Transmission Pan Removal

Old July 25th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
fab4 via CarKB.com

Default Transmission Pan Removal

Is it better to use the gasket that comes with the after market transmission
filter kit ,or use Black RTV on the transmission pan after replacing the
filter?

Old July 25th 07, 10:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

fab4 via CarKB.com wrote:
> Is it better to use the gasket that comes with the after market transmission
> filter kit ,or use Black RTV on the transmission pan after replacing the
> filter?

There's a third option: Have the dealer order the metal sandwich gasket.
Very reliable, re-usable (up to 3 times - the life of the vehicle for
most people), no problems separating pan the next drop, no risk of
reaction of ATF with uncured RTV, and, in general, less dependent on the
skills and attention to detail of the installer. The choice is yours.
All three will work fine. RTV is the least desireable in most people's
opinion for the reasons stated.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 25th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jdoe[_1_]

One other thing to add is to NOT use the aftermarket filter either. Take it
from someone who had one disintegrate and grenade a trans

Old July 25th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

I second Bill's recommendation. The metal/silicone gasket has served me
well on three different Chrysler vehicles.

Bob

Old July 26th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_3_]

"fab4 via CarKB.com" <u7257@uwe> wrote in message news:75adccdbaf1c9@uwe...
> Is it better to use the gasket that comes with the after market
> transmission
> filter kit ,or use Black RTV on the transmission pan after replacing the
> filter?

I never have any trouble at all using RTV. The key is to leave it overnight
before you fill it up.

Old July 26th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
fab4 via CarKB.com

Thanks!

Old July 26th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

fab4 via CarKB.com wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> Bill Putney wrote:
>
>>>Is it better to use the gasket that comes with the after market transmission
>>>filter kit ,or use Black RTV on the transmission pan after replacing the
>>>filter?

>>There's a third option: Have the dealer order the metal sandwich gasket.
>> Very reliable, re-usable (up to 3 times - the life of the vehicle for
>>most people), no problems separating pan the next drop, no risk of
>>reaction of ATF with uncured RTV, and, in general, less dependent on the
>>skills and attention to detail of the installer. The choice is yours.
>>All three will work fine. RTV is the least desireable in most people's
>>opinion for the reasons stated.
>>
>>Bill Putney
>>(To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>>address with the letter 'x')

You're welcome!

Post back with vehicle information (make - model - year) if you need the
gasket part number. Many dealer parts guys/gals do not know these
gaskets exist, but the part numbers for the various Chrysler
transmissions are given in a TSB that many of us have access to. Won't
take but a minute to look it up.

Or if your parts guy is ignorant of this part, tell him there is a TSB
with the part numbers in it - he should be able to search the TSB's.

Oh - what the hey - tell him it's TSB No. 21-05-99 Rev. A - "A/T Pan
Gasket - Reusable Design/Installation".

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old July 26th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Joe wrote:

> "fab4 via CarKB.com" <u7257@uwe> wrote in message news:75adccdbaf1c9@uwe...
>
>>Is it better to use the gasket that comes with the after market
>>transmission
>>filter kit ,or use Black RTV on the transmission pan after replacing the
>>filter?
>>

> I never have any trouble at all using RTV. The key is to leave it overnight
> before you fill it up.

Plain black (or blue or red) RTV is a little to particular about curing
for my taste, and even overnight I've had leaks with it.

I've switched to using Permatex "the right stuff" on all my transmission
pans from 727s and 904s to the 42LE. You can put it on, wait 10 minutes,
and then fill the pan and it will still cure correctly. No problems at
all for 6-7 years now, and its not particularly hard to open back up if
you know the tricks (drive a putty knife through it in a couple of
places, and then tap a pan corner while gently prying downward.

I plan to try the metal sandwich gasket on at least one of the cars, but
I will NEVER use a composition gasket of any sort (fiber, cork/rubber,
whatever) on a transmission pan again.

Old July 27th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

careful some of the newer pan gaskets are reusable and intended to be
"fab4 via CarKB.com" wrote:

> Is it better to use the gasket that comes with the after market transmission
> filter kit ,or use Black RTV on the transmission pan after replacing the
> filter?

88 Fox Transmission Removal [email protected] VW water cooled 5 March 8th 07 04:54 AM
transmission removal troubled Honda 0 May 21st 06 03:16 PM
Transmission extension housing removal? Ford Warrior Technology 0 October 16th 05 10:01 PM
95 Passat VR6 transmission removal malabo VW water cooled 0 September 2nd 05 05:43 AM
1994 Chrysler AWD Minivan transmission removal Ted Mittelstaedt Chrysler 4 August 30th 05 07:40 AM