Lanny's Alignment Specs/wear question

Old June 9th 05, 04:40 PM

Default Lanny's Alignment Specs/wear question

Last time I had new tires put on my Miata, I had the shop set my
alignment to Lanny's specs: http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

This sets my car up perfect for me. Expected consistant oversteer when
pushed too hard, near perfect tracking although there is a towards the
right drift on roads with a higher than normal crown. I have stock sway
bars, springs etc. I'm just under 200lbs, car normally had no
passenger. Junk in trunk is usually a laptop and quart of oil.
Lately, well the last couple years actually, I've been broke. Somehow
when ever I need something, I manage to get it, but there isn't the
comfort zone in the checking account like there used to be. Because of
this, I waited as long as I possibly could to get new tires, the front
had obviously worn the outside of the tread much faster than the rest
of the tire and the rear had worn close enough to even that I couldn't
tell the difference. I had to get tires this month because the tires
were well past their useful life, having only the faintest trace of the
tread pattern left, wet traction was minimal at best and at least one
tire had a slipped belt or something that caused awful shaking at
highway speed.
I don't like to run my tires that long, but I had to.
Next month I have to get the car inspected. Along with inspection I
planned to have them align the car and the day before I want to swap my
power steering rack for a manual rack, that's why I didn't have it done
with the tires.
Has the car gone very far out of it's alignment in the front based on
significant difference in wear on the front?
Do you think I can get away without having the alignment/rack swap done
for about a month without a big problem or will I get poor alignment
because of wear on the tires over that period of time? I drive about 82
miles a day/5 days a week. Weekend used varies from none to 100 miles
over 2 days. 15 miles a weekend is normal. 85% is highway.

Thanks.
Karl & Maverik
90B Red, Khumo 732 on 14" 2000 rims. (trying them on a recomendation,
usually run Toyo/Yokohama)
82 Kawasaki GPz 550
Also 01 Ford Windstar with big orange for sale signs in windows.

Old June 9th 05, 08:19 PM
Iva

karl wrote:
> Last time I had new tires put on my Miata, I had the shop set my
> alignment to Lanny's specs: http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html
>
> This sets my car up perfect for me. Expected consistant oversteer when
> pushed too hard, near perfect tracking although there is a towards the
> right drift on roads with a higher than normal crown. I have stock sway
> bars, springs etc. I'm just under 200lbs, car normally had no
> passenger. Junk in trunk is usually a laptop and quart of oil.
> Lately, well the last couple years actually, I've been broke. Somehow
> when ever I need something, I manage to get it, but there isn't the
> comfort zone in the checking account like there used to be. Because of
> this, I waited as long as I possibly could to get new tires, the front
> had obviously worn the outside of the tread much faster than the rest
> of the tire and the rear had worn close enough to even that I couldn't
> tell the difference. I had to get tires this month because the tires
> were well past their useful life, having only the faintest trace of the
> tread pattern left, wet traction was minimal at best and at least one
> tire had a slipped belt or something that caused awful shaking at
> highway speed.
> I don't like to run my tires that long, but I had to.

<snippage>

When you had the shop do the alignment, did they put ballast in the driver's
seat or allow you to sit there while they worked? That can make a huge
difference in the alignment. Also, were the wheels and tires balanced when
mounted? If not, that could explain the wear in the front.

Nice to "see" you again!

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old June 10th 05, 04:04 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

Right cause IIRC Lanny's set up is likely to wear a bit extra on the inside
edges, inviting you to drive very hard on the curves to wear down / even-out
those pesky outside tread depths.

92BB&T
Chris

Old June 12th 05, 02:31 PM

Nice to see you too. Yes, I had the shop put 175 lbs of ballast in the
driver's seat, as they didn't have enough sand bags to stick in to
match my 185lbs at that time. I didn't think the 10lbs made too much of
a difference.
Wheels were balanced also.

Old June 12th 05, 02:34 PM

That's what I'm thinking as well. I'll reply with the before numbers
when I get it done.
So can I drive a month before getting the alignment and still be
relatively ok for new specs? Or should I wrangle some cash to get the
new rack put in A.S.A.P with an alignment?

Is it reasonable to have a "warranty" on a car alignment (AAA Automark)? Russell Technology 18 April 19th 05 05:43 PM
General front end alignment question James Technology 7 April 9th 05 03:46 AM
Alignment? Problem john smith Corvette 4 January 22nd 05 02:07 PM
Basic Alignment Question AlanRab Mazda 1 November 23rd 04 03:28 AM