The Last Really Good Chrysler Product

Old October 23rd 04, 02:56 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Joe wrote:

> He's telling you the truth. We have 3% of the population and use 25% of
> the energy. If only India and China come up to 1/10 (one-tenth) of our
> standard of living, where's the extra energy going to come from? Anybody
> got any ideas? China's economy is growing at about 10% a year or so.

And the worst part is, it doesn't have to be this way. We could
simultaneously reduce greenhouse gas emissions, preserve and multiply
American jobs and greatly retard the increase of oil prices.

All we'd have to do is quit buying from China.

Old October 23rd 04, 04:16 AM
Deke

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
. umich.edu...

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Joe wrote:
>
> > He's telling you the truth. We have 3% of the population and use 25% of
> > the energy. If only India and China come up to 1/10 (one-tenth) of our
> > standard of living, where's the extra energy going to come from? Anybody
> > got any ideas? China's economy is growing at about 10% a year or so.

> And the worst part is, it doesn't have to be this way. We could
> simultaneously reduce greenhouse gas emissions, preserve and multiply
> American jobs and greatly retard the increase of oil prices.
>
> All we'd have to do is quit buying from China.

And have to give up $39 DVD players, $99 DVD/VCRs, and $230 27" TV/DVD/VCR
units?
Not to mention all those fine tools and car parts we would miss out on.
Never happen.

Old October 23rd 04, 04:16 AM
Deke

Old October 23rd 04, 04:38 AM
Bill Putney

Ted Azito wrote:

> My uncle...
>
> Yes, he's a peckerwood...

Please define "peckerwood". Is it like "redneck"? Or is it like art,
i.e., hard to define, and you just know it when you see it.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

Old October 23rd 04, 04:38 AM
Bill Putney

Old October 23rd 04, 04:43 AM
Bill Putney

James C. Reeves wrote:

> Thus the reason we, as a people, will always repeat history. We simply refuse
> to learn from it...then cry the blues when it does happen (why didn't the
> President do something?) when it's all our own fault. Oh well...hang on. Glad
> my commute is only 4-miles and I have a telecommute option. I can go over a
> month on a tank of gas if I absolutely must. Now the fuel oil to heat my house
> is a bigger problem!! :-(

Not to worry - help is on the way. If JK gets elected, all he'll have
to do is say to Saudi Arabia "Hey guys - could you lower the prices a
little?", and they'd say "Oh - ummm - OK!". Problem solved. 8^)

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

Old October 23rd 04, 04:43 AM
Bill Putney

Old October 23rd 04, 04:55 AM
Ted Azito

The Omnorizons were good cars for basic transport. My main beef with
them vis-a-vis the VW Rabbit/Golf (early ones had Rabbit/Golf
drivelines) was no diesel-unlike the VW, Ford Escort, and Shovette. I
have heard it's possible, with a little fabrication, to swap a VW
engine and trans in them and the little mini-pickup 024 with a VW TDi
and five speed would be cool.

But they would run longer than the owners wanted them to usually.

The Slant 6, despite its three main bearing lower end, is a pleasant
enough engine and it's a shame there never was a small enough, and
rustproof enough, chassis for them to shine. With three sidedrafts and
tube header exhaust they would be pretty swank. If memory serves they
have a different bolt pattern than any Mopar V8 and to add to the
misery unless they were sold with a manual there's no crank pilot
hole, which is a pain in the ass to have drilled out because it has to
be done on a lathe rather than a crank grinder.

The asymmmetrical XNR would make a great kit (hint,hint.)

As I remember, the Nissan SD33 was sold by Chrysler as a "Chrysler
Nissan Diesel" (replete with a so-embossed chrome rocker box cover)
and it had a standard Mopar bolt pattern. Was it that of a /6 or one
of the V8's? These were sold as a Chrysler Industrial product and not
put in cars but Tony Capana did a bunch of swaps. They suffered from
lack of a 5 speed manual or a four speed Torqueflite but today that
would be remediable. One of the old Valiants with the trunk lid
reminiscent of a Westinghouse 45° washer would make a good host for
one of these great engines,especially if someone could figure out how
to get a pushbutton transmission controller to work with a four speed
Torqueflite.

Old October 23rd 04, 06:06 AM
Art

Yeah like Bush solved any problems in the last 3.5 years. Give us all a
break. The guy is one catastrophe after another.