VW TV ADVERTISING

Old April 27th 05, 04:20 AM

Default VW TV ADVERTISING

Is it just me, or has VW gone out of the auto business and is just
selling car radios now days??? Their latest TV ad for the new Jetta,
showing a guy driving executives from his company --- the boss reaches
for the radio button and gets a blast of noise (well, some people would
call it music). And that is supposed to sell cars???

I've seen a second one -- just as dumb -- but only once.

Hey, VW employees: If you want to keep your job, you'd better tell your
bosses to dump their current advertising company and go back to one of
the old ones --- maybe the "fahrferneugen" one??

Just askin

Old April 27th 05, 05:56 AM
Matt B.

> wrote in message ...
> Is it just me, or has VW gone out of the auto business and is just
> selling car radios now days??? Their latest TV ad for the new Jetta,
> showing a guy driving executives from his company --- the boss reaches
> for the radio button and gets a blast of noise (well, some people would
> call it music). And that is supposed to sell cars???
>
> I've seen a second one -- just as dumb -- but only once.

There can be such a thing as a dumb/bad commercial but for the most part if
you see a commercial that you don't "get", it usually means you're not the
target audience for that particular product.

Old April 27th 05, 01:13 PM
Papa

VW TV advertising? You mean VW actually has them? I haven't seen any lately.
The ones they did for the Beetle back in the 1960s were sheer genius, and
got a lot of media attention - much to the dismay of GM, Ford, and Chrysler.

Old April 27th 05, 07:48 PM
Tony Bad

"Papa" > wrote in message
. net...
> VW TV advertising? You mean VW actually has them? I haven't seen any

lately.
> The ones they did for the Beetle back in the 1960s were sheer genius, and
> got a lot of media attention - much to the dismay of GM, Ford, and

Chrysler.

Yeah, but think back to some of those great old print ads. Many had unusual
pictures of the cars, or had them in odd spots, where the car was barely
visible. Remember the classic where the big wording under the ad was Lemon?
According to the original posters theory, one would have bought a lemon
rather than a VW after seeing this ad.

--
Tony Bad
--------------

02 Jetta Wagon
01 Eurovan MV
91 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
86 Jetta
79 Rabbit 1.5 Diesel (semi-retired for now)
Schwinn Continental 10 Speed
Radio Flyer Pedal Car (my daughter made me add this)

Old April 28th 05, 12:08 AM
Rob Guenther

Da-Da-Dum

Da-Da-Dum

........ This is the one I remember the most - perhaps they should show off
the Jetta's huge 16cu ft trunk by picking up sets of golf clubs or
something.

The commercials seem to reach out to people my age (early 20's) - getting
mature and responsible... but not quite there yet... Tho the Mk4 definatly
has more appeal then the current model for people my age.

- I shut my radio off, or listen to the stations in the FM2 side of my FM
radio presets when there are older people with me in the car - and the
tachometer never shows much more then 2500rpm ;-).... Get me alone or with
similar aged people and the beats are pumping loud, and the engine is
running to well over 3500rpm, with a little smoke coming out of the tailpipe
(TDI with a powerbox)

Old April 29th 05, 03:41 PM
JJ Braunius

No, see what this commercial shows is that Jetta is for the hip young
guy who has great business savvy, also the Jetta is stylish and roomy
enough to lug the executives around...
From what I've seen - I don't think you really want to have passengers
in the back for really long time.
Old April 29th 05, 03:44 PM
JJ Braunius

I guess that's where the term "lemon" for a bad car came from?
Or the term "buggy" in software development?

Old April 29th 05, 07:24 PM
Rob Guenther

Buggy, or a "bug" in software/hardware comes from a dead bug (moth I
believe) in one of the old vacuum tube computers, it screwed something up -
causing certain circuits to not function... they found the bug and removed
it.

I forget where I read this, some computer publication, probably in one of
those "did you know" boxes.

Old May 2nd 05, 01:40 AM
David Magda

JJ Braunius > writes:

> From what I've seen - I don't think you really want to have
> passengers in the back for really long time.

It depends on how far back the front seats are pushed back. While not
*extremely* roomy, I have've had more than one person who has taller
that 6'3'' in the back, and they said it was reasonable.

Of course this was for shortish trips (less than an hour), but you
could do much worse.

This is a 2003 Golf with four doors.

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/