update on `71 ghia restoration - pics

Old February 14th 05, 05:26 AM
Alex Gilblom

Default update on `71 ghia restoration - pics

Hi,

So, I got the car up on homemade blocks and have the engine about 80% ready
to be pulled. After getting a look under the car, I'm surprised to find the
pans in MUCH worse condition than I previously assumed. I'm thinking of
dropping the engine to work on myself and giving the body to a shop to work
over because it's a tad too much for a newcomer like me. Anyway, I have four
pics...would have had more but the batteries were dead when I took the
camera over. Just for ****s and giggles, I drove my truck over behind the
Ghia and hooked up jumper cables to see if the starter would still click
over (no one has tried since 1989). Sure enough, that starter clicked over.
I only gave it juice for a split second because I have no idea of the
conditions inside the engine...But it was nice to see I hadn't blown a fuse
or anything else had rotted away. What also gave me a chuckle was how it
took a whole day to drain all the oil, not that it surprised me.

-Alex

http://www.alexander-david.com/71ghia/rear1.JPG
http://www.alexander-david.com/71ghia/rearright.JPG
http://www.alexander-david.com/71ghia/right1.JPG
http://www.alexander-david.com/71ghia/topright.JPG

---
1971 Convertible Ghia
1969 Sunroof Beetle
---

Old February 14th 05, 01:56 PM
Remco

Cool car!
I dropped the engine out of my type 1 last week -- it was my first
time. I think pictures are our friends when it is ready to be put back
in.

The body doesn't look in terrible shape. Any rot elsewhere other than
the pans? Is a body off on a Ghia much worse than a bug?

Old February 16th 05, 05:20 AM
Alex Gilblom

There's a bit in the engine comparment, battery area and such. I dunno about
taking the body off, it's beyond me...

-Alex

oups.com...

Old February 16th 05, 10:15 AM
ThaDriver

Pulling the body on a Ghia & pretty much the same as a bug. It's a little
different shape, but mounts in the same way.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"