98 Explorer/Mountaineer Steering gear

Old June 20th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Esteban

Default 98 Explorer/Mountaineer Steering gear

I spent an hour at the local Ford dealership while having the wife's Mustang
serviced yesterday, I had a nice visit with one of the salesman. I just
happened to mention I needed to replace the steering gear/rack & pinion in
my 98 Mountaineer for the second time in 110,000 miles. The salesman told
me that was a weak link in all those types of vehicles (too much weight on
the front of the vehicle) and I wasn't the only one to have those types of
probelms.
I have not read anything like that in the many different newsgroups I lurk
through. Would any of you more knowledgeable folks care to comment on this
issue.
Thanks,
Steve

Old June 22nd 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

The operative phrase here is "salesweasel".... If this guy actually knew
anything, he would be much higher up on the food chain.

You don't say "why" the rack needed changing the first time... nor do you
mention "why" it needs changing now..... There are several ways a part can
fail - and this can make a difference in what we judge as a root cause.
FWIW, we do change the odd rack on Explorers... and we change the odd rack
on just about everything else out there too....

Old June 22nd 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Esteban

"Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> The operative phrase here is "salesweasel".... If this guy actually knew
> anything, he would be much higher up on the food chain.

LOL, I agree completely.

> You don't say "why" the rack needed changing the first time... nor do you
> mention "why" it needs changing now..... There are several ways a part can
> fail - and this can make a difference in what we judge as a root cause.
> FWIW, we do change the odd rack on Explorers... and we change the odd rack
> on just about everything else out there too....

First change @ 75000: Lag between turning steering wheel and wheels
turning.
Now @ 110,000. Leaking shaft on drivers side. Both boots are shot.. The
powersteering reservoir looses half of it's capacity in three weeks of
around town driving.
Also, a mess on the garage floor. BTW, this vehicle has not been off paved
roads in the past 35,000 miles.
Thanks for the reply,
Steve

Old August 18th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
taz

My bet is the quality of the parts being peddled,although I admit to buying
at Autozone for my last rack.Works well so far.