'04 ZJ opinions/experience

Old July 5th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Al J

Default '04 ZJ opinions/experience

Thinking about a low mileage(21K) 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0
Selectrac. Has DC fixed many of the problems common to late '90s ZJs
I.e. leaks, axle problems, trans problems, or have there been new ones?
I did notice different trans cooler line fittings, an external fuel
filter(fuel pump??), and larger front brake calibers. The old 4 link
rear suspension with track bar has been replaced by a triangular upper
link attached to the top of the differential - is this an improvement or
just a way to lower cost? Have there been any major recalls on these? An
'03 would also be an option, were they better or worse than the '04's?

Thanx
Old July 6th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

The nomenclature for an 2004 Grand Cherokee is WJ. And as far as I
know none have any problems.
None are off road capable, so I would pass this "triangular"
control arm modification.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 7th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

WJs off-road

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2105516192

Old July 7th 06, 06:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

I could have backed off a rock and staged my '89 Thunderbird to
look more capable.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 7th 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Al J

Thanks, that would explain why a search for '04 ZJ problems' turned up
very little. We use our '97 ZJ for light duty towing, both boats and
snowmobiles and rarely go farther offroad than an occasional fireroad or
out on a frozen lake. I just don't care for all the changes on the new
ones and the Liberty just seems too cramped and I rarely see one pass me
at 70+. Our '97 ZJ has 75K miles on it, is 10 years old and an '04 WJ
seems like a good last chance.

The revised rear upper control arm setup made me wonder if it was the
fix for all the problems with rear axle carrier bearings, since this
would seem to take some of the loading off the axle tube to differential
case. The new Liberty's have a similar setup, which made me wonder if DC
was just sharing parts to save $$$ ;-)

In article >, says...

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 11th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

"Al J" > wrote in message

> The revised rear upper control arm setup made me wonder if it was the
> fix for all the problems with rear axle carrier bearings, since this
> would seem to take some of the loading off the axle tube to differential
> case. The new Liberty's have a similar setup, which made me wonder if DC
> was just sharing parts to save $$$ ;-)

Weight load is still on the axle tubes, the links only serve to locate the
axles, the load is taken by the springs.