questions on financing & dealer negotiation

Old October 24th 05, 08:46 PM
tito

Default questions on financing & dealer negotiation

A 2004 chrysler pacifica (28k miles, awd) is listed at $20,990 at my
local chrysler dealer on Long Island (NY). This looks like a reasonable
price (and my online research confirms it is well within standard book
values), but is it true that dealers can normally be talked into
shaving a few dollars off the sticker price? I intend to trade in my
1994 Ford Explorer (eddie bauer) which has clocked in 102k miles. Is
$19k a realistic demand? How do I spin it?

Initially I have to finance 100% of this but will pay off the full
balance by March. Will they slam a bank fee? Do penalties apply for
paying off the loan early? Besides sales tax, what other hidden costs
are possible?

Old October 25th 05, 12:55 AM
David

"tito" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>A 2004 chrysler pacifica (28k miles, awd) is listed at $20,990 at my
> local chrysler dealer on Long Island (NY). This looks like a reasonable
> price (and my online research confirms it is well within standard book
> values), but is it true that dealers can normally be talked into
> shaving a few dollars off the sticker price? I intend to trade in my
> 1994 Ford Explorer (eddie bauer) which has clocked in 102k miles. Is
> $19k a realistic demand?

Realistic? You have to realize the dealer is going to make a profit on the
vehicle. The used vehicle has mark up value in it. By how much, it depends
on what it was bought for at an Auction, Or what it was traded in for? A
dealer will low ball you on yopur trade to maximize his profit.

They big variable is vehicle condition? What condition is your vehicle in?
Is it going to need tires, windshield, etc. The dealer will tally this up
and subtract it off you trade-in value.

How do I spin it?

> Initially I have to finance 100% of this but will pay off the full
> balance by March. Will they slam a bank fee? Do penalties apply for
> paying off the loan early? Besides sales tax, what other hidden costs
> are possible?

You have to take that up with your bank! And ask the F&I manager these
questions. Most dealers deal pretty much with all banks and finance
companies, so You would have to work out what exatly you are working on. The
best choise is to work with your bank or Credit Union before hand and then
look at the finance options with the dealer.

Old October 25th 05, 01:42 PM
Sarge

tito wrote: "A 2004 chrysler pacifica (28k miles, awd) is listed at $20,990
at my local chrysler dealer on Long Island (NY). This looks like a
reasonable price (and my online research confirms it is well within standard
book values), but is it true that dealers can normally be talked into
shaving a few dollars off the sticker price?"

On a new car take sticker minus roughly 4000 dollars and that is what they
can play with unless it is something on teh low end like a Neon. Dealers
sometime sell trade in but wholesale them more then sell. Used cars have a
big markup. Most of the cars the dealer is selling used are auction cars.
They call them program cars.

They get program cars from these auctions. The auctions get their cars from
bank repo, rental agencies and dealer loaner cars.

Sarge

Old October 26th 05, 04:09 AM
tito

thanks for the valuable feedback. I ended up buying a 2004 pacifica
(touring awd, 18k miles) for $18,500 - Sticker price was listed at
$22k, and they lowered to 18.5k, which included the explorer trade in.
Not bad considering the explorer was worth $500-1000 at best

Old October 27th 05, 12:36 AM
philthy

spend 20 k on that used vehicle and u are getting it in the ass
look far a used car dealer then make up your mind
the dam near are giving them cars away new