Best PS2 F1 Sim

Old November 7th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Billy[_5_]

Default Best PS2 F1 Sim

Since people are asking if this NG is dead, I'll throw out something new,
or, old in this case.

I don't sim race any more. I just don't have the time to spend on practice
and car setup. So I'd like to just do some console racing, but I'm not
really a fan of the acrade racers. What's the best F1 sim for PS2? The
last F1 sim I got any serious use out of is GP2. Other than graphics, how
do the PS2 sims compare?

Thanks.

Old November 9th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jan Verschueren

"Billy" wrote..
> Since people are asking if this NG is dead, I'll throw out
> something new, or, old in this case.
>
> I don't sim race any more. I just don't have the time to
> spend on practice and car setup. So I'd like to just do
> some console racing, but I'm not really a fan of the
> acrade racers. What's the best F1 sim for PS2? The last F1 sim I got any
> serious use out of is GP2. Other
> than graphics, how do the PS2 sims compare?

Let's get something straight right off the bat: you can't link words
implying racing simulation and any console in the same sentence, period.
There never has been a true racing simulation on the console platform and,
IMNSHO, there'll never be one (too much of a niche market, I'm afraid).
Closest so far, I guess, have been Race Driver, GTx (take your pick between
x=2 to 4) and the MotoGP series of _games_.

Jan.
=---

Old November 12th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Billy[_5_]

"Jan Verschueren" > wrote in message
> "Billy" wrote..
>> Since people are asking if this NG is dead, I'll throw out
>> something new, or, old in this case.
>>
>> I don't sim race any more. I just don't have the time to
>> spend on practice and car setup. So I'd like to just do
>> some console racing, but I'm not really a fan of the
>> acrade racers. What's the best F1 sim for PS2? The last F1 sim I got
>> any serious use out of is GP2. Other
>> than graphics, how do the PS2 sims compare?

> Let's get something straight right off the bat: you can't link words
> implying racing simulation and any console in the same sentence, period.
> There never has been a true racing simulation on the console platform and,
> IMNSHO, there'll never be one (too much of a niche market, I'm afraid).
> Closest so far, I guess, have been Race Driver, GTx (take your pick
> between x=2 to 4) and the MotoGP series of _games_.
>
> Jan.
> =---

Yeah, well, I bet "real" race drivers don't consider anything without 3-axis
movement, a reality sized video display, and a cockpit to be a "real"
simulator. Be that as it may, I'd like to find something (preferably an F1
sim, game, whatever) that provides the gameplay of say, GP2 on a PS2. It
has the horsepower, and there are several F1 "games", but I don't really
want to buy them all to see if any of them are any good. Also, are any of
the steering wheel controllers any good? My biggest dissapointment with my
old PS1 was the control, (or lack thereof) provided by any of the steering
wheels. I think the problem was actually in the software, because the
calibration routines indicated that the wheels had decent resolution, but in
actual use, there was a huge dead spot in the middle.

I may have to try MotoGP. I'm a big moto racing fan. There's actually a US
rider who occassionally runs at the pointy end of the field.

Old November 13th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy,

"Billy" > wrote in message
> "Jan Verschueren" > wrote in message
>> "Billy" wrote..
>>> Since people are asking if this NG is dead, I'll throw out
>>> something new, or, old in this case.
>>>
>>> I don't sim race any more. I just don't have the time to
>>> spend on practice and car setup. So I'd like to just do
>>> some console racing, but I'm not really a fan of the
>>> acrade racers. What's the best F1 sim for PS2? The last F1 sim I got
>>> any serious use out of is GP2. Other
>>> than graphics, how do the PS2 sims compare?

>> Let's get something straight right off the bat: you can't link words
>> implying racing simulation and any console in the same sentence, period.
>> There never has been a true racing simulation on the console platform
>> and, IMNSHO, there'll never be one (too much of a niche market, I'm
>> afraid). Closest so far, I guess, have been Race Driver, GTx (take your
>> pick between x=2 to 4) and the MotoGP series of _games_.
>>
>> Jan.
>> =---

> Yeah, well, I bet "real" race drivers don't consider anything without
> 3-axis movement, a reality sized video display, and a cockpit to be a
> "real" simulator.

How much are you willing to bet? ??
Dale Earnhardt Jr, just for one example of several, has been "sim" racing,
Online, with me and others using "simulators" like Papyrus's nascar Racing
series, and now iRacing, for over 12 years now.

FWIW,
it was not that long ago that huge monitor systems were super expensive
(plus everyone new they would eventually get cheaper, like they have over
time) was something even jr would blow al lot of money on. sure he had 21
inch CRT's when the rest of cheaper folks moved "all they way up to 17's" or
so, but everything else he used, was just like you and I would buy or setup.

so you are not correct in the above statements.

Old November 13th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryR

>>Also, are any of the
>>steering wheel controllers any good? My biggest dissapointment with my old
>>PS1 was the control, (or lack thereof) provided by any of the steering
>>wheels. I think the problem was actually in the software, because the
>>calibration routines indicated that the wheels had decent resolution, but
>>in actual use, there was a huge dead spot in the middle.

I believe the Logitech G25 works with the PS2 (and PS3)...