A handy tip for filling up your tank.

Old December 7th 04, 03:00 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
DTJ > wrote:
>On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:52:34 -0600, Mike Behnke >
>wrote:
>
>>Makes for a nice fireball when you reach for the nozzle and a static
>>sparks send the vapors a rollin'.

>Yep, that happens ALL THE TIME. Why just the other century I
>remember...
>
>Get ****ing real. Just because you see it on the news does not mean
>it really happens. There is no way for your body to build up enough
>spark to blow up.

Gasoline vapors are easy to ignite; it can and does happen. Rarely.
However, all you have to do is touch a part of the car not near the
nozzle before you go to the nozzle, and you'll be fine.

(Note that cellphone ignited fires DON'T happen. The guy filling
my tank today was talking on his cellphone as he did it. He's the
station manager, too, not just a pump jockey.)
Old December 7th 04, 03:09 PM
N8N

The problem that I have is that I have to keep my hand on the handle to
keep it from falling out of the filler neck (Porsche 944...) in all my
other cars the gas cap does double as a handy handle lock.

nate

Old December 7th 04, 06:32 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, N8N wrote:

> The problem that I have is that I have to keep my hand on the handle to
> keep it from falling out of the filler neck (Porsche 944...)

Ditto ('62 Lancer...)
Old December 7th 04, 06:32 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old December 8th 04, 07:21 PM
Mike Behnke

Not hypothetical. Read up.

http://www.staticfire.org/mopress.html
http://www.esdjournal.com/static/refuelfr.htm

Old December 8th 04, 07:21 PM
Mike Behnke

Old December 8th 04, 09:47 PM
Paul

"Henry H. Hansteen" > wrote in message

> While filling up at a particularly slow pump, I discovered
> that a stick of lip balm is the perfect size to keep the
> fuel flowing while I wait in my truck warm and dry as the
> tank fills.

From my experience when I worked at a gas station one summer during my
college years, a slow pump means a nearly empty storage tank and that
you are just pulling up all the water, rust and other crap at the bottom
of the tank. Do you really want to put that into your vehicle?

--

Friends don't let friends shop at wal-mart or circuit city.