Ford Explorer 1998 Eddie Bauer Trailer hitch.

Old August 9th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
JW[_1_]

Default Ford Explorer 1998 Eddie Bauer Trailer hitch.

Is it possible to add a hitch tho this vehicle !?!?

Many thanks,

Old August 9th 06, 12:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Vic Klein

Yes, the step bumper is already rated as a Class II hitch capable of 3000
lbs pull. Just add a ball.

=Vic=
Bear Gap, PA

ups.com...

Old August 10th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
JW[_1_]

What about connecting it to the SUV's lighting system !?!?

Many thanks

Old August 10th 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
JW[_1_]

Also (forgot to add this !) why did U-Haul refuse to rent us a trailer
!?!?!

Old August 10th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Vic Klein

Behind the driver's side taillight you will find a connector harness. Go to
Wal-Mart and buy the trailer lighting kit from Hopkins that matches your
model for about $15-20 and that will insert there and give you the plug to
attach to the trailer on Explorers that came with "tow prep" (virtually all
of them, I think). The Explorer is already equipped with the coversion to
combine the separate amber turn signals and the brake light that the trailer
needs.

=Vic=
Bear Gap, PA

ps.com...

Old August 15th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Al Williams

This has to do with their lawyers and the Explorer/Firestone tire issue.
Search back in this forum and you will long discussions on this stupid
policy.

--
Allan Williams

ps.com...

Old September 1st 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
shizznick

Go to your local Ford Dealership, service counter and have them order you a
"pigtail" for connecting a trailer plug. I went all over trying to find
anyone to install a hitch and wiring, with no luck. Which actually saved me
a lot of $$$. Did the wiring myself in 10 minutes and installed the reese
hitch in 30 mins.