97 4.0L Stalling

Old September 20th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Art McClinton

Default 97 4.0L Stalling

My wife is complaining about our Ford Explorer (97) stalling while she is
driving at approximately 35 on a narrow hilly road. It has only happened
twice in the past month but it has not stalled in many a year. Currently
126K miles. It is a well maintained car (but question how I can say that
with the stalling). I did buy a cheap code reader and it is referencing
codes of P0171 and P0174 which are right and left bank too lean.

Any recommendations on possible causes?

Thanks

Old September 20th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses[_2_]

"Art McClinton" > wrote in message
> My wife is complaining about our Ford Explorer (97) stalling while she is
> driving at approximately 35 on a narrow hilly road. It has only happened
> twice in the past month but it has not stalled in many a year. Currently
> 126K miles. It is a well maintained car (but question how I can say that
> with the stalling). I did buy a cheap code reader and it is referencing
> codes of P0171 and P0174 which are right and left bank too lean.
>
> Any recommendations on possible causes?
>
> Thanks

I can't swear to this because I have so many Fords but I seem to remember my
daughter's '97 stalled a couple of times. I think I cleaned the IAC,
throttle body, MAF, put in a new air cleaner, and cleaned the connection on
the Crankshaft Position Sensor. No stalling for a couple of years now.
These items may not necessarily be related as there was, at one time, no
spark which was probably the Crankshaft Position Sensor or the battery.

Old September 21st 08, 09:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bigusdickus

On Sep 20, 7:15*pm, "Art McClinton" > wrote:

Does it tick over rough as well? I remember there was a recall for the
timming chain tesioner. Part of this was the renewal of the intake
manifold o rings which became hard and stopped sealing the intake
manifold, causing unmeasured air into the system, weak mixture.
Old September 22nd 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses[_2_]

"Bigusdickus" > wrote in message
On Sep 20, 7:15 pm, "Art McClinton" > wrote:

Does it tick over rough as well? I remember there was a recall for the
timming chain tesioner. Part of this was the renewal of the intake
manifold o rings which became hard and stopped sealing the intake
manifold, causing unmeasured air into the system, weak mixture.

Good point. I would be good to know if Art has the SOHC or the OHV engine.

96 Grand Cherokee - Stalling... Replaced CPS .... Different stalling voodoochild Jeep 0 January 21st 06 03:17 AM
94 SL1 Stalling BxP9 Saturn 4 September 21st 05 12:57 AM
96 Grand Cherokee - Stalling... Replaced CPS .... Different stalling [email protected] Jeep 25 August 26th 05 06:51 AM
Car keeps stalling schiebs08 Technology 0 June 5th 05 12:34 AM
VR6 Stalling Alex Hopwood VW water cooled 0 November 28th 04 12:35 PM