where to go from here?

Old December 27th 05, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default where to go from here?

I was given a 78 VW bus. It comes stock with a 2.0L FI engine. Mine
however, did NOT come with the FI system. I suppose the PO installed a
Holley 2 barrel carb. I didn't receive any info on the bus or engine so
I can only assume that the present fuel pump is the original or the
what is supposed to be for the FI, SO....this is pushing more fuel to
the carb than I need which is pushing the fuel past the rings and into
the oil, blah, blah, blah......anyway does anyone know where I can get
the FI system for a reasonable price OR should I stay with the Holley
and put in a different fuel pump? Also....as I was draining the fuel
tank I noticed rust in thte gas. Do you know a treatment for this
problem or if I should try and get a new fuel tank and where can I find
one of those???? MY first VW, need help? Any positive feedback is very
much appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael

Old December 27th 05, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

78busVeeDub wrote:
> I was given a 78 VW bus. It comes stock with a 2.0L FI engine. Mine
> however, did NOT come with the FI system. I suppose the PO installed a
> Holley 2 barrel carb. I didn't receive any info on the bus or engine so
> I can only assume that the present fuel pump is the original or the
> what is supposed to be for the FI, SO....this is pushing more fuel to
> the carb than I need which is pushing the fuel past the rings and into
> the oil, blah, blah, blah......anyway does anyone know where I can get
> the FI system for a reasonable price OR should I stay with the Holley
> and put in a different fuel pump? Also....as I was draining the fuel
> tank I noticed rust in thte gas. Do you know a treatment for this
> problem or if I should try and get a new fuel tank and where can I find
> one of those???? MY first VW, need help? Any positive feedback is very
> much appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Michael

Not practical to go back to FI. There are too many hard to find
and expensive parts.

This is what the stock FI pump looks like:
http://www2.cip1.com/PhotoGallery.as...%2D463%2 D016
It mounts under the left frame rail..
This pump can't be used with carb. Look and see if they haven't
put in a smaller elec pump somewhere.
You could also put a fuel pressure gauge on the line to the carb.
Should measure 2 psi or so.

Put an in-line fuel filter ahead of the pump (wherever it is) to
deal with the rust. There are tank rust products you can use also.

You never told us exactly what the problem you're having with the bus is:-)

Recommend buying either the Haynes manual or Bentley shop manual
for Buses '68 thru '79. It won't cover your carb setup but you'll
be needing it for other things.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old December 28th 05, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

78busVeeDub wrote:
> I was given a 78 VW bus. It comes stock with a 2.0L FI engine. Mine
> however, did NOT come with the FI system. I suppose the PO installed a
> Holley 2 barrel carb. I didn't receive any info on the bus or engine so
> I can only assume that the present fuel pump is the original or the
> what is supposed to be for the FI, SO....this is pushing more fuel to
> the carb than I need which is pushing the fuel past the rings and into
> the oil, blah, blah, blah......anyway does anyone know where I can get
> the FI system for a reasonable price OR should I stay with the Holley
> and put in a different fuel pump? Also....as I was draining the fuel
> tank I noticed rust in thte gas. Do you know a treatment for this
> problem or if I should try and get a new fuel tank and where can I find
> one of those???? MY first VW, need help? Any positive feedback is very
> much appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Michael

A lot of people do switch from the stock FI to carb. I don't agree with
that, but enough people do it that if you are patient and post messages
directly requesting '78 bus L-Jetronic stock parts you may well be able
to locate them. That said, it leads me to wonder just how much they
converted. If they left the stock pump in it, maybe the entire fuel rail
is still in place or parts of it. You really ought to pick up the
Bentley book as a matter of top priority. If that pump is the stock FI
pump it is capable of pressures over 100psi if an open return line isn't
provided. With the stock FI system and stock filter regularly replaced,
rust is seldom a problem as the fuel is circulated constantly and
particles are taken out by the filter. Hard to say what can of worms you
have opened!

Oh - one other thing - the stock FI pieces are getting pretty old, so
most of the buses that still have them are having problems with
deteriorated "formed" hoses, airflow meters that are worn out, and other
age related problems, so you may be best off making the carb work. -BaH
Old December 29th 05, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

78busVeeDub wrote:
> I was given a 78 VW bus. It comes stock with a 2.0L FI engine. Mine
> however, did NOT come with the FI system. I suppose the PO installed a
> Holley 2 barrel carb. I didn't receive any info on the bus or engine so
> I can only assume that the present fuel pump is the original or the
> what is supposed to be for the FI, SO....this is pushing more fuel to
> the carb than I need which is pushing the fuel past the rings and into
> the oil, blah, blah, blah......anyway does anyone know where I can get
> the FI system for a reasonable price OR should I stay with the Holley
> and put in a different fuel pump? Also....as I was draining the fuel
> tank I noticed rust in thte gas. Do you know a treatment for this
> problem or if I should try and get a new fuel tank and where can I find
> one of those???? MY first VW, need help? Any positive feedback is very
> much appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Michael

If it is a stock fuel pump, it could be bad and leaking fuel into the
case instead of being pumped there through the carb. Had that happen
to me. New fuel pump fixed the problem.

Old December 30th 05, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

A 2.0 FI case does NOT have a mount on the case for the fuel pump. Just the casting is there. Rough,
not finished.
Only the 1.7 and 1.8 cases have a usable fuel pump mounting surface.

oups.com...

Old January 5th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Karl wrote:
> A 2.0 FI case does NOT have a mount on the case for the fuel pump. Just the casting is there. Rough,
> not finished.
> Only the 1.7 and 1.8 cases have a usable fuel pump mounting surface.

Should have guessed that it was like that since no one else posted the
same thing I did. Boy, do I feel stupid............

Old January 5th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

TerryB wrote:
> Karl wrote:
>
>>A 2.0 FI case does NOT have a mount on the case for the fuel pump. Just the casting is there. Rough,
>>not finished.
>>Only the 1.7 and 1.8 cases have a usable fuel pump mounting surface.
>>

> Should have guessed that it was like that since no one else posted the
> same thing I did. Boy, do I feel stupid............

And the carbed 2.0 of course has a fuel pump mount and occupied by a
pump, from the factory Just pointing out the obvious in case someone
got the idea that no 2.0 cases has it ready.

Jan
Old January 6th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Jan Andersson wrote:
> TerryB wrote:
> > Karl wrote:
> >
> >>A 2.0 FI case does NOT have a mount on the case for the fuel pump. Just the casting is there. Rough,
> >>not finished.
> >>Only the 1.7 and 1.8 cases have a usable fuel pump mounting surface.
> >>

> > Should have guessed that it was like that since no one else posted the
> > same thing I did. Boy, do I feel stupid............
> >

> And the carbed 2.0 of course has a fuel pump mount and occupied by a
> pump, from the factory Just pointing out the obvious in case someone
> got the idea that no 2.0 cases has it ready.
>
> Jan

Yea, I knew that ............That's what I meant to say.........awww
forget it!

Old January 6th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

The centermount carbs are less than desirebale for the type 4 engines.
The runners are far too long with not heat. Tends to have a very
noticeable hesitation. I would consider strongly selling the
centermount and going to a set of duals once you get it up and running.
As stated above check the fuel pump[. If you need a new pump consider
the rotary pupm from AC.net....a nice piece and John is definitely
worth supporting. As far as teh tank goes....well the bad news is it
has to come out to treat. POR 15 makes a nice treatment kit that works
well. Replace the rubber inlet elbow as well while you have the tank
out and any other rubber bits. Agaain AC.net is a great place to get
the sealer kit etc. I have met ONE person who successfully pulled the
tank with the engine in place..its damn tight and I'm not sure I'd want
to attempt it. If you don't want to pull the engine completely, you may
consider un hooking the suppport bar, and upper tranny mount bolts and
just easing the whole unit down an inch or so to allow more clearance.

Old January 6th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

[...]

I've just sealed the tank on a 73 bus with center mount carb and
removed it without taking the engine out. I took off the left intake
and carb, then remove the the tank cover . from under the bus you need
to remove the 2 13mm nuts holding the straps and you want to remove the
fuel outlet.

Gary you might want to talk to Tony from AirCooled On-line parts near
you in Tampa his parts are all top quality and much cheaper + free
shipping for orders over $50