Bad smelling air through vents.

Old February 17th 05, 12:57 AM
Mark T.

Default Bad smelling air through vents.

I have an 84 Chrysler New Yorker and when I turn the air on, the air has a
bad smell coming through the vents for the first few minutes then it goes
away. Now I did have the car setting up for a while (almost 2 years) and
drove it very seldom during this period. So is there something that builds
up in the duct lines when you let a car sit up? Is there anything I can do
to clean it out?
--
Thanks in advance.

Old February 17th 05, 05:50 AM
Arthur

If it smells a bit like horse sweat, it could be a/c refrigerant.

Old February 17th 05, 07:44 PM
Mike Romain

You got some good answers over on the other group.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 17th 05, 08:04 PM
Steve

Arthur wrote:

> If it smells a bit like horse sweat, it could be a/c refrigerant.

I don't think so. Horse sweat smells like ammonia, and there hasn't been
ammonia in car refrigeration systems... well... EVER. And it hasn't been
used in any other kind of consumer refrigeration system since the
1930s. Both R-134a and R-12 (the only OEM automotive refrigerants) are
odorless, although the oils that escape with them have an odor somewhat
like transmission fluid.

Old February 19th 05, 11:12 AM
itsallgood

Perhaps you've been providing free rent to a family of mice for two
years. They left some presents and even some of their loved ones.

Old February 24th 05, 09:17 PM
Jack VR4

This could def be the case... but the smell would not go away after a
while, it would get worse.

If it smells sweet (like coolant) it could be the heater core. You
usually smell it initially, but after time you either get used to it
and don't notice it anymore, or it leaks so slowly that the initial
smell was the result of sitting for an extended perios of time.

Sometimes the pump could be at fault... if it smells like burning, but
not like a mouse is on fire, it could be the pump or a belt.

Old February 24th 05, 10:48 PM
Bill Putney

Jack VR4 wrote:

> ...not like a mouse is on fire...

Oh don't you just hate it when that happens! My cat doesn't know what
to do in those situations!

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')