Leaky Passat

Old April 1st 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Leaky Passat

Can anyone shed any light on this bizarre leak. I have a 2001 Passat
that has recently decided to convert the rear passenger side foot well
into a swimming pool. Every time I sponge the water out the following
day it seems to be just as bad. I know I live in Scotland but I didn't
think it had rained that much. Is this a common problem or am I on my
own???

Old April 1st 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I would check the trunk, and especially the seal around the trunk lid and
make sure there's no leaves or other debris blocking the drainage path.

I haven't seen this specifically on an '01 Passat but I've seen it on a
number of Jettas. It seems like the trunk seal isn't quite as watertight as
it could be, and any blockage in the drain path will let water go right over
the seal. And from the trunk it's a fairly easy path for water to get to the
rear passenger footwells.

- FM -

oups.com...

Old April 1st 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Known problem with this car in a couple of areas you may want to check.
There is a drain under the battery in the engine compartment that may be
clogged with leaves or debris, allowing the battery compartment to fill with
water and flood the passenger compartment through pollen filter area.
Remove battery and clean drain, then remove rubber grommet that restricts
opening.

Another possible cause are clogged sunroof drains. You will see rubber
nipples when you open the doors, squeeze them and see if water comes out.
Some have successfully cleaned drains by running stiff wire from sunroof
through drains, but you run the risk of disconnecting them internally.

You should pull back front carpet on both sides and look for additional
flooding, CCM module is on drivers side at lowest point, usually floods and
fails when this problem occurs

Can also be other causes--visit www.passatworld.com and read the write-ups
on flooding problem,, lots of great info.

oups.com...

Old April 2nd 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Bingo!

Old April 6th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Must be the "LOG Leak Ness ""monster I think but no joke is your heater core
leaking?? famous for V.W
lousy construction. moony.
oups.com...