ford cruise control deactivation to prevent fire

Old November 4th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill[_11_]

Default ford cruise control deactivation to prevent fire

ix-noarchive: yes
I recently purchased a 95 f150 and have become aware of the cruise control
fire issue
I would appreciate comments or links on deactivating the fire prone cruise
control switch on this 1995 F150 6cyl truck (and dealing with any other
similar surprises)
I don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with ford (I now know why
ford is losing business--their failure to accept immediate responsibility
for problems such as this-)
I would hope I can just remove power to the switch or disconnect the switch
itself, but know how this sometimes causes other unforeseen situations to
occur
(I have the tools and experience to do it, just trying to do it right the
first time without re-inventing the wheel--I am in the process of trying to
get a factory wiring diagram but don't have it yet)

Thanks in advance
Bill

Old November 4th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

Bill wrote:
> ix-noarchive: yes
> I recently purchased a 95 f150 and have become aware of the cruise control
> fire issue
> I would appreciate comments or links on deactivating the fire prone cruise
> control switch on this 1995 F150 6cyl truck (and dealing with any other
> similar surprises)
> I don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with ford (I now know why
> ford is losing business--their failure to accept immediate responsibility
> for problems such as this-)

Seems self-defeating given that Ford is picking up the tab.

> I would hope I can just remove power to the switch or disconnect the switch
> itself, but know how this sometimes causes other unforeseen situations to
> occur
> (I have the tools and experience to do it, just trying to do it right the
> first time without re-inventing the wheel--I am in the process of trying to
> get a factory wiring diagram but don't have it yet)
>
> Thanks in advance
> Bill

See the recall below. Using your word, how much hassle could there be
for the owner to take the truck to Ford to have a switch replaced. The
hassle of deactiviting the speed control and living without the feature
would seem to pose a greater level of hassle.

Cruise Control Recall - F-150 Trucks, Expeditions, Lincoln Navigators &
Broncos
September 7, 2005
Ford Cruise Control Recall

Ford Motor Company announced a massive safety recall on 1994-2002
vehicles to correct a problem that could cause the cruise control
deactivation switch to overheat and create an underhood fire.

Models Affected by Ford's Cruise Control Recall

1994-2002 Ford F-150s
1997-2002 Ford Expeditions
1998-2002 Lincoln Navigators
1994-1996 Ford Broncos with factory cruise control
Ford found that brake fluid coul leak through the cruise deactivation
switch into the cruise system's electrical components and cause
corrosion. Corrosion can cause a short and keep the cruise control from
working, but in some cases it can

Old November 4th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Slick

Slick , I have a 2000 ford f-150 ,the best bet is go under the hood and
on the drivers side . You will find a large black box filled with LOTS
of relays.There is one it's a 15amp fuse plus a relay that is found in
the same big box. It's not hard to disconact, I find that cruse
controls burn out tranny' if not properly used. Due to the same problem
my 2000 sets in the corner and I'm driving my 1986 ford 6 cylinder and
yes I'm ****ed at FORD Good luck