Please Help Me Identify This Air Cleaner

Old March 20th 05, 07:37 AM
Mike

Default Please Help Me Identify This Air Cleaner

Can someone please tell me what year(s)and which Mustangs this air
cleaner was found on?

http://webs.lanset.com/rjlz28/images/dsc02877.jpg

If you have trouble viewing the picture, it's a dark blue, 2-snorkel
air cleaner housing with a chrome lid and the phrase "5.0 Liter 4V
H.O." cutout from a black sticker around the outermost ring. It also
has the blue ford oval nut at the top instead of a wing-nut.

Is it 84-85 GT? Were all the 5.0's carbureted in these years? I've
seen pictures of these cars with similar, but not identical-looking air
cleaners (on some the lettering is on an inner ring, and on others, the
lid looks taller). Is this the "460 style" dual-snorkel GT air
cleaner?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
~Mike

btw, if you happen to be looking for one of these, I'm going to put it
on Ebay soon. Let me know and I can send you the item # when it's up.

Old March 20th 05, 05:19 PM
JS

"Mike" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Can someone please tell me what year(s)and which Mustangs this air
> cleaner was found on?
>
> http://webs.lanset.com/rjlz28/images/dsc02877.jpg
>
> If you have trouble viewing the picture, it's a dark blue, 2-snorkel
> air cleaner housing with a chrome lid and the phrase "5.0 Liter 4V
> H.O." cutout from a black sticker around the outermost ring. It also
> has the blue ford oval nut at the top instead of a wing-nut.
>
> Is it 84-85 GT? Were all the 5.0's carbureted in these years? I've
> seen pictures of these cars with similar, but not identical-looking air
> cleaners (on some the lettering is on an inner ring, and on others, the
> lid looks taller). Is this the "460 style" dual-snorkel GT air
> cleaner?
>
> Any info is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> ~Mike
>
> btw, if you happen to be looking for one of these, I'm going to put it
> on Ebay soon. Let me know and I can send you the item # when it's up.

This part was stock equipment on '83-85 4-bbl carbureted GTs / Capri 5.0
models. In '84 and '85, automatic GTs were CFI injected and had a similar
air cleaner - it looks like this:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...48099634IYKgTo

Also note that I've never seen a blue one - all OEMs came black as far as I
can remember like the picture above. Stock, they also came with a standard
wing-nut and possibly a washer, not a Ford blue oval - that's a Pep Boys
thing.

This is the "460-style dual snorkel" air cleaner.

Hope this helps.

JS

Old March 20th 05, 08:03 PM
Musttanguy

Mike wrote:
> Can someone please tell me what year(s)and which Mustangs this air
> cleaner was found on?
>
> http://webs.lanset.com/rjlz28/images/dsc02877.jpg
>
> Is it 84-85 GT? Were all the 5.0's carbureted in these years? I've
> seen pictures of these cars with similar, but not identical-looking

air
> cleaners (on some the lettering is on an inner ring, and on others,

the
> lid looks taller). Is this the "460 style" dual-snorkel GT air
> cleaner?

All the factory 83-85 Mustangs with the 5.0/ manual 5 speed
transmission were carb'd (600 cfm). These all came from the factory
with a black wrinckle finish on the housing and aluminum lids. 1982
Mustangs were also carb'd but were only 2BBL (369 cfm) and had a
smaller air cleaner. The automatics had the same air cleaner but said
EFI instead of the 4BBL as they were equiped with CFI.
Someone repainted this one during its time and added the aftermarket
Ford wing nut to it.

Hope this is helpful

Tim (Musttanguy)
WWW.PonyPerformance.com

Old March 23rd 05, 04:00 AM
Mike

Thanks for the great information JS and Musttanguy! That's exactly
what I was looking for.

~Mike