Things that make you feel old !

Old July 2nd 05, 10:21 PM
Kruse

Default Things that make you feel old !

William Claude Dukenfield wrote:

> Today he stopped over to show me his "new" '95 Mustang. His Dad said
> if he had a good driving record for a year, kept his grades up, and
> paid his own insurance, he could have one.
> HE'S 17 !!!!!! I THOUGHT HE WAS ABOUT 12 !!!!! HE CAN DRIVE A CAR
> ???
> (I kept my cool, didn't say anything, and didn't go inside screaming
> until after he left ;-)
> - My first Mustang was a '66, it was new ;-)

I moved away from there in '98, but I used to live in a suburb of
Dallas, TX. A rich suburb. Anyway, at that time, the gift a lot of high
school graduates got was a new Mustang GT. It didn't seem quite right
to me, but I guess that's because every car that I ever owned I had to
work for. Whatever.
BTW, my first car was a '66 Mustang. It was used, however. A warmed
over '69 302 and a toploader four-speed was the drivetrain. It had the
factory 140 MPH speedo and quite a few times I had it buried. Gawd, I
hope my kids don't EVER do what I did......

Old July 3rd 05, 12:26 AM
SVTKate

Nice story

Sooooo...
maybe you should let the kid do your yardwork.. help him buy fuel and
insurance for his Mustang
Kate

"William Claude Dukenfield" <William Claude > wrote in
message ...
: This spring a neighborhood skinny little kid came by to ask if he
: could mow my lawn.
:
: I unfortunately had to say I use a lawn/yard service that does that,
: and much more for me (gutters, weeding, hedges, etc.).
:
: And besides he looked to young to be pushing a lawn mower about.
:
: I see him occasionally, wave, and we say hello, talk about the
: weather. He loves my '05 Mustang Conv.
:
: Today he stopped over to show me his "new" '95 Mustang. His Dad said
: if he had a good driving record for a year, kept his grades up, and
: paid his own insurance, he could have one.
:
: HE'S 17 !!!!!! I THOUGHT HE WAS ABOUT 12 !!!!! HE CAN DRIVE A CAR
: ???
:

Old July 3rd 05, 03:13 AM
Alias

>> Things that make you feel old !

The first time I was called "Sir" by a teenager. 8( That really made me
feel old.

Alias

Old July 3rd 05, 08:25 PM
Spike

My grandparents next door neighbors came over from Italy. They opened
a pizza place. Within one year, the had added a steak house, a shoe
store, and a dress shop. Later they added another pizza place. They
had three sons. The oldest a senior in high school, the second was a
junior, and the third was 14. Within that first year the two older
boys had brand new 'vettes (1966).... and the 14 year old had a custom
El Camino he couldn't even drive, but he was out nearly every day
washing and polishing it. Every time one of the older ones cracked up
a car, the parents bought them a new one

My first real car was when I was 22, when I returned from Vietnam, I
bought a 5 year old 65 Ford Mustang Fastback for $1000. And I had been
working from the 4th grade on.... started with a TV Guide route, and
worked up from there.

Seems like what you have to work and wait for you appreciate more.

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 15:55:57 -0500, William Claude Dukenfield <William
Claude > wrote:

>This spring a neighborhood skinny little kid came by to ask if he
>could mow my lawn.
>
>I unfortunately had to say I use a lawn/yard service that does that,
>and much more for me (gutters, weeding, hedges, etc.).
>
>And besides he looked to young to be pushing a lawn mower about.
>
>I see him occasionally, wave, and we say hello, talk about the
>weather. He loves my '05 Mustang Conv.
>
>Today he stopped over to show me his "new" '95 Mustang. His Dad said
>if he had a good driving record for a year, kept his grades up, and
>paid his own insurance, he could have one.
>
>HE'S 17 !!!!!! I THOUGHT HE WAS ABOUT 12 !!!!! HE CAN DRIVE A CAR
>???
>
>(I kept my cool, didn't say anything, and didn't go inside screaming
>until after he left ;-)
>

>- My first Mustang was a '66, it was new ;-)

Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Speech
Old July 3rd 05, 08:28 PM
Joe

William Claude Dukenfield <William Claude > wrote
in news
>>My first car was a '63 Corvair Convt, GREAT car!

> http://www.cotse.net/users/newd/pix/monza.jpg

The best Corvairs were the 2nd gen. 1st gen cars had VW-style swing
axles that were responsible in part for Ralph Nader's attack. The
later cars ('65 and up) had Corvette-style independent rears which
were awesome. I owned three of them at various times...

Here's a pretty decent Corvair link:
http://www.corvaircorsa.com/
Old July 3rd 05, 08:29 PM
Spike

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 02:13:14 GMT, "Alias"
> wrote:

>>> Things that make you feel old !

>The first time I was called "Sir" by a teenager. 8( That really made me
>feel old.
>
>Alias

That one I got over. Sitting in a bar at LAX the cocktail waitress
took my order and started to walk away.... stopped... came back and
asked for identification. I passed it over... she looked at it and
apologized. I was 30+ at the time. I told her not to apologize. When I
was underage it was an "insult", but at my age (then) it was a
compliment. She bought my drinks.... but she got a BIG tip.... : )