One less Cobra...

Old January 23rd 05, 05:13 PM
Grover C. McCoury III

Default One less Cobra...

Two ejected, killed as antique car hits pole
Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel

January 23, 2005

Two people were killed Saturday night when their antique roadster struck
a pole, ejecting them both from the convertible.

The pair died in the 4200 block of Polk Street just after 8 p.m.,
according to Hollywood police spokesman Capt. Tony Rode.

The two were not immediately identified, but Rode said the driver was a
middle-age Broward County man. The female passenger was not yet
identified late Saturday night.

Witnesses told police they saw the 1966 Ford Cobra driving west at a
high rate of speed. The car hit the center median and went airborne
briefly before the $200,000 sports car hit a concrete utility pole. The
pair were thrown and pronounced dead at the scene.

Rode said no other cars were involved.

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C @
http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt
Old January 23rd 05, 05:22 PM
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK

"Grover C. McCoury III" > wrote in message
> Two ejected, killed as antique car hits pole
> Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel
>
> January 23, 2005
>
> Two people were killed Saturday night when their antique roadster struck
> a pole, ejecting them both from the convertible.

Don't ya just LOVE when papers call something "Antique"?
"Antique" means 100 years or over.......the 1966 Cobra is a "Classic"
You would think a god damn journalist would know this.......

Old January 23rd 05, 06:06 PM
Jeff

"DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK" > wrote in message
m...

(...)
> Don't ya just LOVE when papers call something "Antique"?
> "Antique" means 100 years or over.......the 1966 Cobra is a "Classic"
> You would think a god damn journalist would know this.......

Actually, antique means "a manufactured product (as an automobile) from an
earlier period." (from www.m-w.com). (There are other definitions, as well,
like in customs, where it does mean more than 100 years old.)

And, any car over 25 years old qualifies as an "antique."
http://www.searchspaniel.com/index.php/Antique_car

Apparently, this "god damn journalist" knew this and used the proper
terminology.

Jeff

Old January 23rd 05, 06:26 PM
WindsorFox[SS]

DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK wrote:

> Don't ya just LOVE when papers call something "Antique"?
> "Antique" means 100 years or over.......the 1966 Cobra is a "Classic"
> You would think a god damn journalist would know this.......

That would be incorrect when refering to cars. In most states
you can get an antique plate at 25 years. Cars and furniture are
quite different.

--
3) If it were My Mustang, I would have yanked
the stupid xxxxx out of her beater and beat in
Old January 23rd 05, 06:30 PM
Bob Urz

Grover C. McCoury III wrote:

> Two ejected, killed as antique car hits pole
> Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel
>
> January 23, 2005
>
> Two people were killed Saturday night when their antique roadster struck
> a pole, ejecting them both from the convertible.
>
> The pair died in the 4200 block of Polk Street just after 8 p.m.,
> according to Hollywood police spokesman Capt. Tony Rode.
>
> The two were not immediately identified, but Rode said the driver was a
> middle-age Broward County man. The female passenger was not yet
> identified late Saturday night.
>
> Witnesses told police they saw the 1966 Ford Cobra driving west at a
> high rate of speed. The car hit the center median and went airborne
> briefly before the $200,000 sports car hit a concrete utility pole. The
> pair were thrown and pronounced dead at the scene.
>
> Rode said no other cars were involved.
>
> Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C @
> http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

I could think of a LOT of worse ways to go.............

Bob
Old January 23rd 05, 06:48 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Bob Urz opined in :

> Grover C. McCoury III wrote:
>
>> Two ejected, killed as antique car hits pole
>> Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel
>>
>> January 23, 2005
>>
>> Two people were killed Saturday night when their antique roadster struck
>> a pole, ejecting them both from the convertible.
>>

>> The two were not immediately identified, but Rode said the driver was a
>> middle-age Broward County man. The female passenger was not yet
>> identified late Saturday night.
>>

> I could think of a LOT of worse ways to go.............

Why am I flashing on a "Miami Vice" scene... or something from Elmore
Leonard?

Wanna bet the female passenger is less than thirty?

Old January 23rd 05, 07:15 PM
Mark C.

It was probably a kit car. No real cobra owner in thier right mind would
drive an original like that except on the race track. I can see a rich
fellow going out for a cruise in his original and getting hit by some ass
talking on a cell phone but solo? No way!

--
Mark C.

Old January 23rd 05, 07:52 PM
2.3Sleeper

I tried getting my classic plates for my 72 Chevy P/U in 91 and I was
informed I had to wait until 1993, as Oklahoma stamps a car a classic at 20
years.

I am not sure what constitutes getting antique status, but I know it isn't
100 years and it isn't 25 years.

Don Manning

Old January 23rd 05, 07:55 PM
Stuart & Janet

STOP CROSSPOSTING!!!!! GEEZ!

StuK

Old January 23rd 05, 09:20 PM
pick one

"Grover C. McCoury III" > wrote in message
> Two ejected, killed as antique car hits pole
> Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel
>
> January 23, 2005
>
> Two people were killed Saturday night when their antique roadster struck a
> pole, ejecting them both from the convertible.
>
> The pair died in the 4200 block of Polk Street just after 8 p.m., according to
> Hollywood police spokesman Capt. Tony Rode.
>
> The two were not immediately identified, but Rode said the driver was a
> middle-age Broward County man. The female passenger was not yet identified
> late Saturday night.
>
> Witnesses told police they saw the 1966 Ford Cobra driving west at a high rate
> of speed. The car hit the center median and went airborne briefly before the
> $200,000 sports car hit a concrete utility pole. The pair were thrown and
> pronounced dead at the scene.
>
> Rode said no other cars were involved.
>
> Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C @
> http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

I'm willing to bet this was not a true classic but a replica, although an
expensive replica ( kit car ). What the death of two people involved in a car
crash has to do with this NG is beyond me.