95 dakota transfer case issue!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old June 26th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
3l1t3

Default 95 dakota transfer case issue!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read the manual to remove the transfer case and it says to remove
the rear
crossmember.
I have a 95 dakota slt ext cab 4x4. Problem is , the rear crossmember
on these particular trucks is welded to the fram with the torsion bars
running through it. There is now way at all to remove it. Has anyone
had to remove a t-case from one of these before? If so your help will
be greatly greatly appreciated. I cant get to work to support my
family without this truck. Please read!!

Thank you, Tim

Old June 26th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
april1st

On Jun 26, 10:20 am, 3l1t3 > wrote:
> I read the manual to remove the transfer case and it says to remove
> the rear
> crossmember.
> I have a 95 dakota slt ext cab 4x4. Problem is , the rear crossmember
> on these particular trucks is welded to the fram with the torsion bars
> running through it. There is now way at all to remove it. Has anyone
> had to remove a t-case from one of these before? If so your help will
> be greatly greatly appreciated. I cant get to work to support my
> family without this truck. Please read!!
>
> Thank you, Tim

Do you have FSM (Factory Service Manual) for this specific truck (year/
model)? If not you might consider getting a one day access to the FSM
(based on VIN number) online at www.techauthority.com (it costs $20
bucks) and printing out relevant sections.

My two cents worth,

Alex

Old June 27th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
3l1t3

On Jun 26, 2:11 pm, april1st > wrote:
> On Jun 26, 10:20 am, 3l1t3 > wrote:
>
> > I read the manual to remove the transfer case and it says to remove
> > the rear
> > crossmember.
> > I have a 95 dakota slt ext cab 4x4. Problem is , the rear crossmember
> > on these particular trucks is welded to the fram with the torsion bars
> > running through it. There is now way at all to remove it. Has anyone
> > had to remove a t-case from one of these before? If so your help will
> > be greatly greatly appreciated. I cant get to work to support my
> > family without this truck. Please read!!

> > Thank you, Tim

> Do you have FSM (Factory Service Manual) for this specific truck (year/
> model)? If not you might consider getting a one day access to the FSM
> (based on VIN number) online atwww.techauthority.com(it costs $20
> bucks) and printing out relevant sections.
>
> My two cents worth,
>
> Alex

I am using a haynes manual. It seems to be made for the non ext cab
trucks. Mine is the super cramped 318 auto 4x4 ext cab truck. What a
pain it was to just change out the engine in it. But seems even though
haynes says its for all trucks they only really cover the v6 non ext
truck which was nonsense. I should have paid the 20 bucks for the one
you suggested instead of buying that useless haynes manual. Anyways I
already wasted 20 and cant afford to waste another 20 as I am out of
work till this darn truck is running again. The T/case blew the chain
so to save me money I am pulling the t.case and removing the chain
itself to disable the front drive shaft. Hopefully it will get me a
couple more months till I can affor to replace the entire T/case with
a rebuilt unit.

Old June 27th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
april1st

On Jun 27, 12:02 pm, 3l1t3 > wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2:11 pm, april1st > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 26, 10:20 am, 3l1t3 > wrote:

> > > I read the manual to remove the transfer case and it says to remove
> > > the rear
> > > crossmember.
> > > I have a 95 dakota slt ext cab 4x4. Problem is , the rear crossmember
> > > on these particular trucks is welded to the fram with the torsion bars
> > > running through it. There is now way at all to remove it. Has anyone
> > > had to remove a t-case from one of these before? If so your help will
> > > be greatly greatly appreciated. I cant get to work to support my
> > > family without this truck. Please read!!

> > > Thank you, Tim

> > Do you have FSM (Factory Service Manual) for this specific truck (year/
> > model)? If not you might consider getting a one day access to the FSM
> > (based on VIN number) online atwww.techauthority.com(itcosts $20
> > bucks) and printing out relevant sections.

> > My two cents worth,

> > Alex

> I am using a haynes manual. It seems to be made for the non ext cab
> trucks. Mine is the super cramped 318 auto 4x4 ext cab truck. What a
> pain it was to just change out the engine in it. But seems even though
> haynes says its for all trucks they only really cover the v6 non ext
> truck which was nonsense. I should have paid the 20 bucks for the one
> you suggested instead of buying that useless haynes manual. Anyways I
> already wasted 20 and cant afford to waste another 20 as I am out of
> work till this darn truck is running again. The T/case blew the chain
> so to save me money I am pulling the t.case and removing the chain
> itself to disable the front drive shaft. Hopefully it will get me a
> couple more months till I can affor to replace the entire T/case with
> a rebuilt unit.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry to hear about the trouble -- yes, Haynes and similar manuals are
pretty much useless. I made a mistake of buying one only to discover
that what they were telling me to do something that was physically
impossible. In general I discovered that I wasted hundreds of dollars
replacing perfectly good parts b/c Haynes diagrams were "typical" and
did not show all the components. Many other people online had similar
experiences with non-FSM manuals. It really seems that you are having
a similar issue.

If you in a dire situation you might consider checking with the local
public library (many of them have catalogues online) to see if they
have FSM for your truck.

Alternatively (or in addition) you might consider posting to the
dakota specific forums such as http://www.dodgedakotas.com/

or to the dodge truck specific newsgroup (alt.autos.dodge.trucks) --
there are bound to be dozens of people around who have an FSM for the
truck -- may be someone might be willing to re-type the relevant
section for you and/or post a scan.

Two cents worth....

Old June 27th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

3l1t3 > writes:

> I am using a haynes manual. It seems to be made for the non ext cab
> trucks. Mine is the super cramped 318 auto 4x4 ext cab truck. What a
> pain it was to just change out the engine in it. But seems even though
> haynes says its for all trucks they only really cover the v6 non ext
> truck which was nonsense. I should have paid the 20 bucks for the one
> you suggested instead of buying that useless haynes manual. Anyways I
> already wasted 20 and cant afford to waste another 20 as I am out of
> work till this darn truck is running again. The T/case blew the chain
> so to save me money I am pulling the t.case and removing the chain
> itself to disable the front drive shaft. Hopefully it will get me a
> couple more months till I can affor to replace the entire T/case with
> a rebuilt unit.

Wasn't it something like yesterday somebody was asking why third-party
manuals got such bad reviews around here?

transfer case lube j[_4_] Jeep 2 March 22nd 07 11:15 PM
Transfer Case HotRod 4x4 6 July 20th 06 05:08 PM
mod 20 transfer case Steve G Jeep 6 April 18th 06 04:27 AM
88 YJ transfer case ? Greg Jeep 2 March 4th 06 03:08 PM
transfer case Firebird Jeep 9 September 13th 05 05:53 PM