what kind of trasmission is used on a 1999 Chrysler T&C?

Old October 29th 05, 05:56 PM
Steve

Default what kind of trasmission is used on a 1999 Chrysler T&C?

harry wrote:

> DS
>
> Do you know what type of oil is used by Jiffy Lube?

Nope, because its irrelevant. No way in HELL is that place touching any
car of mine.

> I was recommended to
> use their T-Tec process to clean out the torque converter for through
> cleaning.

One of the reasons they won't touch my cars- scams like that. Regular
normal draining of the transmission is fine, there's no need for any
goofy "flushing" process.

> Also is it OK to let Jiffy do the fuel filter change? Do they typically
> have the right kind of filter for my van?

They're more likely to have the right filter than the right fluid, but
again... who cares?

Old October 30th 05, 03:46 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"aarcuda69062" > wrote in message

> > It's OK to let them do it if it needs doing, it almost certainly does

not
> > need
> > doing, however.

> Ted, at 103K miles, why do you believe that his fuel filter "does
> not need doing?"

He's not complaining of drivability problems. While replacing a
fuel filter is probably good preventative maintainence, that doesen't
mean it -needs- doing.

> For the OP, a fuel filter change on a 99 T&C requires removal one
> fuel tank support strap and partial lowering of the fuel tank,
> this also is certainly beyond the capabilities of the fast food
> franchise rejects.

That's better than my 94 AWD where the fuel filter (at least, one of
them) is -in- tank and changing it involves dropping the tank and
pulling the pump.

Ted

Old October 30th 05, 03:51 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"aarcuda69062" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote:
>
> > As for the expense, it is very cheap. You can easily get a genuine

Mopar
> > accessory transmission cooler from any wrecking yard for next to

nothing,
> > (you would make sure whomever used this would flush it out well) or a
> > brand new aftermarket one from any place that sells towing accessories,
> > which is most auto parts stores, or from the dealer. It's a 10 minute

job
> > plumb it in.

> Ummmm... this is a 99, installing a transmission cooler properly
> requires the removal of the front fascia, while not terribly
> difficult, it is a little more than a 10 minute job and requires
> the removal (careful removal) of numerous fragile plastic
> fasteners which once broken and/or mangled are not likely to be
> replaced. You'll also want to use some of the molded hoses that
> Chrysler uses in order to avoid kinking, and as most after-market
> coolers mount with plastic 'Zip' type fasteners thru the AC
> condenser, the condenser likely needs to be unbolted and shifted
> in order to get the 'zip' fasteners thru the condenser fins.
>
> > It's quite possible the Jiffy Lube people would plumb a cooler
> > in for you when they did the fluid flush.

> You're joking, right?
> Have someone with some skill and training do it.
> Jiffy Lube would be hard pressed to identify which cooler hose is
> the return

:-).

Hey, I don't use them - at least, not anymore. I used to use them when
they would still evacuate and charge R-12. But, I'm also the kind of
customer that stands over the guy and watches what he's doing.

Ted

Old October 30th 05, 03:56 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message

> Depending on the climate where you live, you may well no need one. I
> have 174,000 on my 96 Grand Voyager with the 3.3/4 speed combination
> without a hitch. I live in PA where the summer temps are typically
> below 95 and the winter runs as low as -20. I don't tow or otherwise
> abuse the van. Never had an auxiliary cooler and see no need for one.
> Maybe if I lived in southern AZ or TX I'd give it more consideration.

Matt, you probably pay better attention to nicities like the level of
coolant in your radiator, stuff like that, you know, the kind of thing
that the average person IGNORES.

An aux cooler will save the transmission if the water pump seizes and
the driver goes 50 miles with all the coolant boiled out of his system,
or until the engine seizes. And I can think of a number of people such
as my wife and mother who are perfectly capabable of doing something
like this.

The worst you can say about an aux cooler is it won't help. But it's
not going to hurt if properly installed, and it is cheap insurance.

Ted

Old October 30th 05, 12:56 PM
Matt Whiting

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> "Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
>
>>Depending on the climate where you live, you may well no need one. I
>>have 174,000 on my 96 Grand Voyager with the 3.3/4 speed combination
>>without a hitch. I live in PA where the summer temps are typically
>>below 95 and the winter runs as low as -20. I don't tow or otherwise
>>abuse the van. Never had an auxiliary cooler and see no need for one.
>>Maybe if I lived in southern AZ or TX I'd give it more consideration.
>>

> Matt, you probably pay better attention to nicities like the level of
> coolant in your radiator, stuff like that, you know, the kind of thing
> that the average person IGNORES.

Proper fluid levels aren't "niceties". :-)

> An aux cooler will save the transmission if the water pump seizes and
> the driver goes 50 miles with all the coolant boiled out of his system,
> or until the engine seizes. And I can think of a number of people such
> as my wife and mother who are perfectly capabable of doing something
> like this.

If the water pump seizes, it most likely will throw the belt so you'll
lose PS, etc., long before your tranny notices a significant temperature
rise. And I'd be amazed if an engine would run for 50 miles with no
coolant.

> The worst you can say about an aux cooler is it won't help. But it's
> not going to hurt if properly installed, and it is cheap insurance.

That is true in general, but an additional cooler means additional lines
and, more importantly, connections and these are prone to fail. Every
extra one you add to your car reduces the overall MTBF. I prefer not to
add things I don't need.

Matt