87 mustang GT front brake upgrade question

Old March 16th 05, 07:47 PM
John Hale

Default 87 mustang GT front brake upgrade question

When replacing the front brakes with 73 mm calipers (91 Lincoln Mark VII),
do you need to get different
(bigger, the ones used for a 91 Lincoln Mark VII) size rotors or will the
same ones do that are on the car. I realize that you should get slotted
rotors. Will the stock rotors on the 87 Mustang fit the 73 mm caliper
rotors?
When I get new slotted rotors for the upgrade, should I ask for rotors for
an 87 Mustang or a 91 Lincoln Mark VII since the calipers are for a 91
Lincoln Mark VII?

Thanks!!!

Old March 16th 05, 09:00 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

This link should answer most, if not all, of your questions:

http://svo73mm.cjb.net/

Old March 16th 05, 09:40 PM
.boB

John Hale wrote:
> When replacing the front brakes with 73 mm calipers (91 Lincoln Mark VII),
> do you need to get different
> (bigger, the ones used for a 91 Lincoln Mark VII) size rotors or will the
> same ones do that are on the car. I realize that you should get slotted
> rotors. Will the stock rotors on the 87 Mustang fit the 73 mm caliper
> rotors?
> When I get new slotted rotors for the upgrade, should I ask for rotors for
> an 87 Mustang or a 91 Lincoln Mark VII since the calipers are for a 91
> Lincoln Mark VII?
>
> Thanks!!!

The purpose of the slots was to allow the release
of gas produced by the hot brake pads. A quality brake
pad won't outgas enough to matter. So all the slots do
is decrease pad/rotor contact area. Which then
decreases braking effectiveness. Check the FAQ at
Baer Brakes and Wilwood Brakes.
Use a simple solid rotor and high quality pad to
get the best braking power. And it's cheaper.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old March 17th 05, 07:31 AM
ironrod

Nope, the calipers just bolt right up. You might need to go a larger master
cylinder though. Oddly enough, it's the newer Mustang's that need the
larger master cylinder, in the older ones the stock unit worked just fine.
(I have an 88GT where I made the exact same upgrade along with an SSBC rear
disk conversion kit which came with the larger master cylinder.)

Old March 21st 05, 04:10 AM
Mark C.

Man, i didn't realize there were so many parts to track down for the '88
T-Bird turbo rear disk conversion. The motorsports kit is dicontinued. A
buddy at work gave me a whole setup, calipers, adapters, rotors, master
cyl., etc. for nothing. He went to a 5 lug setup and said he was tired of
hauling extra parts around when he moved.

--
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who once said, "I drank
what?".

Old March 22nd 05, 06:32 PM
ironrod

You can get the parts list from SSBC and buy any additional odds and ends
you might need directly form them.

"Mark C." > wrote in message
> Man, i didn't realize there were so many parts to track down for the '88
> T-Bird turbo rear disk conversion. The motorsports kit is dicontinued. A
> buddy at work gave me a whole setup, calipers, adapters, rotors, master
> cyl., etc. for nothing. He went to a 5 lug setup and said he was tired of
> hauling extra parts around when he moved.
>
> --
> I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who once said, "I drank
> what?".
>

> "ironrod" > wrote in message
> > Nope, the calipers just bolt right up. You might need to go a larger
> > master
> > cylinder though. Oddly enough, it's the newer Mustang's that need the
> > larger master cylinder, in the older ones the stock unit worked just

fine.
> > (I have an 88GT where I made the exact same upgrade along with an SSBC
> > rear
> > disk conversion kit which came with the larger master cylinder.)
> >
> > "John Hale" > wrote in message
> >> When replacing the front brakes with 73 mm calipers (91 Lincoln Mark
> >> VII),
> >> do you need to get different
> >> (bigger, the ones used for a 91 Lincoln Mark VII) size rotors or will

the
> >> same ones do that are on the car. I realize that you should get slotted
> >> rotors. Will the stock rotors on the 87 Mustang fit the 73 mm caliper
> >> rotors?
> >> When I get new slotted rotors for the upgrade, should I ask for rotors
> >> for
> >> an 87 Mustang or a 91 Lincoln Mark VII since the calipers are for a 91
> >> Lincoln Mark VII?
> >>
> >> Thanks!!!

Brake upgrade for towing with a 97 Explorer [email protected] Ford Explorer 6 March 17th 05 04:19 AM
Super Beetle brake shoes - are front and rear the same? Scott H VW air cooled 13 March 15th 05 03:53 PM
Brake light question Charlie Corvette 6 January 16th 05 01:56 PM
front brake pads Trace Origin Honda 4 October 7th 04 02:13 PM