Fuel Consumption RPM MPH

Old August 10th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
galsaba

Default Fuel Consumption RPM MPH

I think rating fuel consumtion for comperasion purposes can be
misleading.
Wont a 3.5 Liter car will consume less fuel in high speeds compares to
2.5?

Where can I find answers or charts that show fuel consumtion vs speed
for various engine sizes?

Also, what would be the RPM when an automatic gear 3.5 L car is at 75
MPH?
what would be the RPM when an automatic gear 2.5 L car is at 75 MPH?

galsaba

Old August 10th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ray

galsaba wrote:
> I think rating fuel consumtion for comperasion purposes can be
> misleading.
> Wont a 3.5 Liter car will consume less fuel in high speeds compares to
> 2.5?
>
> Where can I find answers or charts that show fuel consumtion vs speed
> for various engine sizes?
>
> Also, what would be the RPM when an automatic gear 3.5 L car is at 75
> MPH?
> what would be the RPM when an automatic gear 2.5 L car is at 75 MPH?
>

> galsaba

the closest you'll probably come to is fueleconomy.gov

and the only rule is there are no rules, because my 5.7L Firebird gets
better real world fuel economy than my co-worker's 2.5L Cougar.
Old August 10th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
galsaba

To be more specific -
Toyota Camry V6 or Nissan Altima 3.5.compares to Camry 2.4, or compares
to Nissan Altima 2.5 - all driving same road (same tires, etc.)

75 MPH.

Old August 10th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

galsaba wrote:

> I think rating fuel consumtion for comperasion purposes can be
> misleading.
> Wont a 3.5 Liter car will consume less fuel in high speeds compares to
> 2.5?

It depends. Here are some of Consumer Reports' results:

Toyota Camry 3.5L: 32 MPG highway, 16 MPG city
Toyota Camry 2.4L: 36 MPG highway, 16 MPG city

Chevy Malibu 3.5L: 38 MPG highway, 18 MPG city
Chevy Malibu 2.2L: 38 MPG highway, 16 MPG city

Are you trying to justify to your spouse the extra cost of a V-6?

Old August 10th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

For what it's worth I drove both the 4 and 6 cylinder version of the
Camry. In my opinion they both were very powerful engines that are
appropriate for that car. If there was a difference in acceleration it
was so small that I could not notice it. If you really concentrate
when the engines are at an idle, it is possible to notice a slight more
vibration from the 4 cylinder than the 6. Otherwise it is a push. I
read somewhere that Toyota developed the V6 for the USA market because
people there like engines with more cylinders. It helps sell cars.

The V6 because it is a bigger engine will probably use a little more
gas at highway speed.

I don't know the V6 is worth the substantial premuim in price, but that
is my opinion.

galsaba wrote:
> To be more specific -
> Toyota Camry V6 or Nissan Altima 3.5.compares to Camry 2.4, or compares
> to Nissan Altima 2.5 - all driving same road (same tires, etc.)
>
> 75 MPH.
>

> Kevin Mouton wrote:
> > galsaba wrote:
> > > I think rating fuel consumtion for comperasion purposes can be
> > > misleading.
> > > Wont a 3.5 Liter car will consume less fuel in high speeds compares to
> > > 2.5?

> > Not necessarily.
> >

> > > Where can I find answers or charts that show fuel consumtion vs speed
> > > for various engine sizes?

> > Depends on what manufacturer you are talking about. The factory
> > engineers have such specs, but it might be hard to find it on the net.
> > One thing is for sure. If all else is equal , then the faster you go
> > the more fuel you will consume.
> >

> > > Also, what would be the RPM when an automatic gear 3.5 L car is at 75
> > > MPH?
> > > what would be the RPM when an automatic gear 2.5 L car is at 75 MPH?

> > There again, you can't compare apples to oranges. You need to have all
> > other variables the same to come up with the sort of figure you are
> > talking about. Different cars have different gear ratios in the
> > transmission and differential as well as different size tires based on
> > which size engine they have in them. All that has to be taken into
> > consideration.
> >

> > > galsaba

> > The engine displacement is one of the things least affecting the total
> > fuel efficiency of a vehicle. Many other factors must be taken into
> > consideration. The aerodynamics of the vehicle, gear ratios, type of
> > emmission controls, weather or not it is naturally asperated, etc., all
> > affect fuel economy. Basic engine design plays a lot into how efficient
> > the engine will consume fuel as well. It is just not as simple as
> > saying a larger engine burns more fuel, because you have to factor in
> > the weight of the car wind resistance and all that other stuff to get
> > an idea of how efficient the vehicle as a whole will be.
> >
> > Kevin

Mercury Marquis fuel problem??? [email protected] Technology 8 June 14th 06 02:17 AM
Ping Tigger: case study on rear O2 sensor and fuel trim Stephen H Honda 0 December 24th 05 05:37 AM
4200 miles in six days in a C6 - fuel use notes for Dad Vandervecken Corvette 9 December 7th 05 10:43 PM
Starting Problems McNick Jeep 12 October 1st 05 03:58 AM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 03:41 PM