Copy of email to [email protected]

Old March 3rd 05, 10:42 PM
Michael Rodgers

"Julian Edge" > wrote in message
> Sirs
>
> I am writing to you to explain the reasons behind my bitter disappointment
> with BMW.

<snip complete crap>

You bought an old shape, poverty spec BMW.

It's now 9 years old, and, as expected of an old BMW, has developed a huge
bill.

In what way is this BMW's problem? They don't warrant their cars to run for
ever and ever.

Old March 3rd 05, 10:42 PM
Andy Turner

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:28:12 -0000, "Julian Edge"
> wrote:

>"Andy Turner" > wrote in message
>
>> You'd be a fool to think that they're going to reward loyalty.

>They would be fools not to have seen the blatant coercive use of 'customer
>loyalty' as a weapon of control in today's consumerist society.

Yeah, but from their point of view, this loyalty hasn't manifested
itself in a new purchase. I think the manufacturers are only going to
be interested in maintaining customer loyalty if it means you loyally
purchase a new one every few years, rather than 'loyally' hang onto
the same one for years.

>Wouldn't it be nice, though'but if they were to consider the political /
>marketing / socially responsible effects of encouraging the ideas of
>maintaining the planets resources through reliability and longevity of
>design?

They could perhaps argue that trying to get you to run a newer car
*is* actually greener than persisting with the older one.

>See? Now I'm rambling. Curse you, Turner!

hehe, I'm sat here playing GTA:SA on an adjacent PC screen (PS2 hooked
up to it), where a car is lucky to last me six minutes, nevermind six
years!

andyt

Old March 3rd 05, 10:43 PM
Michael Rodgers

"Julian Edge" > wrote in message
> I've had a ****ing ball driving it.

I thought you said you had a 318?

Old March 3rd 05, 10:44 PM
Adrian

Alex Buell ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

How does that excuse the 328 being so ****?
Old March 3rd 05, 10:44 PM
Peter Corlett

Andy Turner > wrote:
[...]
> They could perhaps argue that trying to get you to run a newer car
> *is* actually greener than persisting with the older one.

I gather that cars generate more pollution in their manufacture than
they produce in their lifetime. So keeping a rustbucket on the road
(assuming minor repairs) makes good environmental sense.

--
I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that
phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His
Old March 3rd 05, 10:45 PM
Michael Rodgers

"Alex Buell" > wrote in message
> I'm shocked it was that much for a car that's only done 65,000 miles,
> and now you're writing it off. I'm due to pay £1,309 for my latest
> service plus MOT and repairs on my Audi 2.6 V6 cabriolet, and she's
> done 187,000 miles.

Gotta love German reliability.

Old March 3rd 05, 10:51 PM
Alex Buell

On 3 Mar 2005 22:44:25 GMT, Adrian > wrote:

>Alex Buell ) gurgled happily, sounding much =

like=20
>they were saying :
>
>>>Second worst was the E36 328 touring with Alpina suspension and rims.=20
>>>****, that was TRULY AWFUL. It was also only about a year old at the=20
>>>time. I've never been in such a hideously uncomfortable car.

>> As a general rule, I think at least two litres is the minium one can
>> get away with, unless they're turbo-charged...=20

>How does that excuse the 328 being so ****?

Why is it ****? I've not driven that.

Cheers,
Alex.
--=20
http://www.munted.org.uk
Old March 3rd 05, 10:59 PM
Adrian

Alex Buell ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

>>> As a general rule, I think at least two litres is the minium one can
>>> get away with, unless they're turbo-charged...

>>How does that excuse the 328 being so ****?

> Why is it ****? I've not driven that.

As I said - I did have the "pleasure" - and it was marginally better than a
Proton. For a start, it couldn't be driven above walking pace on anything
other than a billiard-table smooth surface (not many of them round here)
without serious risk of needing a visit to a dentist.

The four-pot engine in the 318 was awful, but the rest of the car wasn't
much better - all the 328 did was highlight how wasted that engine was on
that car - same situation as the early Civic Vtec a different ex-boss had.
Old March 3rd 05, 11:15 PM
JackH

"Adrian" > wrote in message
. 1.4...
> Alex Buell ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
> they were saying :

> >>How does that excuse the 328 being so ****?

> > Why is it ****? I've not driven that.

> As I said - I did have the "pleasure" - and it was marginally better than

> Proton. For a start, it couldn't be driven above walking pace on anything
> other than a billiard-table smooth surface (not many of them round here)
> without serious risk of needing a visit to a dentist.

You said up ^ there... 'Alpina suspension and rims'... which might go some
way to explaining that particular one...

--
JackH

Old March 3rd 05, 11:23 PM
Steve Walker

In message > , Adrian
> writes

>Second worst was the E36 328 touring with Alpina suspension and rims. ****,
>that was TRULY AWFUL. It was also only about a year old at the time. I've
>never been in such a hideously uncomfortable car.

Stiffened suspension and big alloys with rubberband tyres, by any
chance? That would give any car a ride like a tin plate sliding down the
stairs, though.

--
Steve Walker