Phatnoise

Old May 10th 05, 11:37 PM
wkearney99

> Actually, the Ipod kits for factory radios are $200 (just checked the
> BestBuy prices) and I noticed that you can only access your first 5
> playlists.

Some head units (alpine and pioneer models) have the ability to delve deeper
into playlists beyond just imitating 6-disc changers. Not that they're
without their own sets of issues. Some CD-text capable head units can
(supposedly) also show the current track info.

Being able to wander around in playlists on an ipod is both a blessing and a
curse. Sure, it's cool to jump from one set of tunes to another but not if
you end up rear-ending the car ahead of you. I'd *really* prefer to have
better scroll functionality on some sort of 'stalk remote' that could be put
up near the turn signals. Trying to use the scroll wheel while driving is
NOT an ideal interface. And most of the existing (all?) ipod remotes do not
facilitate scrolling very well.

And as an aside, it sucks you can't jump from listening to a track by a
given artist over to other tracks by the artist. That is, when listening to
a playlist that contains a number of different artists it's be handy to be
able to jump out of that list and over to just a list by that artists.

-Bill Kearney

Old May 11th 05, 12:16 AM
wkearney99

> Interface box? You can use anything from an FM broadcaster {$19.00}, to
> a cassette adapter, if you've got a deck. The best quality {and
> cheapest} is if your deck has an input for an external CD player, get a
> cable and put it in thru there. Less then $10.00.

If all one wants is aux input AND their head unit can be convinced to enable
the input then it's certainly possible.

However, in the context of this conversation thread, being Phatnoise
related, it's sort of pointless to bring up FM transmitters or aux inputs,
isn't it?

> For me, the coolest thing is the utility of the IPod.

It's versatitily is handy.

> OTOH, if your a Windows user, and you can get it hooked up to your
> Jeep's stereo, $119.00's a screaming deal.

Yes, thus my question as to how "vw specific" the PN boxes are. I could
certainly yank out the existing head unit and put in some crappy old VW
Gamma V but that'd be a step backwards. If, however, the PN boxes have some
greater capability, possibly via cabling, other firmware or the like, then
you're dead-right, it's a heck of a deal.

At this point in time, however, the Cabrio needs to use an ipod. We've each
got our own and tend to swap the car between us. She never drives my
raggedy-ass old Cherokee so putting a PN in it might be worth entertaining.

Any ideas on where hacking info can be found for the vw-intended PN boxes?

-Bill Kearney

Old May 11th 05, 06:33 AM
CSS

"Wm Donley" > wrote in message
> In article <tlQfe.3697$Fv.1255@lakeread01>,
> "Don Mac Phee" > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know why there is a sudden drop in price for this system? Is
>> there something on the horizon?
>>
>> -Don

> Ipods. Usable at home, also. Cheaper, better software. I looked both
> the remote cd deck, and the PN, and bought an Ipod. More versatile, and
> less money. At the original price, the Phatnoise was way overpriced. At
> $119.00, it's a pretty good deal. 20 gigs'll store a lot of music...Bill

The price drop is limited to VW PBs, so that shoots the "IPod" theory down,
I guess.

I have heard that the new VWs have 6 disc in-dash CD with MP3 capability, so
it is likely VW will discontinue PB and this is a clearance sale.

Old May 11th 05, 06:34 AM
CSS