Anyone else create merge openings behind them?

Old January 15th 05, 08:21 AM
AZGuy

Default Anyone else create merge openings behind them?

A lot of time when there are lanes on the right that end and the
people have to merge a lot of the people in the thru lane just hate
like hell to let anyone in. I often hang back a bit when traffic
starts moving to make the guy behind me also hang back and then
accelerate quickly to form a gap between me and the guy behind me so
the guy to the right has a gap to merge into. Anyone else do that
for anyone? I could really hang back and let them in in front of me
but you have to draw the line somewhere....
--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House
of Representatives, August 17, 1789
Old January 15th 05, 09:22 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

I do, but it's a karmic thing is all. No agenda other than being
considerate.

Exiting the freeway is the same thing. Once there was a NBA game happening;
I think PDX must have been in the playoffs or something because the line of
cars exiting was pretty long. I saw a gap near the front and headed for it,
but as soon as the driver saw me pull in, he closed it with half of my car
sticking out into the lane. I gestured at him to let me in and he started
screaming at me. He was actually angry at the prospect of letting me in!
So rather than tangle with him I looked ahead, saw another gap, and this
time that driver let me in. As I pulled in and waved thank you, I could see
the first driver shaking his fist and still screaming. Side note: his wife
and kids were in the car, watching their patriarch lose his temper over
yielding to another driver. Wonder what kind of impression that made on
them?

Anyways, for me it was a nice ending to a MFFY episode.

Old January 15th 05, 09:22 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

Old January 15th 05, 10:14 AM
Brent P

In article >, AZGuy wrote:
> A lot of time when there are lanes on the right that end and the
> people have to merge a lot of the people in the thru lane just hate
> like hell to let anyone in. I often hang back a bit when traffic
> starts moving to make the guy behind me also hang back and then
> accelerate quickly to form a gap between me and the guy behind me so
> the guy to the right has a gap to merge into. Anyone else do that
> for anyone? I could really hang back and let them in in front of me
> but you have to draw the line somewhere....

I don't use that method but I often will create a gap behind me. However,
most of the people I encounter decide they HAVE to be in front of me.
The person coming down the ramp doesn't care there is gap about as big as
the state of iowa behind me, it's that minimum following distance space in
front of me they want. Same thing for people exiting. Instead of changing
lanes behind me, they accelerate hard to cut me off and then exit. I
usually am able to block these moves, but it's irritating.

Old January 15th 05, 10:14 AM
Brent P

Old January 15th 05, 10:17 PM
Christopher Green

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:21:21 -0700, AZGuy > wrote:

>A lot of time when there are lanes on the right that end and the
>people have to merge a lot of the people in the thru lane just hate
>like hell to let anyone in. I often hang back a bit when traffic
>starts moving to make the guy behind me also hang back and then
>accelerate quickly to form a gap between me and the guy behind me so
>the guy to the right has a gap to merge into. Anyone else do that
>for anyone? I could really hang back and let them in in front of me
>but you have to draw the line somewhere....

It's a bummer when you don't read the mind of the guy in front of you
well enough to know that he's about to hit the brakes just as you
accelerate.

Too many sudden moves like that actually add to congestion more than
they relieve it.

--
Chris Green

Old January 15th 05, 10:17 PM
Christopher Green

Old January 15th 05, 11:47 PM
AZGuy

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:17:34 GMT, Christopher Green >
wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 00:21:21 -0700, AZGuy > wrote:
>
>>A lot of time when there are lanes on the right that end and the
>>people have to merge a lot of the people in the thru lane just hate
>>like hell to let anyone in. I often hang back a bit when traffic
>>starts moving to make the guy behind me also hang back and then
>>accelerate quickly to form a gap between me and the guy behind me so
>>the guy to the right has a gap to merge into. Anyone else do that
>>for anyone? I could really hang back and let them in in front of me
>>but you have to draw the line somewhere....

>It's a bummer when you don't read the mind of the guy in front of you
>well enough to know that he's about to hit the brakes just as you
>accelerate.

I guess some of us are able to handle that better then others....

of Representatives, August 17, 1789
Old January 15th 05, 11:47 PM
AZGuy

of Representatives, August 17, 1789
Old January 16th 05, 07:37 AM
John David Galt

AZGuy wrote:
> A lot of time when there are lanes on the right that end and the
> people have to merge a lot of the people in the thru lane just hate
> like hell to let anyone in. I often hang back a bit when traffic
> starts moving to make the guy behind me also hang back and then
> accelerate quickly to form a gap between me and the guy behind me so
> the guy to the right has a gap to merge into. Anyone else do that
> for anyone? I could really hang back and let them in in front of me
> but you have to draw the line somewhere....

I would never consider doing such a criminal thing. Any headway you
can make is the property of the guy behind you, and those behind him.