highest psi creatable by hand-crank mechanism?

Old January 22nd 05, 04:28 PM

Default highest psi creatable by hand-crank mechanism?

What are the commercially available mechanisms/devices that would allow
creation of very high levels of hydraulic pressure by human movement?
Bicycle type of mechanism is preferred.

I'm already familiar with the Enerpac product line. Anything goes to
higher levels?

Old January 22nd 05, 07:22 PM
Brian Whatcott

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:40:54 -0500, Jeff Wisnia

>> What are the commercially available mechanisms/devices that would allow
>> creation of very high levels of hydraulic pressure by human movement?
>> Bicycle type of mechanism is preferred.
>>
>> I'm already familiar with the Enerpac product line. Anything goes to
>> higher levels?
>>

>You didn't describe your application in great detail, but if you don't
>need a lot of flow, consider the possibility of using a hand operated
>grease gun.
>
>Jeff

[I trimmed out a hobby group]

To get a feel for the pressures available, consider a grease gun with
a ten inch arm, where the hydraulic piston is linked at 1 inch from
the pivot: a 10:1 advantage.
If the pin is 1/4 inch diameter, and the pressure on the lever arm is
40 lbs tops, then the force on the piston is 400 lb., and the pressure
is 400/ (piX1/8 X 1/8) psi = 8150 psi.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Old January 22nd 05, 07:59 PM
carl mciver

> wrote in message
oups.com...
| What are the commercially available mechanisms/devices that would allow
| creation of very high levels of hydraulic pressure by human movement?
| Bicycle type of mechanism is preferred.
|
| I'm already familiar with the Enerpac product line. Anything goes to
| higher levels?

Since pressure and flow are inversely proportional with the same amount
of work applied, you can get several thousand psi but the flow will be
extremely small, or lots of flow with minimal pressure.

There are hydraulic booster pumps that allow existing hydraulic systems
to pump even higher pressures in separate systems, like an air operated
hydraulic pump. Of course flow still continues to decrease as pressure
increases.

Old January 22nd 05, 09:50 PM
Jonathan Barnes

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> What are the commercially available mechanisms/devices that would allow
> creation of very high levels of hydraulic pressure by human movement?
> Bicycle type of mechanism is preferred.
>
> I'm already familiar with the Enerpac product line. Anything goes to
> higher levels?

I'm not familiar with Enerpac, what pressure do they go to ?

Two stage hydraulic pumps are fairly common, most are set to change over
from the low pressure stage at about 150 PSI, and have their relief valve
set for a maximum of around 3000 PSI from the high pressure second stage...

What pressure do you want ?

--
Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device
there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Old January 22nd 05, 11:03 PM
N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)

Dear Jonathan Barnes:

"Jonathan Barnes" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> What are the commercially available mechanisms/devices that would allow
>> creation of very high levels of hydraulic pressure by human movement?
>> Bicycle type of mechanism is preferred.
>>
>> I'm already familiar with the Enerpac product line. Anything goes to
>> higher levels?
>>

> I'm not familiar with Enerpac, what pressure do they go to ?

They have products that go to 10,000 psi.

David A. Smith