old sims

Old September 29th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Default old sims

Give Sun VirtualBox a try. Faster than VirtualPC, AND it supports USB,
etc... And it's free now

I installed Ubuntu on it in about 15 min.

-Larry

Old September 30th 08, 12:26 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Adamo Contadino

pjgtech > wrote in news:Rl1Ek.81087$KV1.72325
@newsfe25.ams2:

> Net Q RAC rally (once the grip patch had been applied) was a great rally
> sim.

Is that the British one that we call Mobil1 Rally over here? I have that
one if it is what you are talking about.
Old October 4th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
APLer

"Luvrsmel" > wrote in :

> Anyone here like digging out the old 1st generation pentium box, blowing
> off the dust and firin' her up for some old racing games? I decided to
> do that last week and actually had some fun with Nascar2 (DOS), Nascar1,
> Need For Speed SE, and the surprisingly fun Network Q RAC Rally
> Championship (1996) by Virgin Interactive....all running on Windows 95
> and Dos. Hmm maybe I have just too dam much time on my hands lol..

Actually for adjustability (real word?) and realism, Viper Racing beats
GPL IMHO. The only limitation really is the state of the add-ons - buggy
and not very good. It's 16 bit graphics though. Try Sports Car GT too if
you have a GL card. Viper *really* needs over 200Mhz to work half decently
though.

Old October 4th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
murph1012[_2_]

"GaryR" > wrote in message
> I'm just about to EBay a system I put together just for old sims. PIII
> 600, VooDoo 5 video, Windows 98, Saitek X36 (?) HOTAS, Longbow and
> Falcon 4.0 (1.08) loaded on it...

Better make sure the caps are good (Rubycon's) or you will most likely be
getting a NEG for your efforts.

Old October 4th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
murph1012[_2_]

"pjgtech" > wrote in message

>> You don't have to build a "retro" pc to play old games, just download two
>> programs, one called dosbox and the other called D-Fend (both are
>> freeware). Dosbox will emulate an older pc on any modern pc, but its a
>> bit clunky, especially if you have forgotten all those old dos commands,
>> so D-Fend is a windows friendly frontend program for Dosbox.

A posting line wrap could be your friend.

I know of several games that won't work on any processor that is faster than
500-600MHz.
Some games will just freak out running on a faster processor than they were
coded for.
GPL is one & then there is the DirectX issue.

Old October 4th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jimmy Jazz

"murph1012" > wrote in
:

> A posting line wrap could be your friend.
>
> I know of several games that won't work on any processor that is
> faster than 500-600MHz.
> Some games will just freak out running on a faster processor than they
> were coded for.
> GPL is one & then there is the DirectX issue.

GPL has fixes for both those issues. Also, there are utilities that will
slow down your cpu to make any game playable on them. Search fro CPUGrab on
google and Winthrottle. Higher values in CPUGrab means it uses more of the
cpu so will slow it down more.
Old October 4th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
LuvrSmel

"Adamo Contadino" > wrote in message
> pjgtech > wrote in news:Rl1Ek.81087$KV1.72325
> @newsfe25.ams2:
>
>> Net Q RAC rally (once the grip patch had been applied) was a great rally
>> sim.

> Is that the British one that we call Mobil1 Rally over here? I have that
> one if it is what you are talking about.

Yes that is the British one...the real live event.
I'm running it on an AMD K5/233 MHz system, a 4mb Rage II card, IBM Mwave
ISA audio, 64mb simms and it runs very well.
The cars lean into the corners, you have bumper, interior, and high cam
driving choices. All the cars sound different than the other, you have night
driving, rain (w/lightning), snow (while snowing!).
It has tuning setups and also works with my GForce Wingman Force Feedback
wheel. All around a great classic Rally sim...

Old October 5th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Jimmy Jazz

"Luvrsmel" > wrote in :

> Yes that is the British one...the real live event.
> I'm running it on an AMD K5/233 MHz system, a 4mb Rage II card, IBM
> Mwave ISA audio, 64mb simms and it runs very well.
> The cars lean into the corners, you have bumper, interior, and high
> cam driving choices. All the cars sound different than the other, you
> have night driving, rain (w/lightning), snow (while snowing!).
> It has tuning setups and also works with my GForce Wingman Force
> Feedback wheel. All around a great classic Rally sim...

Yea, it was good but it makes my FFB wheel shake way too much.
Old October 9th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
murph1012[_2_]

"Jimmy Jazz" > wrote in message
> "murph1012" > wrote in
> :
>
>> A posting line wrap could be your friend.
>>
>> I know of several games that won't work on any processor that is
>> faster than 500-600MHz.
>> Some games will just freak out running on a faster processor than they
>> were coded for.
>> GPL is one & then there is the DirectX issue.
>>

> GPL has fixes for both those issues. Also, there are utilities that will
> slow down your cpu to make any game playable on them. Search fro CPUGrab
> on
> google and Winthrottle. Higher values in CPUGrab means it uses more of the
> cpu so will slow it down more.

Why too much hassle using all these patches and gimmicks to run old games on
a new fast computer.
Much easier I have found to run the game on the speed of a computer that it
was designed for. Plus older computers use less power/electricity and run
cooler. Why fire up a 650 watt computer when 200 watt will do just fine.
Plus there's a certain "Feel" to the game on a computer that it was designed
for. Also many Graphic card issues to deal with... DirectX related or not,
some poorly coded games were designed to run on certain graphic cards
only... Why do you think they bundle games to sell graphic cards?

Old October 9th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

> GPL has fixes for both those issues.

Simple still, just install GPL 2004 Demo which has all the fixes, then
copy the remaining tracks (all but Watkins Glen) from you GPL cd-rom.

http://www.bhmotorsports.com/GPL/downloads/3239

I also recommend getting the ring trainer for Nurburg.

http://www.joachimblum.de/ringtrainer.htm

Comparison of Various Sims Steve Simpson Simulators 1 May 13th 06 03:33 PM
Indycar sims? Tim Hall Simulators 13 February 25th 06 01:33 AM
F1 sims? What is it with you guys? Dave Henrie Simulators 34 May 5th 05 04:36 PM
LCD dissapointing for sims Tim Epstein Simulators 21 March 20th 05 05:21 PM
ALT TAB and Sims Neil Charlton Simulators 7 December 6th 04 05:12 PM