Blower motor shut off with no power

Old July 14th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Default Blower motor shut off with no power

So I have been messing with this darn 1998 Concorde with Auto AC for 4
days now, about 6 months ago the blower motor went on HIGH and wouldnt
turn off no matter where the knob was, common problem I hear, well
then the ATC readout unit dealy stopped displaying anything but still
worked for the temp. Well about a week ago the blower motor just
stopped and wouldnt turn on again, I bought a new motor thinking the
high constant just killed it but it still dosent work! I am buying a
new ATC unit for the car to see if that helps but Im worried Im sinking
money into it when its just going to be something more costly. Any
suggestions? I looked for fuses but didnt find any that were blown etc.
THANKS!

Old July 14th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dan[_1_]

On 13 Jul 2006 16:10:31 -0700, wrote:

>So I have been messing with this darn 1998 Concorde with Auto AC for 4
>days now, about 6 months ago the blower motor went on HIGH and wouldnt
>turn off no matter where the knob was, common problem I hear, well
>then the ATC readout unit dealy stopped displaying anything but still
>worked for the temp. Well about a week ago the blower motor just
>stopped and wouldnt turn on again, I bought a new motor thinking the
>high constant just killed it but it still dosent work! I am buying a
>new ATC unit for the car to see if that helps but Im worried Im sinking
>money into it when its just going to be something more costly. Any
>suggestions? I looked for fuses but didnt find any that were blown etc.
>THANKS!

The blower motor probably uses a high current resistor "network" to
control fan speed. It's located in the ductwork, to benefit from the
cooling effect of the air flow. Some of these resistor gizmos have
fuses in them, others just rely on a fuse link burning out if it draws
too much current. My best guess is that you need to replace the fan
speed resistor to bring the motor back to life. When the blower motor
was stuck on high, that was the first sign that the resistor thing was
starting to go. Next thing that happens is the last resistor blows,
and the motor won't run at all. But it doesn't blow the fuse in the
fuse box.

Old July 15th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Thanks for the reply, however, where can I find a blower motor resistor
for a 98 concorde? I cant seem to find it anywhere!

Old July 15th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thanks for the reply, however, where can I find a blower motor resistor
> for a 98 concorde? I cant seem to find it anywhere!

Apparently you haven't contacted your local dealer yet

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 15th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

wrote:
> So I have been messing with this darn 1998 Concorde with Auto AC for 4
> days now, about 6 months ago the blower motor went on HIGH and wouldnt
> turn off no matter where the knob was, common problem I hear, well
> then the ATC readout unit dealy stopped displaying anything but still
> worked for the temp. Well about a week ago the blower motor just
> stopped and wouldnt turn on again, I bought a new motor thinking the
> high constant just killed it but it still dosent work! I am buying a
> new ATC unit for the car to see if that helps but Im worried Im sinking
> money into it when its just going to be something more costly. Any
> suggestions? I looked for fuses but didnt find any that were blown etc.
> THANKS!

As the owner of both a '98 Concorde (with ATC) and a '99 Concorde
(without ATC), here's the scoop from someone who's BTDT:
(1) The ATC control head display goes blank due to surface mount
components popping loose from the p.c. board. They can be resoldered
(by someone who knows what they're doing), but it may be just as well to
get one from a junk yard. Go to
www.car-part.com and drill down for the
car and part you're looking for, and you'll find oodles of the ATC
controllers for as low as $35 at a place near you (and hopefully you get
one without the same problem - if you do, then solder it or have someone
competent do so).
(2) It's a good thing you didn't spend good money on a blower motor
resistor pack, because the ATC system does not have a resistor pak
per-se. Instead, it has an ATC Power Module located in the same
vicinity (an electronic version of the non-ATC (manual) system resistor
pak). You'll also find that at www.car-part.com for peanuts.

I hope you didn't buy any new parts at new part prices yet!

Oh - and here's a photo of the area with the parts that come loose from
the p.c. board and that may need to be resoldered to get the display
back (R21, R20, R14, C16 in the upper right corner of the photo - remove
the p.c. board from the casing to get to them):
http://images14.fotki.com/v336/photo...G_0834b-vi.jpg

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 20th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Well Im bout to give up on this crap, the only thing I can find is a 97
resistor which I guess isnt the same thing and my local dealer wants to
charge me boatloads for the damn part, I got a new atc unit for $24 but
dont think thats going to do the trick.

Thanks for your help.

Old July 20th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

wrote:
> Well Im bout to give up on this crap, the only thing I can find is a 97
> resistor which I guess isnt the same thing and my local dealer wants to
> charge me boatloads for the damn part, I got a new atc unit for $24 but
> dont think thats going to do the trick.
>

> Thanks for your help.

No man! You're too close to getting it - I won't let you quit.

One correction to my previous post: What I referred to as the ATC Power
Module is called the ATC Blower Control Module.

On car-part.com, for the part, you would choose,"Computer Box Not
Engine", then you'll have to choose a sub-category. You'll pick
"Temperature (Climate), (underheater)". Yeah - I know - kind of
cryptic. The part is the same for '98 thru at least '02 - so try
different years one at a time. It will be Chrysler part number
4734913AD or 4734913AE (AE was a later revision of the same part
starting in '01 - either will work - ...AE will be from a newer car, so
may be a better part). If you go that route, make sure you have them
read the Chrysler part number out to you - or you're probably safe if
they agree that the part they have is called the ATC Blower Control
Module - emphasize to them that it has to be from an ATC system - not
from a car with manual temp. controls (otherwise, you'll be getting the
resistor pack - not what you want).

HERE IS ANOTHER VERY GOOD ALTERNATIVE:
Go to the forums on
www.dodgeintrepid.net.

There are at least 2 guys on there that routinely strip parts out of
junk yards LH cars (Intrepids, Concordes, 300M's - all use the same
exact part) and put them up for sale at decent prices, and they maintain
a top notch reputation on that site. Plus if they don't have it in
hand, they will grab one on their next trip to the junk yard.

They are very familiar with these ATC system parts - they are popular
parts because people will often convert from the manual temp. controls
to the ATC (which I am getting ready to do on my '99 Concorde) - they
often will pull all the components for a complete swapout to convert
manual temp. control to ATC. But they also sell the individual parts.

You will want to contact either "Torontofirecaptain" (real name Ross) or
Gigamight (real name Jeff) through the private messaging (PM) system on
the forums. If you do a search there on their names, you will find
where they have items for sale, but better to PM them 'cause they may
not list the part you're looking for in any particular thread.

You're so close to getting it working for lack of one inexpensive part -
don't give up now.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 20th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

If you go the www.dodgeintrepid.net route, instead of PM'ing
Torontofirecaptain or Gigamight, you could just as easily put a "WTB..."
(Want To Buy) post in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum there.

I would title it "WTB: ATC Blower Control Module". One or both of those
two guys (or possibly additional others) will reply with an offer to
sell you one (might be a good oppotunity to pick up some other
inexpensive miscellaneous parts for you Concorde once you get hooked up).

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 20th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ken Weitzel

Bill Putney wrote:
> wrote:
>> Well Im bout to give up on this crap, the only thing I can find is a 97
>> resistor which I guess isnt the same thing and my local dealer wants to
>> charge me boatloads for the damn part, I got a new atc unit for $24 but
>> dont think thats going to do the trick.
>>

>> Thanks for your help.
>>

> No man! You're too close to getting it - I won't let you quit.
>
> One correction to my previous post: What I referred to as the ATC Power
> Module is called the ATC Blower Control Module.
>
> On car-part.com, for the part, you would choose,"Computer Box Not
> Engine", then you'll have to choose a sub-category. You'll pick
> "Temperature (Climate), (underheater)". Yeah - I know - kind of
> cryptic. The part is the same for '98 thru at least '02 - so try
> different years one at a time. It will be Chrysler part number
> 4734913AD or 4734913AE (AE was a later revision of the same part
> starting in '01 - either will work - ...AE will be from a newer car, so
> may be a better part). If you go that route, make sure you have them
> read the Chrysler part number out to you - or you're probably safe if
> they agree that the part they have is called the ATC Blower Control
> Module - emphasize to them that it has to be from an ATC system - not
> from a car with manual temp. controls (otherwise, you'll be getting the
> resistor pack - not what you want).
>
> HERE IS ANOTHER VERY GOOD ALTERNATIVE:
> Go to the forums on
www.dodgeintrepid.net.

> There are at least 2 guys on there that routinely strip parts out of
> junk yards LH cars (Intrepids, Concordes, 300M's - all use the same
> exact part) and put them up for sale at decent prices, and they maintain
> a top notch reputation on that site. Plus if they don't have it in
> hand, they will grab one on their next trip to the junk yard.
>
> They are very familiar with these ATC system parts - they are popular
> parts because people will often convert from the manual temp. controls
> to the ATC (which I am getting ready to do on my '99 Concorde) - they
> often will pull all the components for a complete swapout to convert
> manual temp. control to ATC. But they also sell the individual parts.
>
> You will want to contact either "Torontofirecaptain" (real name Ross) or
> Gigamight (real name Jeff) through the private messaging (PM) system on
> the forums. If you do a search there on their names, you will find
> where they have items for sale, but better to PM them 'cause they may
> not list the part you're looking for in any particular thread.
>
> You're so close to getting it working for lack of one inexpensive part -
> don't give up now.

Hi...

I'll second that... course I'm an old retired electrical guy, not
a mechanic...

I'll even betcha a dollar against a stale donut that he doesn't have
to buy a new module

Given that it's now virtually dead odds are much in my favor that he's
just lifted some component off the board, and all it needs is a bit
of solder re-flowing.

However, having said that soldering nicely is a bit of an art, so
it the op (can't write all them numbers for a name) isn't handy at
it and/or doesn't have a nice pencil maybe he shouldn't do it.
But further bet that he does have if he looks someone in his life
like a neighbor or relative or friend who'd be willing to do it for
him

I like chocolate coated donuts

Take care.

Ken

Old July 20th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Spam Hater

In article >,
Bill Putney > wrote:

> They are very familiar with these ATC system parts - they are popular
> parts because people will often convert from the manual temp. controls
> to the ATC (which I am getting ready to do on my '99 Concorde) - they
> often will pull all the components for a complete swapout to convert
> manual temp. control to ATC.

UGH?
My '95 Concord has ATC which I usually turn off.
My wife's Sebring has MTC which I prefer.
Maybe I should trade my ATC for MTC. <