it in recirculate until it cools down. I
would obtain a small AC thermometer and put it in the center duct. My
forest green 95 Civic EX is at 120 degrees when I enter the vehicle but it
will cool down to about 40 degrees out of the center duct in recir mode and
to about 48 degrees in normal (note: that's the temp of the air coming out
the vents, not the temp of the interior).....It's always possible your
Freon is low but unlikely. It's easy to overcharge these R-134A systems
because they have no sight glass. Good luck.

Old June 12th 05, 08:39 PM
Woody

You can buy a simple pressure gauge at Wallyworld for about $10. It will
tell you if the system is low or high.

6...

Old June 13th 05, 03:21 PM
butch burton

A big part of "cooling" is reducing the humidity - letting outside air
in defeats this.

Old June 13th 05, 06:48 PM
PM via CarKB.com

I've always owned Hondas and AC has always been an issue. The AC in my Civic
is useless in hot, humid weather without the recirc. In really hot, humid
weather, I have to have it on full blast for awhile before the car gets to
the temperature I like.