floor pan questions

Old February 11th 05, 01:47 AM
Briantelope

Default floor pan questions

Ok, so I'm going to take the body off the pan this weekend I believe. I
think a six pack will help me lure three friends into helping! Now,
while I've got it off, I've got holes in the back of both sides of the
pan--bigger on the passenger side of course. I'm reluctant to replace
the entire pan, and I'm not sure if I want to mess with the rear half
pan pieces w/o the seat track. Maybe just pick up two of the battery
tray pieces? ( like this one http://tinyurl.com/4mkt2 ) what do you all
think?

Also, I've got a little hole on the driver side, bottom corner of the
side panel (right up against the fender, etc). Where should I look for
a small piece to patch that?

Thanks everyone--first time I've done this kinda restore work! Taking
it slow, doing it right...

Here she is if anyone was wondering: http://www.unc.edu/~bhill/56.jpg

Also, door panels are in decent condition, all there, but a little
dirty. And the back seat is pretty much still upholstered with orig.
material. I'm leaning towards redoing it all, since I'll have to do the
headliner too (and I'm not uber-anal about originality, just slightly!
Keep it the right color...etc). Would anyone be interested in this
stuff if I decide to do my own? And I guess if anyone wants other
original chrome stuff, I may replace that too, if anyone wants it that
badly. I figure one completely OG oval out there is better than two
partially OG !

I think that's enough for now :-p I'll leave you all alone

Brian (ah)

--
________
/ |__|__|\ *
| .\*@ /. | * thats one sick bus!
| o \ / o |
"One thing at a time, in live as in your Volkswagen" --John Muir
Old February 11th 05, 02:24 AM
Robert

I just did some floor work to my 70 Beetle. I wirebrushed everything well
to see all the holes. Cut out the flimsiest metal. Painted all the rust
with POR 15. Used non-adhesive cloth tape for mobile home roof seams and
painted that on with more POR over the pin holes. Cut a piece of thin
aluminum sheet (~1/16") for the large hole under the battery. Riveted that
in then fiberglassed in the seam. Everything came out good enough that I
can stand on all the repairs. Bob

Old February 11th 05, 02:34 AM
Briantelope

In article >,
"Robert" > wrote:

> I just did some floor work to my 70 Beetle. I wirebrushed everything well
> to see all the holes. Cut out the flimsiest metal. Painted all the rust
> with POR 15. Used non-adhesive cloth tape for mobile home roof seams and
> painted that on with more POR over the pin holes. Cut a piece of thin
> aluminum sheet (~1/16") for the large hole under the battery. Riveted that
> in then fiberglassed in the seam. Everything came out good enough that I
> can stand on all the repairs. Bob

yeah? that sounds pretty good. if I can't find some reasonably priced
pieces to weld in, I'll give that a shot

thanks!

Brian (word)

--
________
/ |__|__|\ *
Old February 11th 05, 04:29 AM
Ben Boyle

I think it all depends on what you want. My car in the past had a cheesy repair using pop rivets that began to give way.
I asked around and found a guy who does welding as a side gig in retirement. My total cost including labor and a new
half pan was $235. It looks good, and I would have more confidence in it than pop riveted patches.

Old February 11th 05, 02:21 PM
Remco

Hey Brian
Maybe take pictures on what you are doing and plaster them on the web
someplace.

I - for one - would be very interested in seeing them, since I intend
to do the same thing when the weather clears up here in CT.

I have one of the bugme videos, showing you how to do it - should you
want to borrow it, let me know.

Remco

Old February 11th 05, 03:18 PM
Briantelope

In article .com>,
"Remco" > wrote:

> Hey Brian
> Maybe take pictures on what you are doing and plaster them on the web
> someplace.
>
> I - for one - would be very interested in seeing them, since I intend
> to do the same thing when the weather clears up here in CT.
>
> I have one of the bugme videos, showing you how to do it - should you
> want to borrow it, let me know.
>
> Remco

awesome, thanks man. I'll definitely post some pics once I start doing
it

Brian

--
________
/ |__|__|\ *
Old February 11th 05, 03:19 PM
Briantelope

In article >,
"Ben Boyle" > wrote:

> I think it all depends on what you want. My car in the past had a cheesy
> repair using pop rivets that began to give way.
> I asked around and found a guy who does welding as a side gig in retirement.
> My total cost including labor and a new
> half pan was $235. It looks good, and I would have more confidence in it than
> pop riveted patches.

yeah, I do have a guy with a welder that would do it for nothin', so
that's a plus..

Brian

--
________
/ |__|__|\ *
Old February 12th 05, 04:26 AM
dragenwagen

If you are going to pull the body off why not go full bore and replace both
the pan halves using FULL pans? I think it was worth it... but thats my
opinion... : ) Kinda sweet knowing that there is new metal in the
floor...

http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen/pics/69wagen130.jpg

************************************************** **************
dragenwagen
1966 Type I - Daily Driver
1969 Type I - Undergoing heater channel replacement
http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen
"Old VW's Don't Leak Oil, They Mark Their Territory."
************************************************** **************

Old February 12th 05, 07:24 AM
ThaDriver

My 2 cents:
If you're *restoring* an oval, weld in new high-quality (the thick ones)
floor pans. Check previous posts & you'll find the info on the best pans
(I don't have it).
If you're building a daily driver & don't care if it's original, then
rivet in some nice thick sheetmetal (aliminum or steel) & seal it with
brushable seam sealer. No need (In fact it's worse) to "seal" it with
fiberglass.
On the 1/4 panel hole, I would cut out the rust & weld in a peice of scrap
steel.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Old February 12th 05, 03:44 PM
Briantelope

In article >,
"dragenwagen" > wrote:

> If you are going to pull the body off why not go full bore and replace both
> the pan halves using FULL pans? I think it was worth it... but thats my
> opinion... : ) Kinda sweet knowing that there is new metal in the
> floor...
>
> http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen/pics/69wagen130.jpg

mainly because I don't want to pay twice as much for them :-p but I know
what you mean. I may just wait until I've got some more bread to
replace them. hmm

Brian

--
________